Travel 4: All Around the World Same Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

As opposed to San Francisco, who doesn't try to hide it at all.
    The Tenderloin now is Times Square in the 60s or the Combat Zone in Boston in the 70s. It's like the movable construction hole on any college campus -- they go out at night and drag it someplace else.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Anyone ever brought back more than 1 L of liquor back to the US from abroad? How did you work it through customs?
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Anyone ever brought back more than 1 L of liquor back to the US from abroad? How did you work it through customs?
        I brought 4 L back because I thought I could. Customs said I couldn't, and then let me keep it and said do not do it again.

Some was bought duty free and supposed to be on a carryon, however our flight was delayed so we missed our connection and thus had to put it in our actual baggage, which may have been some of the issue.
        In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
        I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

I brought 4 L back because I thought I could. Customs said I couldn't, and then let me keep it and said do not do it again.

Some was bought duty free and supposed to be on a carryon, however our flight was delayed so we missed our connection and thus had to put it in our actual baggage, which may have been some of the issue.
          Lol. Customs website says very clearly there isn't a maximum amount. Just a max of 1 L without paying excise tax for import. Agents just love to wag their dick without engaging their brain. Or rather, they're trying to figure out who is actually trying to get around import laws. I might try your approach. TSA says 5 L in checked bags. Minis just need to fit in the clear bag. Customs also says you can bring back 12 commemorative bottles that are meant as a collection. Which some of these bottles could easily qualify for. *ahem* we're trying to collect distillery exclusives from every distillery in the country."

I think MN is similar in that we can bring back 4 L each without excise but wasn't sure how strict they are on this.

edit: so wait, did customs rifle through your bag and count bottles?
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Customs at MSP can be real dicks about everything

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              Customs can be real dicks about everything
              Fixed.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• True, but msp seem worse. When I moved home from Europe, my belongings were tied up for longer than all my coworkers. Called to ask why- once the guy heard I lived in msp he laughed and explained they’ll comb through and delay everything

Comment

True, but msp seem worse. When I moved home from Europe, my belongings were tied up for longer than all my coworkers. Called to ask why- once the guy heard I lived in msp he laughed and explained they’ll comb through and delay everything
                  Yikes

luckily I think we'll cross in Detroit so crossing my fingers I can play dumb.
                  Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Lol. Customs website says very clearly there isn't a maximum amount. Just a max of 1 L without paying excise tax for import. Agents just love to wag their dick without engaging their brain. Or rather, they're trying to figure out who is actually trying to get around import laws. I might try your approach. TSA says 5 L in checked bags. Minis just need to fit in the clear bag. Customs also says you can bring back 12 commemorative bottles that are meant as a collection. Which some of these bottles could easily qualify for. *ahem* we're trying to collect distillery exclusives from every distillery in the country."

I think MN is similar in that we can bring back 4 L each without excise but wasn't sure how strict they are on this.

edit: so wait, did customs rifle through your bag and count bottles?
                    Yeah they did and told me I was only allowed 1L. I read the 5L in TSA and thought I would be good. I probably would have fought more but they let me keep it so I just said sorry and scampered away with my aquavit.
                    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Customs at MSP can be real dicks about everything
                      Not if you have Global Entry :^)

(never had an issue before though)
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Not if you have Global Entry :^)

(never had an issue before though)
                        You run into issues eventually. I was flying international twice a month as msp when I discovered this

Comment

• If you have GE they rubber stamp it...even with my crappy luck I never get a second look. It's funny actually!
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            If you have GE they rubber stamp it...even with my crappy luck I never get a second look. It's funny actually!
                            Well to be fair, GE started in 2008, and that’s when my international travel for work stopped. I never had a chance to use a program back then

Comment

• Oh I know...just giving a public service announcement :^)

Clear and GE would have made your life a breeze!
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Immigration checks are far better now. On my way from Manila to MSP I did not have to do a full traditional immigration check in Seoul nor Chicago, and coming back the same in Detroit and Seoul. They scanned my pretty face instead on the outgoing flights and after was a quick recheck at/near my gate.

Comment

Working...
                                X