Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GQP Thread: I'm even sick of that ****** number and, anyway, he's gone (for now)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    These people are going to be convicted and I'll be shocked if any of them spend more than 18 months incarcerated, if that.
    And nothing for Dump and the others leaders? No accountability even though this is an ongoing threat to democracy?

If that's true then that sucks and it might mean we're finished.

How do you reconcile this, personally? In my opinion the GOP is now an anti-democratic party with a violent terrorist offshoot branch. Do you agree with that? Do you think the Right in America currently is in any way unusual or do you think this is just normal politics?

You don't seem insane. You don't seem hypnotized. You do seem awfully comfortable and willing to say "it's no big deal" because it's not your d-ck on the line, but that's just my perception.

In my opinion the political Right at this moment is the greatest threat to democracy in America since the Civil War. It's a bigger threat than Hitler who only indirectly threatened us. It's a bigger threat than the British in the Revolution since eventually the British system evolved into a more democratic system. But this is Pinochet, or Putin. This is authoritarianism seizing control of a democracy.

Do you see that or do you completely disagree?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• According to MAGA Haberman Trump is telling people he will be reinstated in August...
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        According to MAGA Haberman Trump is telling people he will be reinstated in August...
        Pillow guy says it too.

Mike Lindell, the staunchly pro-Trump CEO of MyPillow, insisted in a recent interview that former President Donald Trump will be back in the White House by August.

Like Trump, Lindell continues to promote the baseless conspiracy theory that President Joe Biden and the Democrats "stole" or "rigged" the 2020 election. Despite dozens of election lawsuits filed by Trump and his supporters in state and federal court, no evidence of widespread fraud has been brought forward to corroborate this extraordinary claim. But in Friday comments on the War Room: Pandemic podcast, which is hosted by former Trump adviser Steve Bannon, Lindell claimed he has been collecting evidence that will soon be brought before the Supreme Court.

"What I'm talking about Steve is what I have been doing since January 9th. All of the evidence I have, everything that is going to go before the Supreme Court and the election of 2020 is going bye-bye," Lindell claimed. "It was an attack by another country—communism coming in. I don't know what they're going to do with it after they pull it down but it's going down."
        After all. The election was stolen. That's why Hillary lost last time.

https://www.newsweek.com/mike-lindel...awsuit-1579592
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Something very bad could be coming...and unlike the faux Meth Zombie Horde this could actually be a big problem.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Like I said in my earlier post today, the q people are really running with it. It is scary

Comment

• And the only ones stopping them are us. The right of center crowd are too busy in their semantical arguments or trying to tell us how America isn't racist and fighting to stop teachers from teaching basic history.

This is not good. It is one thing for toothless, flaccid yokels to believe this crap but when the actual former President is espousing it (even just to milk more money from the rubes) we are in for a world of hurt. His clownshow of a Party and its sycophants already attempted one coup (which is already being downplayed) and they are not above doing it again. The "Just Asking Questions" crowd I am sure will turn a blind eye to it like they always do...
              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

And nothing for Dump and the others leaders? No accountability even though this is an ongoing threat to democracy?

If that's true then that sucks and it might mean we're finished.

How do you reconcile this, personally? In my opinion the GOP is now an anti-democratic party with a violent terrorist offshoot branch. Do you agree with that? Do you think the Right in America currently is in any way unusual or do you think this is just normal politics?

You don't seem insane. You don't seem hypnotized. You do seem awfully comfortable and willing to say "it's no big deal" because it's not your d-ck on the line, but that's just my perception.

In my opinion the political Right at this moment is the greatest threat to democracy in America since the Civil War. It's a bigger threat than Hitler who only indirectly threatened us. It's a bigger threat than the British in the Revolution since eventually the British system evolved into a more democratic system. But this is Pinochet, or Putin. This is authoritarianism seizing control of a democracy.

Do you see that or do you completely disagree?
                Well right now I don't expect to see Trump or any persons in Congress who may have somehow been "in" on it getting charged. My personal hunch is that it's just too hard for the feds to make a case against Trump or Gaetz or anyone else making them criminally culpable for what occurred at the capitol.

Is that right or wrong? My personal take is that while Trump may have encouraged it, and was certainly happy it occurred, convicting him of a crime is another matter, but I'll leave that to the prosecutors. If the Dept of Justice wants to charge him with a crime for those events, or anyone else, you'll hear no objection from me. I support all criminal prosecutions if a crime can be proven.

The problem with the people "on the ground" so to speak is that what they effectively did, for the most part, is commit an act of trespassing and criminal damage to public property, with possibly some sort of assault thrown in for a few of them. For better or for worse, they don't send you to the SuperMax for that.

If the feds can figure out a way to make this some sort of conspiracy to overthrow the government and make that stick with respect to random school teachers from Colorado or realtors from Oregon who showed up at the capitol that day, have at it. Again, no complaint from me. But again, my hunch is it won't happen.

But I'm in favor of prosecuting them. Any conviction will screw up their individual lives, to some extent, so that's good.

As for the GOP as an organization, it's certainly a mess right now. That said, I do not think that anywhere close to a majority of persons in any way affiliated with the GOP or conservatives in this country think the way a very small and active part that we see on the news each night think.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• It was an attempt to overthrow the government. There is plenty of proof in their statements, their organizations, and their preparation. Groups like the 3%ers and Oath Keepers have missions statements and public declarations that they want to overthrow the government violently.

That's sedition. For a military person like Flynn it's treason.

As for whether every Republican voter favors that, it doesn't matter if they still vote for leaders who advocate it. Silence is consent, but voting for somebody is active support. A "principled conservative" who votes for a Nazi is a Nazi.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    It was an attempt to overthrow the government. There is plenty of proof in their statements, their organizations, and their preparation. Groups like the 3%ers and Oath Keepers have missions statements and public declarations that they want to overthrow the government violently.

That's sedition. For a military person like Flynn it's treason.

As for whether every Republican voter favors that, it doesn't matter if they still vote for leaders who advocate it. Silence is consent, but voting for somebody is active support. A "principled conservative" who votes for a Nazi is a Nazi.
                    Sure, and how many "oathkeepers" are there? 500? 1000?

Do you want me to admit that there are some truly bat**** crazy people living in this country? Absolutely. Do those people get an abnormal amount of publicity or news coverage because of their craziness? Absolutely.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

The problem with the people "on the ground" so to speak is that what they effectively did, for the most part, is commit an act of trespassing and criminal damage to public property, with possibly some sort of assault thrown in for a few of them. For better or for worse, they don't send you to the SuperMax for that.
                      In what ****ing universe do you live that there was "possible some sort of assault"?

Police officers were severely injured. So what would it take in your eyes for these tourists to have actually committed assault?

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post

In what ****ing universe do you live that there was "possible some sort of assault"?

Police officers were severely injured. So what would it take in your eyes for these tourists to have actually committed assault?
                        Like I wrote, there will possibly be a few of the rioters who are successfully prosecuted for assault/battery. Will it be a majority, or even a sizable percentage of those at the capitol that day who will be so convicted? I don't think so. I think it's more likely to be a handful or two of the rioters who ultimately get punished for harming the capitol police or others with some sort of assault/battery charge.

Comment

Do you want me to admit that there are some truly bat**** crazy people living in this country? Absolutely. Do those people get an abnormal amount of publicity or news coverage because of their craziness? Absolutely.
                          Now repeat this again but insert Islamic extremists as the group.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

Now repeat this again but insert Islamic extremists as the group.
                            Yeah, I doubt there are even 500 Islamic extremists in this country.

Comment

Breaking into the Capitol was just a case of middle-aged white men angst, amirite? They didn’t shoot anything up, or buy a red Porsche. Instead, they had lawmakers thinking their lives may be ending soon, including the Secret Service thinking the same for Mike Pence.
                              At the end of the day, something like 70-80% of GOP voters think the election was stolen from Trump. More than 2/3rds of the GOP House voted to overturn the will of voters; who the **** elects these people? Sure, it’s GOP activists in some of these states, and we know activists do more than just vote and donate (the equivalent of whining, so I’m told), but at the end of the day, the GOP vote total is growing too. The electoral analysis of the 2020 election showed plenty of Drew voters- people who voted Biden at the top, but had no issue voting GOP down-ballot. As long as people keep electing officials who are okay with overturning elections, we inch closer to democracy falling apart.
                              I know YOU don’t care; you’ve made your millions and keep getting richer, especially when inertia and inaction continue, especially at the federal level. That’s all you say you care about, as you’ve posted previously, and I’ll take you at your word. But to act like it’s just a handful of bad people making bad decisions in the GOP, and therefore not as serious as people on here (and plenty of non-USCHO Cafe people) believe it is, is as bad of a take as saying the GOP is the bigger tent party.

Comment

Yeah, I doubt there are even 500 Islamic extremists in this country.
                                That doesn't stop the orcs from arguing they're a real enemy of the state while ignoring the Qtards that outnumber islamafascists immensely.

Comment

Working...
                                X