Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GQP Thread: I'm even sick of that ****** number and, anyway, he's gone (for now)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Good article on the effect of the normalization of property violence by the Left and lethal violence by the Right.

tldr: we are going to have to roll that back if we want to avoid becoming Northern Ireland.
    The rioting and property destruction absolutely need to stop. I get the anger and righteous indignation (I use that term cautiously) after outrageous injustices, but violence doesn't stop other violence. All it does is make the cause look bad and embolden the Rittenhouses of the world.
    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

The rioting and property destruction absolutely need to stop. I get the anger and righteous indignation (I use that term cautiously) after outrageous injustices, but violence doesn't stop other violence. All it does is make the cause look bad and embolden the Rittenhouses of the world.
      It needs to stop from the inside. The last thing we need is for suburban rich white liberals to throw urban poor blacks under the bus. AGAIN.

I'm not going to tell people who have been ****ed that bad that long what the parameters of their anger are. The bottom line stripped of everything is they have depended on us and every time it's inconvenient we throw them to the Nazis as a bargaining chip, and if I were they I wouldn't be playing by our rules anymore either.

Yes, it would be great if it stopped. But I don't pretend to know what life is like for people under real threat. If it was my kids lives I doubt I'd stop short of torching the local B of A.

Plus have you met the Right? They don't need any pretext -- they'll just make one up after. They count the guns and they are raring to go.

So other than just backing down the rhetoric, I don't know what else we can do. Some sort of massive non-violent pro-democracy movement where we all stop buying goods until they pass protections for voting. Grab the vampire squid and squeeze it until they force their bought Senators to do the right thing.

Last edited by Kepler; 11-24-2021, 10:08 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Judas! How could you???

https://***********/thedailybeast/st...536586241?s=21

Comment

It needs to stop from the inside. The last thing we need is for suburban rich white liberals to throw urban poor blacks under the bus. AGAIN.

I'm not going to tell people who have been ****ed that bad that long what the parameters of their anger are. The bottom line stripped of everything is they have depended on us and every time it's inconvenient we throw them to the Nazis as a bargaining chip, and if I were they I wouldn't be playing by our rules anymore either.

Yes, it would be great if it stopped. But I don't pretend to know what life is like for people under real threat. If it was my kids lives I doubt I'd stop short of torching the local B of A.

Plus have you met the Right? They don't need any pretext -- they'll just make one up after. They count the guns and they are raring to go.

So other than just backing down the rhetoric, I don't know what else we can do. Some sort of massive non-violent pro-democracy movement where we all stop buying goods until they pass protections for voting. Grab the vampire squid and squeeze it until they force their bought Senators to do the right thing.

****, the first Pride was a riot and my queer elders threw bricks at cops.

And as someone who is under that threat, I'm really tired of being told "they go low, we go high." It's more like "they go low, we bury their bones too deep to find."
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• I'm not interested in telling people how they should feel, so I won't get into that at all.

But the violence almost always scares away people who might otherwise be on your side. The great middle that isn't a nazi but isn't a lefty either. The huge group of people that vascillate between R and D. You need, at least, some of those folks and you don't win them over by rioting.

I'm not talking about protests and rallies. Virtually all of last summer's BLM protests were peaceful. But what got 100% of the headlines?
            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

That is a really good article.

One of the points that I don't think people consider enough is the discussion about another civil war, and how unlikely it is simply because the geography is different. It's not north and south, divided by a line of state borders, but instead, little internal geographical differences on a state by state basis between urban and rural residents. There is this tendency by many in the media and on social media to turn this into a midwest/deep south versus east coast/west coast battle, but that just isn't true.

But I chuckled at this in the article. When Mason was asked about the "cause" of the increase in political violence in the country, this was her response.

So what's causing it? One cause is this increasingly not just polarized but really kind of nasty politics where we have started to vilify people in the other party to dehumanize them, to think of them as evil rather than just politically wrong. The outcomes of elections become much more dire.

At lease we don't have to put up with that in Cafe, right?

The other thing she is right about is the very first, and most important step, is to tone down the rhetoric and correct misperceptions about how violent the other side is.

That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I would love a good old fashioned boycott. I fear though that most Americans might be too lazy and self-centered to carry off an effective one. We don't want to go without. And on top of that we'd still hear voices saying we are doing the wrong thing, hurting the wrong people, putting innocent people out of work.

In the end we're left with nothing. There are no political solutions to our dying democracy, and too many people on the left have a stubborn streak of humanity and decency, so we're not gonna fight back with anything like the tactics the right is using.

Most decent people, and certainly most progressives, would have been horrified if on 1-6-21 law enforcement would have defended the Capitol and themselves with widescale lethal force. Yet widescale lethal force is all that side understands. The only reason they should not have been met with it is if a tactical assessment would have found that would have put the assembled law enforcement in greater danger. That was one of the excuses given, but I do not buy it. On 1-6-21 the insurrectionists were enemy combatants, and should have been dealt with like any others.

We are going to turn into Northern Ireland. Or worse. And by the time the left starts really fighting back, it will be too late to effectively save our democracy.

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post

****, the first Pride was a riot and my queer elders threw bricks at cops.

And as someone who is under that threat, I'm really tired of being told "they go low, we go high." It's more like "they go low, we bury their bones too deep to find."
                  Yes, like I said, it's up to the people who will actually die to make those choices. I'm on my parapet; I don't get a vote.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

The other thing she is right about is the very first, and most important step, is to tone down the rhetoric and correct misperceptions about how violent the other side is.
                    Misperceptions about how violent the other side it? Other than me, there are virtually no calls to violence on this board, and this forum is made up mostly of lefties and lefty leaning folks. The right commits violent acts FAR MORE frequently than the center or the left in this country. It isn't even close. Republican politicians use far more violent and incendiary rhetoric than Democratic politicians. That isn't even close either. A comedian tweets a picture of herself holding a severed dummy head of trump and her career is ended (by all rights she was not very funny and probably shouldn't have had a career in that field) and a republican politician tweets an animated video of him killing a fellow member of congress and republicans will likely re-elect him. I'd say any perception of the right being violent (and far more so than the left) are pretty much spot-on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

I'm not talking about protests and rallies. Virtually all of last summer's BLM protests were peaceful. But what got 100% of the headlines?
                      The same reason all the headlines are about Joe Biden's failed presidency and ruined economy. Cause that's what the Right are pushing. And the media lapdog are all too happy to be their demographers.

The reality doesn't matter. Only the Republican narrative.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• He made the host blink 182 times while he was talking: https://***********/Robdobi/status/1463568810288500737

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Does the "I was only joking around" defense work when one of her disciples follows through with it?

https://***********/RVAwonk/status/1463941692596367362
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Funny, she doesn't look Canadien.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• She is just bitter cause she sucks at hockey...
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• The Right gets closer and closer to their end game.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X