X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handyman
    replied
    https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1420495538223525890

Conservatives Blast Simone Biles For Robbing Them Of Opportunity To Criticize Her Win
    :^D

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    As seen in Twitter today- most of the people calling biles weak can’t handle a mask in a store for five minutes so take a seat.

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The people who are criticizing her just have a Grey Goo machine that eats anything and outputs outrage. They live on social media and the Echo Chamber. They probably aren't even really people -- you could do the job much better with bots and they wouldn't make the spelling mistakes.
    Many of them are just looking for excuses to bring her down. One of my conservative "friends" at work tried to take her down for one of the other team members back in 2016. Not sure why- Biles got the attention because she is JUST THAT GOOD.

I see that in some F1 fans doing the same to Lewis Hamilton, even though he's the most successful driver of all time. As if none of the previous work matters. Pretty pathetic that people need to find tiny cracks of the GOATs- not ever understanding that regardless of what they do from NOW on, they will still be the GOAT.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    And Japan comes out swinging after Osaka is upset, with many people questioning her right to represent Japan. Racism out in full force and it’s not hard to see why one may struggle with mental health
    The Japanese make Republicans look like the Rainbow Coalition.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    The people who are criticizing her just have a Grey Goo machine that eats anything and outputs outrage. They live on social media and the Echo Chamber. They probably aren't even really people -- you could do the job much better with bots and they wouldn't make the spelling mistakes.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    And Japan comes out swinging after Osaka is upset, with many people questioning her right to represent Japan. Racism out in full force and it’s not hard to see why one may struggle with mental health
    Looks like that is covered heavily in the Netflix show about her.

But that's a VERY common issue with people of mixed origin. Let alone people trying to span multiple cultures. It causes massive mental stress and confusion.

And I would love to say it's a shock coming from Japan, but that would be lying.

edit- on a different note- it's fair to note that populations take this so seriously and personally, when, in fact, it's only a series of individuals competing. Most won't see the tiny fact that Osaka or Biles winning will not change their personal state in the world.
    Last edited by MichVandal; 07-28-2021, 08:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied
    Men’s basketball came back with a big 54 point win against Iran, 120-66. Iran’s the second lowest ranked team ahead of Japan, so it should’ve been a blowout, but now that the full roster is together a tune up game like that where they can get some chemistry is a good thing.

Final pool play game is Saturday against the Czechs. I was surprised to see they’re up to 12th in the world.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Biles is portrayed as a gymnastics machine, she can do stuff no one else can. Leap tall buildings in a single bound etc. I can't see her competing next week either.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Man that is straight up murder!

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied
    Ledecky dominated the first ever women’s 1500m. Another American, Sullivan, pulled off a big second half to the race to earn a surprising silver.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Money Shot!! https://twitter.com/kavithadavidson/...630042119?s=19

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    first, **** anyone with a Simone Biles take that in its entirety isn't "I support Simone Biles"

There's a great post about the Kerri strugg thing
    https://twitter.com/jj_denhollander/...783102467?s=21

"Who's carrying Kerri Strug off the mat? Oh, that's right, Larry Nassar and Marta Karolyi; a pedophile who would go on to abuse the next few Olympic teams & 100's of others, & a physically & emotionally abusive monster.

Maybe Strug's well-being wasn't the highest priority?"

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

And let's not forget, the whole reason for the original amateur only in the Olympics was a British concept (Pierre de Courbertin didn't give a darn), because the British believed only the aristocrats should take the luxury of competing in sports and how dare they have to compete against the "unwashed." (The Ancient Greek Olympic athletes were definitely pros.)
    I'm all for elitism. Just make it brains.

And I wouldn't cite the Classical Greeks as a model for egalitarianism.

I didn't know that about Courbertin, though. That's interesting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X