Travel 4: All Around the World Same Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

You can still have a lot of fun without gambling. My wife and I were there Jan 2020 for the Fortress tournament and didn't place a single bet. The over-the-top-ness of it all is fun to experience now and then. I don't know if I'd go there all the time, but the occasional trip in is fun.
    I've been to Vegas a couple times before, so I know there's other stuff to do. However gambling is a big part of the culture there and you can't really escape it, even at McCarran.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

You can still have a lot of fun without gambling. My wife and I were there Jan 2020 for the Fortress tournament and didn't place a single bet. The over-the-top-ness of it all is fun to experience now and then. I don't know if I'd go there all the time, but the occasional trip in is fun.
      Girl doesn’t gamble, but we have been together a couple times. We eat and see shows. She will indulge me sitting in a sports book on a Sunday and watching nfl. She will get as excited as anyone else with the crowd, which is better than being in a stadium on Sunday.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• At any rate, I just booked the Vegas flights as all the warm-ish destinations are getting outrageously expensive, so that's where we're going. New Orleans will be there next year (assuming another Katrina doesn't roll through). TBH, I am kind of annoyed that it took this long for her to make up her mind, particularly for a trip that was her idea and that she wanted to plan together. Her lack of action cost us some extra $$$, but it's also sort of my fault for 1) Not expressly communicating that fares were going up and we needed to make a choice, and 2) Knowing that she's not much of a planner. I think going forward we will just set the expectation that, as the experienced traveler, I am the travel agent and will prepare a few different itineraries for her to pick from, and give her a deadline that is, at most, 6-8 weeks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          At any rate, I just booked the Vegas flights as all the warm-ish destinations are getting outrageously expensive, so that's where we're going. New Orleans will be there next year (assuming another Katrina doesn't roll through). TBH, I am kind of annoyed that it took this long for her to make up her mind, particularly for a trip that was her idea and that she wanted to plan together. Her lack of action cost us some extra $$$, but it's also sort of my fault for 1) Not expressly communicating that fares were going up and we needed to make a choice, and 2) Knowing that she's not much of a planner. I think going forward we will just set the expectation that, as the experienced traveler, I am the travel agent and will prepare a few different itineraries for her to pick from, and give her a deadline that is, at most, 6-8 weeks in advance.
          Isn't the "Planners Paradox" a lovely thing? Lol...
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

At any rate, I just booked the Vegas flights as all the warm-ish destinations are getting outrageously expensive, so that's where we're going. New Orleans will be there next year (assuming another Katrina doesn't roll through). TBH, I am kind of annoyed that it took this long for her to make up her mind, particularly for a trip that was her idea and that she wanted to plan together. Her lack of action cost us some extra $$$, but it's also sort of my fault for 1) Not expressly communicating that fares were going up and we needed to make a choice, and 2) Knowing that she's not much of a planner. I think going forward we will just set the expectation that, as the experienced traveler, I am the travel agent and will prepare a few different itineraries for her to pick from, and give her a deadline that is, at most, 6-8 weeks in advance.
            I was supposed to do New Years in Vegas...still ticked that got nixed. I love Vegas whether gambling or not. Hell rent a car and go to Red Rock Canyon its friggin gorgeous!

San Fran was nice but way too expensive and honestly, outside of a few touristy things, pretty boring. The Wharf is cool, Chinatown is fun, Haight Ashbury was a must and beyond that...meh. A lot of the same stuff you find everywhere only half the day the weather is mediocre and everything costs 20% more than it needs to. Next time I go I will spend almost no time there (except dinner near the Wharf cause...duh) and will check out other places around like Berkley. Wine Country wails though.

New Orleans may be a [bleep]hole but it also has charm and is way less homogenized. I love it and the people are great. Lower Garden District is way better than anything San Fran has to offer and the WWII Museum is outstanding.

In truth though every city can be called "overrated" or be beloved. I found San Diego rather overrated but I would still go back there. There is always something in every city to enjoy...except maybe in NoDak ;^)
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• I've been to San Francisco and while Chinatown is worth a stop, it is not a city for lightweights. After dark there was open drug use, aggressive hookers, people with the heebie jeebies waiting outside of the methadone clinics, and it was basically everything you've heard about NYC in the 80s. The stuff that rural Republican voters think is every city in the US.

Comment

• People need to discover the other areas in northern CA. Give me San Luis Obispo or Avila beach any day over anything near the city limits of SF.

Comment

• I enjoyed Santa Rosa quite a bit.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• I love Vegas and I'm absolutely not a gambler. I'll spend a few hours at some tables throughout the week I'll spend there at most.

There's so much to do there. And it's perfectly centrally located to a number of amazing state/federal parks if you want to make day trips to Death Valley, Zion, Bryce, Hoover Dam... even the Grand Canyon.
                    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

I've been to San Francisco and while Chinatown is worth a stop, it is not a city for lightweights. After dark there was open drug use, aggressive hookers, people with the heebie jeebies waiting outside of the methadone clinics, and it was basically everything you've heard about NYC in the 80s. The stuff that rural Republican voters think is every city in the US.
                      I love visiting San Francisco on work-trips, but it's really getting killed by wealth inequality. I read one article that showed significant observable impact on housing prices in San Francisco every time one of the "app companies" (Twitter, Square, Air B&B, etc) went public. A lot of these companies that are based on a single phone app are based right in San Francisco instead of Silicon Valley. I mean, there was crazy inequality before the app economy, but now it's an order of magnitude worse. Now it's like everyone is either wealthy or living on the fringe. Last time I was there for a work trip to the Apple World Wide Developer's Conference, which was quite a while ago now, I was in a $600/night hotel room. If I walked for a block or two in one direction from my hotel I could shop at a Tiffany's. If I walked a block the other direction, I could be in a sketchy liquor store on the border of the Tenderloin. I walked over to buy a six pack to stock up my hotel fridge, and a dude decided to whip his dick out and **** on the sidewalk right in front of me on broad daylight. I met some interesting characters hanging out at the bar at the Gold Dust Lounge on Powell St, during various work trips, but sadly I believe that bar is no more.

Comment

• back from an excellent trip from the Southern California Desert (Death Valley National Park and Joshua Tree National Park).

I had two trips canceled early in the pandemic, including one international trip, and I've avoided flying until now. I wore a KN95 on the plane, and I'm vaccinated (but was unable to get my booster before leaving) but I'm still not super excited to be crammed in there with a bunch of other people. There was one woman that was not very good about mask compliance, and I'm somewhat surprised the flight attendants didn't get more aggressive with her (she was walking around the plane with her mask off, and I believe they had to remind her to put her mask on when she was boarding, and again a few times before take off).

Comment

• Leaving tomorrow for 10 days on Kauai.
                          Originally posted by mookie1995
                          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                            back from an excellent trip from the Southern California Desert (Death Valley National Park and Joshua Tree National Park).

I had two trips canceled early in the pandemic, including one international trip, and I've avoided flying until now. I wore a KN95 on the plane, and I'm vaccinated (but was unable to get my booster before leaving) but I'm still not super excited to be crammed in there with a bunch of other people. There was one woman that was not very good about mask compliance, and I'm somewhat surprised the flight attendants didn't get more aggressive with her (she was walking around the plane with her mask off, and I believe they had to remind her to put her mask on when she was boarding, and again a few times before take off).
                            How did you like Death Valley? How much time did you spend there? I spent an afternoon driving around in 2017ish, and I loved it and can't wait to go back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

How did you like Death Valley? How much time did you spend there? I spent an afternoon driving around in 2017ish, and I loved it and can't wait to go back.
                              Follow-up question... how did you like Joshua Tree?

I've been to both and was amazed at DV but underwhelmed by JT. The latter partly because it's a long, boring drive that's out of the way when also doing DV, Sequoia, King's Canyon, and Yosemite.

Spent 3 days/ nights in DV and I could have done a week. It's surprisingly versatile. Of course, you have Badwater Basin, but there are also waterfalls, great hikes up mountains on the west side, and a lot of variety. I highly recommend it, especially in the shoulder seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post

Follow-up question... how did you like Joshua Tree?

I've been to both and was amazed at DV but underwhelmed by JT. The latter partly because it's a long, boring drive that's out of the way when also doing DV, Sequoia, King's Canyon, and Yosemite.

Spent 3 days/ nights in DV and I could have done a week. It's surprisingly versatile. Of course, you have Badwater Basin, but there are also waterfalls, great hikes up mountains on the west side, and a lot of variety. I highly recommend it, especially in the shoulder seasons.
                                I visited in February - so the valley floor was only just starting its spring bloom. I'm from New England, so our geography is ... trees. Hills, swamps, marshes, some mountains, ocean... and more trees. And DV may as well be the surface of Mars to me. It was wild.

I want to spend a night in the hotel inside. It seemed perversely out of place. We didn't get to the north half at all - came in the middle (the road where that ghost town Rhyolite is) and exited south. Only spend 3-4 hours there.

Comment

Working...
                                X