Clear All

• SonofSouthie
    replied
    Kevin Dobson.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/obituari...ng-1234761607/

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

The one constant through all the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again.

Cheap play, maybe, but couldn't resist.

Leave a comment:

• DrDemento
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

People (like me) who never saw a game at the Polo Grounds simply can't conceive of how impossible that feat was.

Shea Stadium was a rather long 410 to direct CF. The Polo Grounds was 480.

OTOH, look at how short the foul lines are:

Fun fact: the bullpens were located on the field of play. One of the weirdest parks in history.

Here's a heart-achingly beautiful picture with both the Polo Ground and Yankee Stadium in frame. They were just across the Harlem River from each other:

The Giants evicted the Yankees from the Polo Grounds in 1920. At least one of the two teams in the World Series played within that tiny area in 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1932, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1942, 1943, 1947, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1962, and 1964. (bold is both)
    My point about Brock was that he never seemed like a big imposing sort of guy. He ran the bases with such speed and finesse. But he really took one deep at the Polo Grounds to an area that was like Death Valley. Aaron also not known for terribly long blasts was able to do it also. Adcock was the only one of the three that could claim many of the longest home runs of his time. Speaking of which, the longest one I ever saw in person was also at the Polo Grounds as Big Frank Howard (all 6'7" of him) really tied into one against the Mets in the early 1960's. It left the park in left to left center field where you have listed 360 feet. it was a night game and the ball was still rising as it went completely over the roof above the lights! The ball was never found but estimates at the time ran from 500 to 600 feet or possibly even further!.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    The guy was a stud.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by burd View Post

I saw Adcock hit a center field home run at Chavez Ravine that looked like a line-drive single until it just never stopped.
    Like the Jackson All Star Game line drive homer that hit the light stanchion at Tiger Stadium when it was still rising.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Perhaps one of the most one sided trades ever made. Saw him hit a home run into the center field bleachers in the old Polo Grounds in NY. A feat only accomplished 3 times in major league history (I also saw Joe Adcock do it). i believe Hank Aaron was the third one to do it. Over 3000 hits and over 900 stolen bases. Pretty sure the Cubs and all Chicago fans felt at the time he was traded for Ernie Broglio that they got the better part of that deal!
    I saw Adcock hit a center field home run at Chavez Ravine that looked like a line-drive single until it just never stopped.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Perhaps one of the most one sided trades ever made. Saw him hit a home run into the center field bleachers in the old Polo Grounds in NY. A feat only accomplished 3 times in major league history (I also saw Joe Adcock do it). i believe Hank Aaron was the third one to do it.
    People (like me) who never saw a game at the Polo Grounds simply can't conceive of how impossible that feat was.

Shea Stadium was a rather long 410 to direct CF. The Polo Grounds was 480.

OTOH, look at how short the foul lines are:

Fun fact: the bullpens were located on the field of play. One of the weirdest parks in history.

Here's a heart-achingly beautiful picture with both the Polo Ground and Yankee Stadium in frame. They were just across the Harlem River from each other:

The Giants evicted the Yankees from the Polo Grounds in 1920. At least one of the two teams in the World Series played within that tiny area in 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1932, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1942, 1943, 1947, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1962, and 1964. (bold is both)
    Last edited by Kepler; 09-07-2020, 01:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DrDemento
    replied
    Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    Lou Brock, 81.
    Perhaps one of the most one sided trades ever made. Saw him hit a home run into the center field bleachers in the old Polo Grounds in NY. A feat only accomplished 3 times in major league history (I also saw Joe Adcock do it). i believe Hank Aaron was the third one to do it. Over 3000 hits and over 900 stolen bases. Pretty sure the Cubs and all Chicago fans felt at the time he was traded for Ernie Broglio that they got the better part of that deal!

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied
    Lou Brock, 81.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    Tom Seaver. 75.
    Sorry to hear that. I'm sure Kep doesn't feel particularly good after this one.

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied
    Tom Seaver. 75.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    Sisters of the Poor will p-ss on his grave. Maybe shoulda put in the backups for the second half there Johnny.

Leave a comment:

• SonofSouthie
    replied
    John Thompson.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...son-dies-at-78

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied
    This one doesn't feel real.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X