Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice Planet 18: Welcome To Our Planet. Sorry It's So Messed Up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Also surprised about kurtwood and Debra submitting letters.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Danny Masterson will be in jail for a long, long time.
    Ashton and Milas video plead yesterday after they were busted was pathetic. **** both of them.

runors of course are that Danny and Scientology have blackmail on them both.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    Originally posted by aparch View Post
    "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"
    "Prison."

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Conan knew.

https://www.*****/WUTangKids/status/1699859920575709619

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    So the Left criticism of carbon sequestration is it's environmental theater, like "clean" coal?
    I don't know. I know the national Sierra club is for it while the Iowa chapter is not due to NIMBYism.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    So the Left criticism of carbon sequestration is it's environmental theater, like "clean" coal?

I don't think this is a good example of horseshoe theory (which I don't buy anyway). Horseshoe theory is if you go far enough left or right you wrap around to the same values. For example, Stalin and Hitler are allegedly so extreme right and left respectively they meet on the opposite side of democracy, which is totalitarianism. This is nonsense, since the democratic/totalitarian axis is orthogonal to the left/right axis.

But, arguments aside about horseshoe theory's vacuity*, Left and a Right rejection of sequestration happen to coincide with a particular vote, but the values are still completely different, between the preference for wealth concentration (the right) or humanity (the left).

*Horseshoe theory ignores that there is totalitarian center: Radical Centrism, which attacks and thwarts democracy by dictating averaging between sides regardless of their ethical merit. For Radical Centrists, the Klan and the civil rights movement, or Slavers and abolitionists, or feminists and misogynists, are oppositions to be averaged. Radical Centrism does not recognize that some political dimensions are not Aristotelian golden means balancing equally noxious extremes, but simply vectors out from a humane center towards extreme unfairness.

Last edited by Kepler; 07-11-2023, 12:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied

That doesn't sound ideological, it sounds like being a mercenary and going to the highest bidder.

What's with King's opposition to sequestration? Does he think it's being transported by Mexicans with melon thighs?
    His beef is private property rights. He doesn't like the fact that eminent domain can be used once a permit is issued. The tax credits are also going to the wrong people, so he's against those, too.

The attorney's beef is unknown. She's adamantly against these projects, which is why she left the AG's office when the new administration signaled they weren't going to fight against them as much as she wanted to, and she's become extremely vocal about it since leaving. But I don't know why she's so personally invested in this.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied

What's with King's opposition to sequestration? Does he think it's being transported by Mexicans with melon thighs?
    "CO2 is perfect and not bad at all but please don't put it near me."

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post
    So in this week's sign of the apocalypse (and example 1 of the horseshoe theory of politics), an attorney I know who had a short-lived run for congress as a Democrat 10 years ago, and who is otherwise to the left of AOC, is representing Steve King (yes that one) to fight against CO2 sequestration and the CO2 pipelines proposed across the Midwest.
    That doesn't sound ideological, it sounds like being a mercenary and going to the highest bidder.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    So in this week's sign of the apocalypse (and example 1 of the horseshoe theory of politics), an attorney I know who had a short-lived run for congress as a Democrat 10 years ago, and who is otherwise to the left of AOC, is representing Steve King (yes that one) to fight against CO2 sequestration and the CO2 pipelines proposed across the Midwest.

Oh, and the attorney explicitly invited the current AG, who is herself a former Steve King staffer, to file an ethics complaint against her because she's conflicted out, having worked on the same cases while previously employed by the AG's office.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Boomer generation is ruining everything.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8dhs1TS/
    It's not just Boomers. Back in 2018, my old firm convinced a 50-something Managing Director to come back from semi-retirementto lead a huge program I was involved with. Good guy, had lots of fun stories from working in Brazil and Argentina in the mid-2000s, such as getting mugged like an amateur in Sao Paulo after a night of too much cachaca. However, I remember realizing that as an experienced hire (rather than a new grad associate laddering their way up), it would be tough to ever make Director if they had a ready pool of experienced Gen X and younger Boomers they could just throw ridiculous money and bennies at to come back when needed.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Not a surprise.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    Club Q shooter sentenced to 2,000+ years behind bars. Good riddance to an awful person.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...life-in-prison

Leave a comment:

Working...
X