Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GQP Thread: I'm even sick of that ****** number and, anyway, he's gone (for now)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
    However, this assumes you're a good man. I'm not really seeing it, but Kep has hope for you.
    What I have concluded from the last decade is that to be good is not enough, you also have to act. You cannot be good and passive. If you see the baby on the train tracks, even if it's too far away, even if you're right in the middle of a really good show, even if you can't tell from your angle whether the train will go on that exact track, you have to try, or you are responsible.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      We're posting on a college hockey message board. So let's talk about this.

How exactly am I on the "side" of "actual fascists" and how exactly are you standing up for certain principles when at the same time I am not?

I stated that I don't think what Texas is doing is a good idea, or right, or something like that. I then wrote that I understand what proponents in Texas are arguing, that there has been a push from the left to ease or eliminate rules relating to voting. But that makes me a fascist, and apparently makes you and everyone else here an anti-fascist, I guess. Interesting.
      Your side is all for elimination rules and making it easier to vote as long as it’s a white rural area.

your side has also repeatedly closed locations, creating 8 hour waits. The left is trying to fix that.

but yes by all means, light it on fire and then complain it’s wet when the other side tries to put out the fire

Comment

We're posting on a college hockey message board.
        That's doesn't matter. We're talking about what we're talking about, and you have put yourself in the conversation willingly. You have repeated the same bland talking points the GOP uses to hide what they are deliberately doing. You are defending them by saying they are no big deal and nothing to worry about. You are on the continuum, someplace. like the rest of us, but you are a helluva closer to the evil end.

And that's because you don't think it's evil. The Texas GOP is "making more rules." When it's obvious to everyone else that the Texas GOP is disenfranchising people who don't vote for them to steal elections.

What exactly is American democracy if it isn't the person the voters choose wins? This isn't just Dump and his crooks -- the whole GOP has lined up to fellate him, and the GOP voters worship him.
        Last edited by Kepler; 06-01-2021, 04:44 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

With respect to things like the voting legislation in Texas, no I'm not a big fan. But they are a natural reaction to other things that are going on.

Other than a handful of people double voting for dumpy, what happened that there would be a "natural" reaction to restrict voting?

How is it "natural" in the US to restrict voting based on no actual facts?

It's very far from "natural" to enact actual anti-democratic actions just because you want power.

The fact that anyone can even pretend that they are "natural reactions" is in support of what they are doing, in spite of you not being a fan of it.

Even "not a big fan" is pretty weak.

Comment

How exactly am I on the "side" of "actual fascists" and how exactly are you standing up for certain principles when at the same time I am not?

I stated that I don't think what Texas is doing is a good idea, or right, or something like that. I then wrote that I understand what proponents in Texas are arguing, that there has been a push from the left to ease or eliminate rules relating to voting. But that makes me a fascist, and apparently makes you and everyone else here an anti-fascist, I guess. Interesting.
            Yes, the left wants to make it easier to vote. As it should be in a democracy. It should be as easy as buying stamps, or a gallon of milk.

But there are still rules. Rules that everyone who votes abides by, rules that apply to everyone, no matter your race, your ethnicity, or what part of the country you come from. Both Democrats and Republicans, all vote by the same set of rules. Not one set of rules for democrats, and a different set of rules for Republicans.

Now, if you're saying its better that rural folk, or say, maybe white folk, can just walk in to their polling station and walk out ten minutes later, while urban residents, say, especially those of darker pigmentation, have to wait in line for hours in order to do so, but that's fair, and as it should be, because the rules are the same for everyone, that's fine. Just come right out and say it.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• These are rules and laws searching for a problem to solve. There isn't even accusations of fraud in many of these states yet they feel the need to go over and above to change the rules to rig the game. If they had ANY proof that there was even attempts at shenanigans it would be one thing but there is more proof that aliens killed JFK and Elvis is still alive. That is why they never even really attempted to say fraud existed when their freedom was on the line. (under oath)

But let's say, for arguments sake, that these laws are benign. Let's say all they are supposed to do is make the voting more "legit" or whatever. Why the sudden need in some of these states to strip the SOS of their power? Why, in at least 2 states (with more to come!) can the State Leg overrule the SOS or strip them of power and declare their own winner? That is not in the ****ing Constitution! They don't get to just decide they don't like the outcome and throw it out. Provisions like that are as Anti-Democratic as they come. That isn't about "Election Integrity" that is about "Next Time Raffensburger/[insert SOS here] Will Do the Right Thing Or Else!". No amount of double talk, soft language or both sidesing will change that.

Just because a bunch of fans complain about the refs in a game doesn't mean their opinion is right. It also doesn't mean the league should unilaterally change the rules and allow the losing team to change the outcome if they thought they got screwed. That destroys the integrity of the game. If Gore had pulled this crap it would have been disgusting, and at least in his election he had a case. There were irregularities in FLA and people were playing loose and fast with the rules. That election did come down to one state and a few hundred votes overall. This election was not close and Trump lost by the same landslide he pretended to get when he beat Hillary. He got plenty of audits and recounts and not one of them showed any evidence of anything. His handpicked judges ignored his claims. The Supreme Court refused to hear it. There is zero justification for any of this, except the outright greed and thirst for power of a bunch of dickless fanatics who would rather burn the Constitution than actually live by the guidelines if a Democrat is in charge.

The only thing I will agree with Hovey about is Dems want to make it easier to vote. We do. Voting should be easy and everyone should be encouraged and allowed to do so as long as they qualify. Qualifying should entail being an American Citizen of voting age who is not currently in prison. Taking away someone's right to vote should be one of the hardest things to do in a Democracy. Make election fraud a hardcore felony if it helps you sleep better at night but why make it harder for people to help out those that might have issues getting out and voting? Why force people to wait in line for hours when you could easily accommodate everyone? Those aren't unintended consequences they do it on purpose...and it has been a tactic used by Southern Conservatives (this is where an ignorant **** will talk about how the Dems were the racists back then to try and make it sound like they understand how history and politics work!) since Reconstruction.

I mean in the space of just a few weeks Texas made it easier to carry guns everywhere but harder to vote. That isn't a ****ing coincidence and that is spreading.
              Last edited by Handyman; 06-01-2021, 06:42 PM.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Complete horse****. You said “not a big fan of.” Than means you’re fine with it. You’re fine with a state legislature awarding itself the power to decide if they want to overturn an election even if all evidence points to that not being the will of the people. You’re fine with the government placing itself ABOVE the people, rather than being in the service OF the people.

Allowing more early voting in more circumstances for more people is not easing or eliminating rules. It increases access to the ballot box - that’s it. It doesn’t allow a single new person to vote and it doesn’t reduce penalties for fraud. It simply provides greater opportunity for people to cast their same legal votes. If voting was from 2-3 pm and I make it 2-4 pm, all I’ve done is increase the likelihood that the polling places will be able to handle more votes more smoothly, should more voters choose to vote. All the “rules” of who can vote are still in place - nothing is being eased or eliminated. Democrats just want to make sure that the process goes smoothly to encourage as much voting as possible. You do agree that voting is a good thing? And that more voting would be a better thing? ‘Cause if not, then I think we found the source of the problem.
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Of course more voting isn’t a good thing! His party can’t win on ideas or platforms- all they can do is try to limit voting.

I don’t see why it’s so hard to admit. Saying Texas reaction makes sense means you don’t want people voting
                  Last edited by Deutsche Gopher Fan; 06-01-2021, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• So I was watching a special of the WWII channel that I subscribe to- this about how Hitler convinced Germans to go along with him. Mostly about propaganda and how it was used. So the plan, as laid out in Mein Kamf is pretty much exactly how the Racist party has been run for the past 40 years- they have been using Hitler's play book pretty exactly.

Yea, I'm sure the same message is put out in other books, but Hitler's key points so perfectly align with Racists Party methods, it's not even funny.

Nazis, indeed.

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                      Complete horse****. You said “not a big fan of.” Than means you’re fine with it. You’re fine with a state legislature awarding itself the power to decide if they want to overturn an election even if all evidence points to that not being the will of the people.
                      I stopped reading your post after this absurdity.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

If it's so absurd, then disavow it. Disown it. Proclaim in no uncertain terms that the Texas GOP, among others, is shredding the very fabric of our democracy simply for the objective of staying in power.

Tell us that this disgusts you and has convinced you to vote straight-ticket D in 2022 and 2024.

Let's hear it.

Otherwise, you're in league with traitors.
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I stated that I don't think what Texas is doing is a good idea, or right, or something like that. I then wrote that I understand what proponents in Texas are arguing....
                          There you go you again you, "both sides" hawk. You always have a deflection and/or find a way to qualify and justify. For just once condemn an obviously disturbing action without trying to give it justification or understanding. I don't give a **** that "some people" do one action if it's not the point. Trump could murder a million people and you'd say, "Well Hitler killed 6x as many". Seriously what is your malfunction?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                            You do agree that voting is a good thing? And that more voting would be a better thing?
                            I'm not so certain that he does.

Voting for certain well-heeled. property-owning, respected men of the community such as himself, sure.

Allowing the rabble and the hoi-polloi to vote is another thing entirely. They might make choices that he doesn't agree with.

Comment

Explain the absurdity. Ad homs aren't a rebuttal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

There you go you again you, "both sides" hawk. You always have a deflection and/or find a way to qualify and justify. For just once condemn an obviously disturbing action without trying to give it justification or understanding. I don't give a **** that "some people" do one action if it's not the point. Trump could murder a million people and you'd say, "Well Hitler killed 6x as many". Seriously what is your malfunction?
                                from Hovey

I stated that I don't think what Texas is doing is a good idea, or right, or something like that. I then wrote that I understand what proponents in Texas are arguing....
                                "Yes, Trump did murder a million people. but I can understand his reasons for doing so".

Mealy-mouthed platitudes from someone too chicken-**** to actually take a stand on anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X