Travel 4: All Around the World Same Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    How else would mookie be able to read emails at work???
    I actually got the impression you knew about 10 languages. I mean in addition to knowing كم مقابل ساعة واحدة مع ابنتك in every language and dialect.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• London has people of all different colors.
      everywhere and in all roles.
      shanghai is Chinese but perhaps due to the sheer number of Chinese.
      lack of flights between SA and Asia May hurt those continents.
      dubai is less conservative than Abu Dhabi, so that would be one to consider but Islam invites a large (largest?) religion groups yet retards the growth of others.
      thai language is a **** so that hurts global residents but not vacationers
      cairo is tough with politics and economic conditions.
      HK is so congested and being overrun with Chinese chinaness now. Mookie would not look to move there next due to that. **** the Chinese govt.

mookie would go with London.
      one can get a direct flight from anywhere to go there.
      maybe Brexit turns the screw, but anyone can go there and find a cultural community if they get homesick and still have opportunities to assimilate
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        anyone can go there and find a cultural community if they get homesick and still have opportunities to assimilate
        I think that is closest to what I am looking for when I think of an international city. But for people, not the rich. The rich are internationalized everywhere except for some parochial, xenophobic backwaters (Dallas, Moscow, Beijing, Tokyo, Sydney, Mexico City).
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Add Greek for the flight to Athens.

sadly Nairobi is only in English

Comment

• Tbilisi and Addis Ababa come up in local alphabets.

mookie wanted to see AA. If for nothing more than a weekend of coffee runs at local cafes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I think that is closest to what I am looking for when I think of an international city. But for people, not the rich. The rich are internationalized everywhere except for some parochial, xenophobic backwaters (Dallas, Moscow, Beijing, Tokyo, Sydney, Mexico City).
              Definitely London, and I don't even think it's close. We've been running the world for 80 years, so our big cities are pretty multicultural. England OWNED the world for 300 years, and they basically had only one city at the time.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

Definitely London, and I don't even think it's close. We've been running the world for 80 years, so our big cities are pretty multicultural. England OWNED the world for 300 years, and they basically had only one city at the time.
                Maybe Amsterdam then too.

The thing is, DC has run the world for 80 years, and take it from me, it is NOT an international city. There is a difference between power and culture. San Francisco and New Orleans, with absolutely no global power or influence, are the only other cosmopolitan cities in the US.

But I'll agree London was permeated by all the culture it swiped.

I have no idea about: Berlin, Vienna, Madrid.

Maybe Montreal. Isfahan? Baghdad? Alexandria?

Last edited by Kepler; 09-19-2022, 12:53 PM.
                Cornell University

Comment

• Vienna no, it didn’t feel very international to me at all.

Berlin yes, from its history and then large immigrant population.

Amsterdam is, just nowhere near London.

To me, Barcelona felt more international than Madrid

Comment

• I need to spend a month in every one of these cities to compare them. It's the only way to be sure.
                    Cornell University

Comment

• Berlin is very international, to the point that you're actually better off eating non-German food there (I know Kep will say you're better off doing that everywhere, but he's allowed to be wrong ). Amsterdam is also quite international. Montreal is lovely - a great food & culture city, a little piece of Europe in North America - but has just enough of a 'tude about speaking languages other than French to not qualify as international in my book. Quelle surprise, immigrants and their ethnic restaurants are better about being welcoming to non/bad French speakers, but that's the same in every region with a dominant language.

SFO has plenty of economic power, just not much political power, and nowhere near as much cultural power as they think they do.

Comment

• London is very cosmopolitan but it's 1a and 1b with New York and Dubai is right there. Don't sleep on Amsterdam, Milan, Brussels, Toronto, Miami and Sydney either. Perhaps LA and SF too? Sadly I've not spent any significant amount of time in either of those.

Bangkok would qualify if you counted tourists, but imho that's not the same thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Maybe Amsterdam then too.

The thing is, DC has run the world for 80 years, and take it from me, it is NOT an international city. There is a difference between power and culture. San Francisco and New Orleans, with absolutely no global power or influence, are the only other cosmopolitan cities in the US.

But I'll agree London was permeated by all the culture it swiped.

I have no idea about: Berlin, Vienna, Madrid.

Maybe Montreal. Isfahan? Baghdad? Alexandria?

Alexandria in Egypt? Absolutely! Gorgeous place with influences from all over. Very secular too. I loved it :^)
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Seriously, go back and read the first page of the first 10-20 posts from this thread…after the Whioux cap crap, that is. This started in January 2020, and Wuhan came up.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              London is very cosmopolitan but it's 1a and 1b with New York and Dubai is right there. Don't sleep on Amsterdam, Milan, Brussels, Toronto, Miami and Sydney either. Perhaps LA and SF too? Sadly I've not spent any significant amount of time in either of those.

Bangkok would qualify if you counted tourists, but imho that's not the same thing.
                              Nothing personal, but Miami is a ****ing dump. A literal smelly dump. LIke, NY and Paris smell like p-ss, but Miami was the only city I visited that smelled like an open landfill. Nothing there was worth going back. I've had better Cuban sandwiches in Prescott, Wisconsin.

Otherwise agree on Amsterdam, Toronto, SF. I think all of them are excellent cities. I'd also put Chicago up there. I know that chaps a lot of people's asses, but I love Chicago.
                              LA I don't think so. Just the ritziest parts. Most of the city is a ****hole and they've got a police force that's a literal gang.

Kepler, I loved Vienna but barely remember Madrid. Berlin was probably great, but because it was a weird stopover in the middle of our trip I didn't get a great chance to really experience it. Not sure I buy New Orleans either. It had its time in the past, but now it's a shell of its former self.

I'd also say the Twin Cities would be up there if you added another 500,000 to 750,000 people (which would ruin the Twin Cities). Major Fortune 500 hub, second in theaters per capita to only NYC, the restaurant scene (was) incredible (before COVID). It doesn't get the highest marks for fashion centers, but whatever, we're trying to survive up here.

Anyways, Tier 1 cities in no particular order:
                              NYC
                              Paris
                              SF
                              London
                              Amsterdam

Tier 2
                              Chicago
                              Seattle
                              DC
                              Boston
                              Toronto

Tier 3
                              Twin Cities
                              Denver
                              Austin

Perusing this list, I'm confident Berlin, Hong Kong, Sydney, Singapore, Tokyo, Seoul, Dubai would all easily make this list when I have a trip to actually experience them.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                London is very cosmopolitan but it's 1a and 1b with New York and Dubai is right there. Don't sleep on Amsterdam, Milan, Brussels, Toronto, Miami and Sydney either. Perhaps LA and SF too? Sadly I've not spent any significant amount of time in either of those.

I’ve lived in both nyc and london and they’re so different, it’s hard to put one on top for international.

which one to live in? Not even close for me

and yeah you don’t really eat German food in Berlin lol. I used to eat a brat at the stand in friedrichstrasse station some days on way to class only because I was so poor

Comment

Working...
                                X