Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travel 4: All Around the World Same Song

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Have they never heard of gate checking in Europe?
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

    Comment


    • After staying up to 3 AM repacking and today being up from 6 AM Glasgow time to now, traveling, we and every bottle of scotch and every piece of glassware made it home safely. Unreal. What a trip.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

      Comment


      • Starting to look for flights for our European trip next year, am curious if anyone has any experience with German trains. Depending on the airline, we may end up connecting through Frankfurt on our way to Berlin. Was wondering about opinions about taking the train vs. a plane for that final leg. Plane would be quicker, obviously (roughly an hour flight vs a 4 hour train ride, looks like), but since we'd be landing in the morning after an overnight flight and likely won't be able to check into our hotel right away anyway, don't really care if we get in at 10 am vs. 1 pm or whatever.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by unofan View Post
          Starting to look for flights for our European trip next year, am curious if anyone has any experience with German trains. Depending on the airline, we may end up connecting through Frankfurt on our way to Berlin. Was wondering about opinions about taking the train vs. a plane for that final leg. Plane would be quicker, obviously (roughly an hour flight vs a 4 hour train ride, looks like), but since we'd be landing in the morning after an overnight flight and likely won't be able to check into our hotel right away anyway, don't really care if we get in at 10 am vs. 1 pm or whatever.
          I flew into Frankfurt and took ICE to Berlin multiple times while living in Berlin, back in early 2000s. The new airport wasn’t open back then in Berlin so it was my easiest option. I found it pretty easy - and not difficult to hop on ICE train

          Comment


          • Originally posted by unofan View Post
            Starting to look for flights for our European trip next year, am curious if anyone has any experience with German trains. Depending on the airline, we may end up connecting through Frankfurt on our way to Berlin. Was wondering about opinions about taking the train vs. a plane for that final leg. Plane would be quicker, obviously (roughly an hour flight vs a 4 hour train ride, looks like), but since we'd be landing in the morning after an overnight flight and likely won't be able to check into our hotel right away anyway, don't really care if we get in at 10 am vs. 1 pm or whatever.
            Generally, you're looking at about 65-80 euros for your train and between 4-5 hours. There's a direct train, but most likely you'll be needing to switch either in Frankfurt itself or along the way to Berlin.

            Trains are going to be comfortable, but pay the extra 4.50 per seat to reserve a spot. It just makes it so much easier.

            If you have motion sickness, be aware that Frankfurt Main Hbf is a terminus, so you'd have 10 minutes from the Frankfurt Airpot (Flughafen) to the Frankfurt Main Train station (Hbf) and then switch directions.

            The journey will be fine, but personally after having an international flight over here, I'd much rather get to my desitation faster and be able to walk around a city than be sitting on a train for another 4 hours.

            Comment


            • Yeah always do a reservation. It’s a lifesaver on busy trains

              Comment


              • Even with Brandenburg finally open, unless you just can't wait for a currywurst and a doener, I would probably train it from FRA. You usually can't check in to a hotel that early anyway and once you're on the ICE to Berlin Hauptbahnhof you can enjoy the countryside views and have a nap.

                But yes, do reserve seats. The Southwest Airlines style cattle call can go to hell.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Even with Brandenburg finally open, unless you just can't wait for a currywurst and a doener, I would probably train it from FRA. You usually can't check in to a hotel that early anyway and once you're on the ICE to Berlin Hauptbahnhof you can enjoy the countryside views and have a nap.

                  But yes, do reserve seats. The Southwest Airlines style cattle call can go to hell.
                  traveling back from D?sseldorf to Berlin one holiday weekend on ICE and I could not believe the train when we got on. Took me several minutes to navigate to my reserved seat because the aisle was stuffed full of people and very politely, in German, informed the poor dude he was in my seat. He made me show the ticket, then grumbled as he went to look for a place to stand. Just stuffed in like cattle

                  Comment


                  • The train system in Germany and Austria is horrible at the moment. Most of the trains are always late for some reasons.
                    That's the reason i prefer renting a car and just drive (austrian vignette is available here avstrijskavinjeta.si)
                    This way i can count on myself only and don't be depended on some schedules and delays.
                    Last edited by anygreen; 12-29-2022, 06:36 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by anygreen View Post
                      The train system in Germany is horrible at the moment.
                      Most of the trains are always late for some reasons
                      Oh **** off. You guys don't even have access to parts to make trains anymore.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                      Comment


                      • National Weather Service for the Twin Cities:

                        “The bottom line for travel this week is as follows...

                        ”Travel on Tuesday is the best plan.
                        ”Wednesday travel will be heavily impaired by accumulating snow.

                        “Thu-Sat travel will be heavily impaired by blizzard conditions and dangerous wind chills if you get stranded.”
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                        "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                        "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          National Weather Service for the Twin Cities:

                          “The bottom line for travel this week is as follows...

                          ”Travel on Tuesday is the best plan.
                          ”Wednesday travel will be heavily impaired by accumulating snow.

                          “Thu-Sat travel will be heavily impaired by blizzard conditions and dangerous wind chills if you get stranded.”
                          Serious question - the boys are scheduled to fly here starting Sunday - is that potentially in jeopardy?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

                            Serious question - the boys are scheduled to fly here starting Sunday - is that potentially in jeopardy?
                            Delays occur due to planes and staff held up because of weather.
                            hopefully it works out for all y’all, Inshalla.
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

                              Serious question - the boys are scheduled to fly here starting Sunday - is that potentially in jeopardy?
                              You should be in decent shape weather wise on Sunday. The issue is gonna be the carry over from Thursday/Friday/Saturday.
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

                              Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

                              Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

                              Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

                              Comment


                              • I suspect most flights are in seriously jeopardy th/fr. Saturday is just windy. So not great, but not bad.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X