Travel 4: All Around the World Same Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel 4: All Around the World Same Song

This might be the greatest travelogue I've ever read. I kind of want to go.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      If you include Canada, I would add Ocean Falls, BC.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        Tangier was in the (excellent) Robert MacNeil show The Story of English. They sound like a cross between Appalachia and the Windsor Court. Really strange.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Airline cancelled my flight to London at the end of this month (I wasn't going to go anyway, but they saved me the work of cancelling it myself). That was my second vacation canceled due to the pandemic. My next vacation is on no matter what: going on a week long canoe trip along the Allagash Wilderness Waterway in northern Maine in July. Paddling 80+ miles of the water way and will be completely isolated with no cell phone reception for a week. Who knows what kind of world I will come back to! Maybe some crazy **** will go down like Trump resigning while I'm off the grid!

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            Airline cancelled my flight to London at the end of this month (I wasn't going to go anyway, but they saved me the work of cancelling it myself). That was my second vacation canceled due to the pandemic. My next vacation is on no matter what: going on a week long canoe trip along the Allagash Wilderness Waterway in northern Maine in July. Paddling 80+ miles of the water way and will be completely isolated with no cell phone reception for a week. Who knows what kind of world I will come back to! Maybe some crazy **** will go down like Trump resigning while I'm off the grid!
            From your lips to God's ears.

Since this started I have had to cancel or have had cancelled a 10 day trip to St Croix to see my friend who lives there, a trip to Williamsburg, another to VA for a wedding, a trip to Idaho for a 25th wedding anniv celebration, a trip to Amsterdam for a week. And also all the othertrips I make almost every weekend doing photography for XC, T&F- that would have been trips to VT (overnight), NH, CT, RI, and western MA. This was going to be one of the most expensive travel years since we got married. Instead we are in the black by thousands. We budgeted for all that and poof.

(Good thing because I will not be shocked if I end up jobless this coming Semester. )

Comment

• Allagash Wilderness Waterway was awesome. We started about 75-80 miles from the village at the end of the waterway. Took us 6 days, but the first day was a short one.

It was great not hearing about / thinking about Covid or Donald Trump for a week.

Lots of wildlife. Encountered very few people. Would love to go back. Would have liked a little more water (lots of rock dodging in the river sections, we had to drag the canoes in a few places. Some spots that would have been fun little rapids were pretty annoying since it was impossible to avoid all the rocks)

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                Allagash Wilderness Waterway was awesome. We started about 75-80 miles from the village at the end of the waterway. Took us 6 days, but the first day was a short one.

It was great not hearing about / thinking about Covid or Donald Trump for a week.

Lots of wildlife. Encountered very few people. Would love to go back. Would have liked a little more water (lots of rock dodging in the river sections, we had to drag the canoes in a few places. Some spots that would have been fun little rapids were pretty annoying since it was impossible to avoid all the rocks)
                Jealous! Not sure what I am jealous more of- the lack of hearing about the scum human beings can be or seeing the beauty of the earth.

Comment

• Just a small plug for the ol' hometown.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/local-...tGf0UdHaMetCVA
                  Last edited by rufus; 08-05-2020, 04:41 PM.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Jet Blue trying to sell me 20$ flights. Yeah. no.

Comment

• Over here in Europe, I've been able to spend five of the last six weeks in Vienna. Just working remotely and taking some weekend trips to Bratislava, Budapest, and Ljubljana. I think next week, I'll head to Switzerland.

How's travel in the states going?

Comment

• Flight back to the US looks to be on schedule for next Thursday.

considering a quick couple nights in New Orleans. Take the mask off for dinner both nights. Otherwise it stays tight and no boozing.
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          Flight back to the US looks to be on schedule for next Thursday.

considering a quick couple nights in New Orleans. Take the mask off for dinner both nights. Otherwise it stays tight and no boozing.
                          Jaques-Imos is a nice choice outside the quarter--just excellent food. It was crowded when I was there precovid, so I don't know what their distancing rules are.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

Jaques-Imos is a nice choice outside the quarter--just excellent food. It was crowded when I was there precovid, so I don't know what their distancing rules are.
                            Reads as though all restaurants need to social distance the tables. Masks required except when actively eating. NO service at bars and reservations required to track if needed.

sounds as though safe as can be. And if people are scared away less crowded and easier to get a table

thanks for the tip too

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              Flight back to the US looks to be on schedule for next Thursday.

I found it interesting to wander around St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 but I was told not to go alone because people would sometimes get robbed. I brought a friend, but there were plenty of guided groups going through so there were almost always other people around. I believe they changed it to only allow guided groups into #1 so you can't just wander around anymore, and the tours are something like $20. There are still other cemeteries nearby that you can go in without being part of a tour group (like St. Louis Cemetery No 2).

I've also been through the facility where they assemble the Mardi Gras floats a couple times, and that was interesting. Not sure if it's open right now (they usually do public tours), but both times I went it was after hours for private events. You could walk around and look at floats in various stages of assembly.
                              Last edited by BassAle; 08-06-2020, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• Mookie is also open for breakfast suggestions (heavy on the grits)

Comment

Working...
                                X