Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice Planet 18: Welcome To Our Planet. Sorry It's So Messed Up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

That doesn't sound ideological, it sounds like being a mercenary and going to the highest bidder.

What's with King's opposition to sequestration? Does he think it's being transported by Mexicans with melon thighs?
    His beef is private property rights. He doesn't like the fact that eminent domain can be used once a permit is issued. The tax credits are also going to the wrong people, so he's against those, too.

The attorney's beef is unknown. She's adamantly against these projects, which is why she left the AG's office when the new administration signaled they weren't going to fight against them as much as she wanted to, and she's become extremely vocal about it since leaving. But I don't know why she's so personally invested in this.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

What's with King's opposition to sequestration? Does he think it's being transported by Mexicans with melon thighs?
    "CO2 is perfect and not bad at all but please don't put it near me."

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post
    So in this week's sign of the apocalypse (and example 1 of the horseshoe theory of politics), an attorney I know who had a short-lived run for congress as a Democrat 10 years ago, and who is otherwise to the left of AOC, is representing Steve King (yes that one) to fight against CO2 sequestration and the CO2 pipelines proposed across the Midwest.
    That doesn't sound ideological, it sounds like being a mercenary and going to the highest bidder.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    So in this week's sign of the apocalypse (and example 1 of the horseshoe theory of politics), an attorney I know who had a short-lived run for congress as a Democrat 10 years ago, and who is otherwise to the left of AOC, is representing Steve King (yes that one) to fight against CO2 sequestration and the CO2 pipelines proposed across the Midwest.

Oh, and the attorney explicitly invited the current AG, who is herself a former Steve King staffer, to file an ethics complaint against her because she's conflicted out, having worked on the same cases while previously employed by the AG's office.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Boomer generation is ruining everything.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8dhs1TS/
    It's not just Boomers. Back in 2018, my old firm convinced a 50-something Managing Director to come back from semi-retirementto lead a huge program I was involved with. Good guy, had lots of fun stories from working in Brazil and Argentina in the mid-2000s, such as getting mugged like an amateur in Sao Paulo after a night of too much cachaca. However, I remember realizing that as an experienced hire (rather than a new grad associate laddering their way up), it would be tough to ever make Director if they had a ready pool of experienced Gen X and younger Boomers they could just throw ridiculous money and bennies at to come back when needed.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied
    Originally posted by aparch View Post

Not a surprise.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    Club Q shooter sentenced to 2,000+ years behind bars. Good riddance to an awful person.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...life-in-prison

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    Episcopalians last about an hour.

But I've been in churches where the service can go 3-4 hours.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

I was raised Catholic and went to catholic school and never saw a mass over an hour
    maybe Easter services lasted longer but one hour tops most sundays

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

I sat through a 3-hour Easter mass once (Easter vigil?). It both sucked and blew.
    Easter Vigil and, as Kep said, weddings are another matter. As I recall from my youth, Easter (and, to a lesser extent, Christmas) brings out a lot of lapsed Catholics for a sip of wine and a divine cookie so they can assuage their guilt, then go back to ignoring the church the other 364 days a year. That meant standing room only and it usually took half an hour just to distribute communion to all attendees.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied
    Terrible. Palm Bay is the next town over from me - we go down there to shop because we have a micro-target (Bullseye?) and they have a SuperTarget. Basically a blue-collar town with a bunch of recently developed starter homes for young professionals. Not surprising to me in the least that the sheriff would offer sympathy and deference to the family rather than handcuffs, seeing as how they are (presumably) god-fearing’, Jesus-lovin’, gay-hating’ white folk.

Leave a comment:

• psych
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post

Ever have a change in routine in your commute that you miss because your mind goes on autopilot? Like "Oh I was supposed to pick up the dry cleaning on the way home. Oops. Guess I'll grab it tomorrow." That's how it happens in 99% of these cases, sleep-deprived parents change their routine, normally by having the "other" parent on drop off duty for the day for some reason and their brains just skip over the change and forget about it until it's too late. There was an article a few years back (I'm thinking 7 or so, since I think my wife was still pregnant when I read it and it freaked me out thinking about it from a "there but for the grace of God go I" perspective) about the different treatment by the criminal justice system of parents that this happened to. Race played some role, but more often it was down to whether the local prosecutor was a tough on crime zealot or not.

Having said all that, at 11 months and while the parents were both at church together? Doesn't fit the normal pattern.
    Yes to all of this. As a father of two toddlers, I can understand the feeling. That said, there were two of them there, and three hours is a long time. If I forget something, my wife is generally good at reminding me. Not so much vice versa, but I digress.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

I sat through a 3-hour Easter mass once (Easter vigil?). It both sucked and blew.
    Let's not even mention Catholic weddings.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Only for major holidays, or what was known prior to Vatican II as a "High" Mass. There is traditionally more pomp and circumstance, but in the modern era this amounts to an occasional incense ceremony, and some priests will take the extra time to sing all the spoken parts during the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

Otherwise, a typical Sunday Mass in "Ordinary Time" is about one hour.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X