Travel 4: All Around the World Same Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    This brings back memories. It was the missing toothbrush in the holder that made me cry every night.
    We were lucky enough that even tho he was in a dorm he went to the school mr les worked at. He was on a team and we knew if he was in trouble the coaches would not hesitate to light him up or support as needed. We got to see him compete but it was heart wrenching for the first year. I was a mess.
    There's a quiet place where they were, but there's also their friends who are no longer coming and going, sometimes like they were your own.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

There's a quiet place where they were, but there's also their friends who are no longer coming and going, sometimes like they were your own.
      this is true

Comment

• The boy is all moved into his dorm and orientation week starts tomorrow. I know he's going to be ok but dad needs a hug.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

The boy is all moved into his dorm and orientation week starts tomorrow. I know he's going to be ok but dad needs a hug.
          Isn't he too handsome to be yours?

Comment

Isn't he too handsome to be yours?
            One is never too handsome to be a Gopher! But I might have out-kicked my coverage.

Comment

One is never too handsome to be a Gopher! But I might have out-kicked my coverage.
              I'll say.

He is going to really enjoy freshman dorms.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The boy is all moved into his dorm and orientation week starts tomorrow. I know he's going to be ok but dad needs a hug.
                Congratulations.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Congrats Slap!!!!!
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Hang in there! SOmeone shared this to my timeline when lilnsl went off to college- I thought it was spot on-

Laura A. De Veau

August 18, 2018 ?
                    “Very soon, I’ll be dropping my child off” ... I have seen many FB posts start out like this. I am seeing photos accompany the posts, baby photos, childhood memories, and high school graduations. Parents with heartfelt statements of how they can’t believe where the time has gone, and how they are feeling overwhelmed by the change that is coming.
                    While I don’t have a child going away, I’ve been on the receiving end of children arriving for my entire career, and this fall will be the first time since 1987 that I am not going to be there to help. So, here it is, my help.
                    Kids: let your parents unpack your stuff. Seriously. It’s their coping mechanism, if one parent puts your clothes in the wrong drawers - don’t freak out. Just say thanks. You can move it later. If a parent insists they don’t want to leave until you are hooked up to the wireless, and you know full well they can’t figure it out - gently say, “it’s ok, I got this. And by the way, when you get back home, I wrote down how to fix all the bugs with the router there.” Take photos of your parents helping you move, not selfies of yourself. This will be a memory you don’t want to forget.
                    Parents: overpacking is going to happen. Remember, it’s August, they don’t need their heaviest winter jackets. That is what Thanksgiving break -and shipping things later is for. Cleaning supplies? Get the pop up wipes, college kids don’t use paper towels when they DO clean (because they used them all up as napkins for their pizza). And no, you don’t have to empty the local COSTCO of microwavable snacks and bottled water. They will not starve, in fact, you want them to go out and mingle in the dining rooms, and snack bars and local places - that’s where they will meet people. Pack one thing - a wrapped gift, an artifact from your home. Nothing expensive, but something significant, a favorite coffee mug, or a piece of needlework that hangs in the hallway, or something that makes them laugh every time you wear it. Wrap it up with a note and leave it in the room for them to open after you leave. That way you know you will be there with them.
                    For you all: Call enough and text enough, but that isn’t all day every day. Make a time to connect each week. Write letters and send mail. Real mail. It means something, and it doesn’t have to be poetry - what matters is authenticity. Tell them what it is like to achieve something because of something they taught you (this goes both ways), send them a treat and a copy of their favorite magazine, or simply write down three words, ”I Love You“ with the date that you wrote it on a napkin from the local coffee shop, to show them the date and where you were when you were when you were thinking of them.
                    Let your kid go it alone, and ask your parents to let you. If you see parents over parent their kids, that isn’t your cue to do the same; and if you see classmates relinquishing all decision making to their parents, that doesn’t mean you are being deprived of help by yours. Meaningful help is the best help.
                    All parties associated with this entire situation will screw up. Own it. Realize it. There are big screw ups (Forgetting to pay deposits and missing key deadlines) do your very best to not have those happen. Some schools are entirely unforgiving about them, and those schools that are wishy washy about it? ... don’t let their incapacity to manage their own business operations drive your actions. But the little screw ups? Own them and learn from them. They will make for wonderful family stories down the road.
                    Finally, remember this - there is never enough love and compassion. When you are on the receiving end of a call from your child or your parent that is sending you over the edge, stop and remember that YOU aren’t them. You don’t know what else is going on where they are. What stressors, what life’s challenges are hitting them in the face. You don’t know what just happened to them, that is making them feel like they do. Never ever tell them, “that’s no big deal.” Because right then and there it is a big deal. Rather, say, “it sounds like this is a big thing for you. Is there anything else going on?“. And soon, you will find the nugget of truth where all this emotion is growing from.
                    Parents, kiddos ... it is a wonderful ride. Love every minute of it. And yes, it’s ok to cry.

Comment

• Hope you're doing OK, Slap. It took me quite a while. Three times.

? for you frequent flyers. Mrs. burd and I are flying ORD to SFO on Saturday, the 11th, for a week-long retreat with kids. It will be the 20th anniversary of 9-11; should we expect much change, time-wise, in the security process?

Comment

Hope you're doing OK, Slap. It took me quite a while. Three times.

? for you frequent flyers. Mrs. burd and I are flying ORD to SFO on Saturday, the 11th, for a week-long retreat with kids. It will be the 20th anniversary of 9-11; should we expect much change, time-wise, in the security process?
                        Yeah, everything is moving waaaaay slower due to COVID plus staffing issues at airports for TSA.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Looks like the White House is going to remove the air travel ban from EU, China, Brazil, etc starting in Nov.

....but not so fast. Vaccinated only, with negative test within a day of departure.

Yet another tool for pushing the unvaccinated out of civilized society.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                            Looks like the White House is going to remove the air travel ban from EU, China, Brazil, etc starting in Nov.

....but not so fast. Vaccinated only, with negative test within a day of departure.

Yet another tool for pushing the unvaccinated out of civilized society.
                            Good.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• I like it.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• mookie good to go for the return flight tomorrow. I’s crossed and T’s dotted
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X