Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice Planet 18: Welcome To Our Planet. Sorry It's So Messed Up.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

    That’s what their infant said.

    How can somebody do that? I flatly do not understand. After having a baby girl, she became my life. How can somebody forget to take care of their baby like that? It boggles my mind.
    There's a reason carmaker started to make this alert a standard feature:

    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

    Live Radio from 100.3

    Comment


    • Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

      That’s what their infant said.

      How can somebody do that? I flatly do not understand. After having a baby girl, she became my life. How can somebody forget to take care of their baby like that? It boggles my mind.
      Ever have a change in routine in your commute that you miss because your mind goes on autopilot? Like "Oh I was supposed to pick up the dry cleaning on the way home. Oops. Guess I'll grab it tomorrow." That's how it happens in 99% of these cases, sleep-deprived parents change their routine, normally by having the "other" parent on drop off duty for the day for some reason and their brains just skip over the change and forget about it until it's too late. There was an article a few years back (I'm thinking 7 or so, since I think my wife was still pregnant when I read it and it freaked me out thinking about it from a "there but for the grace of God go I" perspective) about the different treatment by the criminal justice system of parents that this happened to. Race played some role, but more often it was down to whether the local prosecutor was a tough on crime zealot or not.

      Having said all that, at 11 months and while the parents were both at church together? Doesn't fit the normal pattern.
      Last edited by unofan; 05-31-2023, 05:31 AM.

      Comment


      • Who goes to church for 3 freaking hours?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Who goes to church for 3 freaking hours?
          Catholics, for one.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            Who goes to church for 3 freaking hours?
            Some colonial Sunday services lasted twice that.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

            Comment


            • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

              Catholics, for one.
              Born and raised Catholic and attended mass every Sunday through high school. Longest mass I was ever in was a little over an hour. Maybe an hour and 20. The only services I have ever heard going that long are pentecostal or some evangelical types.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

                Catholics, for one.
                I was raised Catholic and went to catholic school and never saw a mass over an hour

                Comment


                • Southern Mega-churches are an all-day affair.
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

                  Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

                  Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

                  Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

                  Comment


                  • Fair enough.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

                      Catholics, for one.
                      Only for major holidays, or what was known prior to Vatican II as a "High" Mass. There is traditionally more pomp and circumstance, but in the modern era this amounts to an occasional incense ceremony, and some priests will take the extra time to sing all the spoken parts during the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

                      Otherwise, a typical Sunday Mass in "Ordinary Time" is about one hour.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

                        Catholics, for one.
                        ... hi. Born and raised Catholic. Even going to midnight mass on Easter I was never there longer than 2 hours. Traditional Sunday mass is an hour to 75 minutes tops. Daily mass should never be over 45.

                        And if you go to St Mary Magdalene's in downtown Omaha, daily mass is 15 minutes and Sunday is 35. Even Palm Sunday with the reading of the passion will be done in 45, there.
                        Last edited by unofan; 05-31-2023, 10:58 AM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

                          Only for major holidays, or what was known prior to Vatican II as a "High" Mass. There is traditionally more pomp and circumstance, but in the modern era this amounts to an occasional incense ceremony, and some priests will take the extra time to sing all the spoken parts during the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

                          Otherwise, a typical Sunday Mass in "Ordinary Time" is about one hour.
                          I sat through a 3-hour Easter mass once (Easter vigil?). It both sucked and blew.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                          "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                          "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

                            I sat through a 3-hour Easter mass once (Easter vigil?). It both sucked and blew.
                            Let's not even mention Catholic weddings.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by unofan View Post

                              Ever have a change in routine in your commute that you miss because your mind goes on autopilot? Like "Oh I was supposed to pick up the dry cleaning on the way home. Oops. Guess I'll grab it tomorrow." That's how it happens in 99% of these cases, sleep-deprived parents change their routine, normally by having the "other" parent on drop off duty for the day for some reason and their brains just skip over the change and forget about it until it's too late. There was an article a few years back (I'm thinking 7 or so, since I think my wife was still pregnant when I read it and it freaked me out thinking about it from a "there but for the grace of God go I" perspective) about the different treatment by the criminal justice system of parents that this happened to. Race played some role, but more often it was down to whether the local prosecutor was a tough on crime zealot or not.

                              Having said all that, at 11 months and while the parents were both at church together? Doesn't fit the normal pattern.
                              Yes to all of this. As a father of two toddlers, I can understand the feeling. That said, there were two of them there, and three hours is a long time. If I forget something, my wife is generally good at reminding me. Not so much vice versa, but I digress.

                              Comment


                              • Terrible. Palm Bay is the next town over from me - we go down there to shop because we have a micro-target (Bullseye?) and they have a SuperTarget. Basically a blue-collar town with a bunch of recently developed starter homes for young professionals. Not surprising to me in the least that the sheriff would offer sympathy and deference to the family rather than handcuffs, seeing as how they are (presumably) god-fearing’, Jesus-lovin’, gay-hating’ white folk.
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X