No announcement yet.

Travel 4: All Around the World Same Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the sounds of it Heathrow is unusable these days. Go through Amsterdam if possible.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      From the sounds of it Heathrow is unusable these days. Go through Amsterdam if possible.
      Amsterdam is the biggest of **** shows right now. I'd go through JFK as it's one less place to clear with passport control.

Frankfurt would be the ideal choice now, so if you could pull an ORD-FRA-Berlin it could be quite nice and relaxing.

Comment

• I had heard rumors of ams being a mess hence my caution.

one less Pass control in Europe would be good, so the jfk idea is tempting from that view.

and yes Frankfurt is nice. Heck a few times as a student I took the ICE train to Berlin after flying into Frankfurt but it’s not the most convenient

Comment

• Regardless of where you fly, get a couple of AirTags or the android equivalent and throw one in each checked bag.

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
            Regardless of where you fly, get a couple of AirTags or the android equivalent and throw one in each checked bag.
            These are cool, are they the best of the UWB tracking family?

Android equivalent appears to be Samsung Galaxy SmartTag+
            Last edited by Kepler; 08-29-2022, 11:44 AM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Avoid CDG like the plague.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Avoid CDG like the plague.
                I would rather walk to Europe than fly out of LaGuardia any year since 1977.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Avoid CDG like the plague.
                  Charles De Gaulle is the worst airport I have ever used...
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Charles De Gaulle is the worst airport I have ever used...
                    It's also swarming with scammers trying to steal your luggage. be very careful using cabs, Uber, etc coming out of there.
                    Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

It's also swarming with scammers trying to steal your luggage. be very careful using cabs, Uber, etc coming out of there.
                      Yup. Go through the dedicated line for cabs and if anyone even looks at you sideways report them. It is a 10k Euro fine for even attempting it.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

These are cool, are they the best of the UWB tracking family?

Android equivalent appears to be Samsung Galaxy SmartTag+
                        On the android side, I was looking into the Tile Mate. They have square and credit card shaped ones. I don't know their effectiveness, but I've recently used Airtags because my work phone is Apple. Otherwise, I'd prefer Tile.

Also, yes. When I say Schipol is horrible, that's obviously not including airports that are naturally the worst, like CDG.

Seriously, I'd transfer from FRA or MUC as my first choice and I'd pay extra to do it. Likely means you're on united or lufthansa, but so easy to get through. Even Muc to Berlin train doesn't suck although the hour from the airport to hbf on the S8 isn't great.

There's a reason people call the Frankfurt airport to Berlin train ride the worst in Germany, because there's nothing direct.
                        Last edited by cF[Authentic]; 08-29-2022, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Tiles are...ok.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post

On the android side, I was looking into the Tile Mate. They have square and credit card shaped ones. I don't know their effectiveness, but I've recently used Airtags because my work phone is Apple. Otherwise, I'd prefer Tile.

Also, yes. When I say Schipol is horrible, that's obviously not including airports that are naturally the worst, like CDG.

Seriously, I'd transfer from FRA or MUC as my first choice and I'd pay extra to do it. Likely means you're on united or lufthansa, but so easy to get through. Even Muc to Berlin train doesn't suck although the hour from the airport to hbf on the S8 isn't great.

There's a reason people call the Frankfurt airport to Berlin train ride the worst in Germany, because there's nothing direct.
                            Are you referring to the transfer in Frankfort after you leave the airport? My first trip was so long ago I can’t recall for sure but I thought it was direct once I got to main station. Still a pain, yes.

next trip I did Munich instead and it was much easier. However since then with the new airport opening up, I can’t wait to fly directly into Berlin

Comment

• Worst airport for me was Abu Dhabi although I haven't flown out of there since 2006.

Comment

• In central station Stockholm on our way to kopenhamm
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X