Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GQP Thread: I'm even sick of that ****** number and, anyway, he's gone (for now)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by psych View Post

Breaking into the Capitol was just a case of middle-aged white men angst, amirite? They didn’t shoot anything up, or buy a red Porsche. Instead, they had lawmakers thinking their lives may be ending soon, including the Secret Service thinking the same for Mike Pence.
    At the end of the day, something like 70-80% of GOP voters think the election was stolen from Trump. More than 2/3rds of the GOP House voted to overturn the will of voters; who the **** elects these people? Sure, it’s GOP activists in some of these states, and we know activists do more than just vote and donate (the equivalent of whining, so I’m told), but at the end of the day, the GOP vote total is growing too. The electoral analysis of the 2020 election showed plenty of Drew voters- people who voted Biden at the top, but had no issue voting GOP down-ballot. As long as people keep electing officials who are okay with overturning elections, we inch closer to democracy falling apart.
    I know YOU don’t care; you’ve made your millions and keep getting richer, especially when inertia and inaction continue, especially at the federal level. That’s all you say you care about, as you’ve posted previously, and I’ll take you at your word. But to act like it’s just a handful of bad people making bad decisions in the GOP, and therefore not as serious as people on here (and plenty of non-USCHO Cafe people) believe it is, is as bad of a take as saying the GOP is the bigger tent party.
    Nah, breaking into the capitol was simply an example of mob mentality. Alone, none of those clowns would have done a thing. But put them in a mob and let people get fired up, the next thing you know you're sitting in the Speaker's office.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

That doesn't stop the orcs from arguing they're a real enemy of the state while ignoring the Qtards that outnumber islamafascists immensely.
      People will always find and identify an enemy that they're going to fight, whether it's the "Devil" or Islamic extremists or "Qtards" or "orcs" or whatever.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Insurrection on the Orient Express.

Nobody is to blame.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Like I wrote, there will possibly be a few of the rioters who are successfully prosecuted for assault/battery. Will it be a majority, or even a sizable percentage of those at the capitol that day who will be so convicted? I don't think so. I think it's more likely to be a handful or two of the rioters who ultimately get punished for harming the capitol police or others with some sort of assault/battery charge.
          In what part of this sentence do you say what they'll be prosecuted for?

"The problem with the people "on the ground" so to speak is that what they effectively did, for the most part, is commit an act of trespassing and criminal damage to public property, with possibly some sort of assault thrown in for a few of them."

As usual, you're justifying terrorists because they're "on your side." What they did was attempt to murder the vice president and members of congress. But because they didn't succeed, then maybe some of them might have possibly, perhaps, mistakenly committed an accidental assault, but it certainly wasn't egregious.

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post

In what part of this sentence do you say what they'll be prosecuted for?

"The problem with the people "on the ground" so to speak is that what they effectively did, for the most part, is commit an act of trespassing and criminal damage to public property, with possibly some sort of assault thrown in for a few of them."

As usual, you're justifying terrorists because they're "on your side." What they did was attempt to murder the vice president and members of congress. But because they didn't succeed, then maybe some of them might have possibly, perhaps, mistakenly committed an accidental assault, but it certainly wasn't egregious.
            The sentence that you quoted was taken from a longer post in which I was writing about what was, and was not, (imho) likely with respect to prosecutions of the capitol rioters, as compared with the expectations of some members of the public or media. In that particular sentence, which you selected in isolation, I reference my hunch that most of these people will be prosecuted for some sort of trespassing charge or criminal damage to property charge, with a few of the rioters prosecuted for an assault type charge.

As for "justifying terrorists" you'll have to point me to a specific post where I did that. The "as usual" is a bit too broad for me to locate it.

Comment

Nah, breaking into the capitol was simply an example of mob mentality. Alone, none of those clowns would have done a thing. But put them in a mob and let people get fired up, the next thing you know you're sitting in the Speaker's office.
              No.

It was a coordinated attack. The mob was being used as cover.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

No.

It was a coordinated attack. The mob was being used as cover.
                Well, if you're right, and Garland's DOJ can prove that, I guess we'll see all kinds of major prosecutions and substantial sentences, including of those people in the White House and Congress who participated. As I said before, I have my doubts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I'd think he'd respond differently to a bear.
                  No, no, no. Lyndsey's an otter kind of guy.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I'd think he'd respond differently to a bear.
                    Probably not as well as this, though.

Comment

Well, if you're right, and Garland's DOJ can prove that, I guess we'll see all kinds of major prosecutions and substantial sentences, including of those people in the White House and Congress who participated. As I said before, I have my doubts.
                      You think we should have some sort of investigation to find out? Or is that just a waste of time too.

Tell me, how did you feel about Islamic extremists attacking our embassy in Benghazi?

Comment

After Rudy and his ilk, and now the "recounts" in AZ and GA, and all the suppression and outright de-democratization measures in TX etc, you still have your doubts that it is the intention of the GOP to end democracy?

That is partisan blindness. I hope if it were the Left I could see it. I think I could. But what this has taught me is the Right can't be trusted. Whether by design or by willfully turning away, they won't stop a rightwing coup.

I know this because you aren't stopping one right now.

FFS. We really only have one job as Americans: hold on to the Founding Principles. We aren't a race or an ethnicity or a religion. All America is is democracy. We are the nation of democracy. Everything else: wealth, capitalism, hell even equality, is second.

We have one job. And you are blowing it.

Last edited by Kepler; 06-01-2021, 01:56 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

You think we should have some sort of investigation to find out? Or is that just a waste of time too.

Tell me, how did you feel about Islamic extremists attacking our embassy in Benghazi?
                          I don't think I gave two seconds of thought to Benghazi. I'm pretty sure I didn't have a single post on the subject.

Comment

We're talking totally different sort of response here.

But again, Lyndsey's an otter kind of guy. Smooth and sleek.

Comment

After Rudy and his ilk, and now the "recounts" in AZ and GA, and all the suppression and outright de-democratization measures in TX etc, you still have your doubts that it is the intention of the GOP to end democracy?

That is partisan blindness. I hope if it were the Left I could see it. I think I could. But what this has taught me is the Right can't be trusted. Whether by design or by willfully turning away, they won't stop a rightwing coup.
                              The flailing about of Rudy and his group were the incompetent efforts of incompetent advisors to an incompetent President to try to somehow put off the inevitable. As I posted at the time, despite these efforts I expected that in January Biden would take the oath of office, be sworn in as President, and move into the White House, and oddly enough, it seems that's exactly what happened.

The "recounts" in AZ and GA are simply extensions of that, and will have as much success.

With respect to things like the voting legislation in Texas, no I'm not a big fan. But they are a natural reaction to other things that are going on.

Right now, with respect to elections, basically the left would prefer that there be no rules, and the right wants nothing but rules. I realize that's an oversimplification, but that's sort of the point.

So yeah, when you've got people on the right who will tell constituents about drive by voting and dropping ballots off at Walmart or a variety of other true, semi-true or untrue statements, they're going to drum up support for legislation that limits voting to election day and a specific location with specific requirements for registration.

Comment

• The left wants no rules?

umm no, we don’t want 8 hour lines and ease of voting for rurals while urbanites are told to bite it.

and we don’t want R state legislatures to be able to overturn lawful elections because their feelings were hurt. That’s absurd and you know it.
                                And multiple states have now enacted that

but go ahead keep gaslighting

Comment

Working...
                                X