Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GQP Thread: I'm even sick of that ****** number and, anyway, he's gone (for now)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having good ideas is too hard. Let's just stop people from voting. https://***********/cbsnewspoll/stat...38110426275840

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
      Having good ideas is too hard. Let's just stop people from voting. https://***********/cbsnewspoll/stat...38110426275840
      This is evidence that the Republican rank and file are cognizant of and on board with the strategy of restricting voting rights. I believe this is the first instance of a non-trivial number of voters in a democracy consciously campaigning to restrict democracy to themselves since South Africa.

Until now I assumed we combat right wing authoritarianism by exposing and ridiculing it. The average conservative would be sickened by her party elites and rebuke them. This says half of all conservatives are fully aware of what they are doing and approve of it -- suppression is not an insider political strategy imposed from the top but a grassroots social movement bubbling up from the bottom.

In other words, a fascist party is not nefariously hoodwinking conservative America, as the corporate cons did with Reagan and his aftermath. Conservative America is sending a representative fascist party into legislatures to work their will.
      Last edited by Kepler; 05-17-2021, 06:11 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

This is evidence that the Republican rank and file are cognizant of and on board with the strategy of restricting voting rights. I believe this is the first instance of a non-trivial number of voters in a democracy consciously campaigning to restrict democracy to themselves since South Africa.

Until now I assumed we combat right wing authoritarianism by exposing and ridiculing it. The average conservative would be sickened by her party elites and rebuke them. This says half of all conservatives are fully aware of what they are doing and approve of it -- suppression is not an insider political strategy imposed from the top but a grassroots social movement bubbling up from the bottom.

In other words, a fascist party is not nefariously hoodwinking conservative America, as the corporate cons did with Reagan and his aftermath. Conservative America is sending a representative fascist party into legislatures to work their will.
        R means Racist. Simple as that. Hard to deny that when you want to restrict voting for people who are not like themselves.

Comment

What part of 'Nazi' don't you understand?
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Anyone who doesn't think 40% of this country (at least) is lost forever is living in a fantasy land.

The reason all of this is happening (cops shooting people with little or no consequence for so long, tax-break after tax-break for the top 1/10th of 1%, GQP party actively seeking to severely restrict the amount of people voting in every area of the country, public schools in almost every urban area being starved of funding, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc) is because almost half of the country (at least) is fully on board with all of it.

They may be idiots, they may not understand they are rubes and dupes who are being used, they may not even know WHY they love trump and trumpism, but they do. Couple that with the fact their side has a lot of wealth behind it that amplifies their voices far more than the progressives and Americans who really do just want a peaceful country and a functioning government that looks out for the well-being of the nation, and that 40% (at least) has the power of a majority.

This is what we're up against. How do we peacefully fix it? Do we peacefully fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

What part of 'Nazi' don't you understand?
              But the Nazis and the Italian Fascists did not bubble up. They were top down. They were Men with a Plan who had to galvanize, even convert, supporters.

This is something else, that's my point. Yes, it's racist and authoritarian, but it isn't like what we have seen before. The only comparable example I have is South Africa. Maybe the NeoNazi movements in Europe and Britain which haven't gained state control (yet) fit the bill.

Or maybe Fidesz in Hungary is the best current example, since that is a similar combination of a populist bottom up authoritarian movement and a charismatic top down charlatan.
              Last edited by Kepler; 05-17-2021, 11:57 AM.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                How do we peacefully fix it? Do we peacefully fix it?
                It has become patently obvious in the last 5 years that the far right's idea of a peaceful solution is getting everything they want, including permanent, absolute control of government with a thin veneer of democracy (c.f. Russia).

Comment

Dump and his cronies were definitely aiming to be Putin and his vory.

I don't know if that's what the GQP wanted, but as they belong to Dump I guess it's what they are now whether they like it or not.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Dump is starting rallies again come June.

the gqp loves this

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

the gqp loves this
                      Half the crowd will be paid to attend. It's the same garbage that comes out of his mouth every time, to the point even some of his followers were weary of it last year and stopped going.

Comment

But the Nazis and the Italian Fascists did not bubble up. They were top down. They were Men with a Plan who had to galvanize, even convert, supporters.

This is something else, that's my point. Yes, it's racist and authoritarian, but it isn't like what we have seen before. The only comparable example I have is South Africa. Maybe the NeoNazi movements in Europe and Britain which haven't gained state control (yet) fit the bill.

Or maybe Fidesz in Hungary is the best current example, since that is a similar combination of a populist bottom up authoritarian movement and a charismatic top down charlatan.
                        They didn't galvanize anyone who wasn't already predisposed to go along.

Just like today's Republicans.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

They didn't galvanize anyone who wasn't already predisposed to go along.

Just like today's Republicans.
                          But few Americans have hitherto been for ending their political opponents' actual right to vote.

Most people on the right in every country in every age are bigots and misogynists because their parents were and they don't even realize that's wrong -- it's the air they breath. But even with that, that's very different in America from rejecting the single most important electoral principle of democracy: voting equality under the law. That has been a strongly held American principle pretty much since America acquired its nationalized "Melting Pot" ethos in the late 19th Century.

For example: I pity and loathe Republicans and think they are the largest existential threat to my family, this country, and life on Earth, but I don't want to disenfranchise them and if the Dems started working on doing that I would light them up for it.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

the gqp loves this
                            So, what role will the Secret Service play with regards to security? When he had these while president, I'm sure they played a pretty big role. I know he still gets Secret Service protection but it would be nice if he was told "All you get is a normal detail. Anything more, you need to pay yourself"
                            I can't believe I typed that with a straight face. Probably should have said "Anything more, you will need to find a security company to stiff on payment."

Comment

Gqp trying to pass state laws to supersede a feeeral VRA.

don’t worry manchin and sinema won’t let it

https://mobile.***********/joshtpm/s...63343750717451

Comment

But few Americans have hitherto been for ending their political opponents' actual right to vote
                                Maybe not out there actively campaigning for it. Certainly just fine with it if it should happen.

You've never heard anyone say, " those people shouldn't be allowed to vote".

Fairly common sentiment, I would wager. Strangely enough, mostly amongst the white folk. Odd, that.

Comment

Working...
                                X