Travel 4: All Around the World Same Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    The same Alaska that has joined Florida’s lawsuit even though they’ve been warned that cruises will be canceled if they win?
    Have they really? Well crud.

Either way, my (basic, only rudimentary) understanding is that with Florida, the idiot "nuh uh, no vaccine requirements" rules only would apply to a cruise ship that sails out of a city within Florida - it does not apply if you're just stopping in for a day or two during a cruise. The Alaskan cruise lines don't sail from Alaska - they travel to it.
    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Have they really? Well crud.

Either way, my (basic, only rudimentary) understanding is that with Florida, the idiot "nuh uh, no vaccine requirements" rules only would apply to a cruise ship that sails out of a city within Florida - it does not apply if you're just stopping in for a day or two during a cruise. The Alaskan cruise lines don't sail from Alaska - they travel to it.
      Never underestimate the stupidity of Alaska’s politicians. We’re just as bad as Florida, only saved by the fact there’s fewer people.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• It's gonna be interesting for me over the next month:

I'll be traveling to the Detroit area three times to fish Bass tournaments. Two north of town on Lake St. Clair and one South of town on the Detroit river down by Lake Erie. I'm assuming that the hotel stays will all basically be back to normal. I'm also assuming that I'll probably be one of a very select few who choose to continue to wear a mask.

I'm looking forward to getting to travel again and not have to be constantly looking over my shoulder so to speak. Also glad that restaurants should be back in full swing.

Fade or MichVandal, any suggestions on local eateries that could use some tourist dollars? Staying in Chesterfield, but will probably drive into the city for a night on the first trip at least. Overall I'll be in the area for six nights over the next month.
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          It's gonna be interesting for me over the next month:

I'll be traveling to the Detroit area three times to fish Bass tournaments. Two north of town on Lake St. Clair and one South of town on the Detroit river down by Lake Erie. I'm assuming that the hotel stays will all basically be back to normal. I'm also assuming that I'll probably be one of a very select few who choose to continue to wear a mask.

I'm looking forward to getting to travel again and not have to be constantly looking over my shoulder so to speak. Also glad that restaurants should be back in full swing.

Fade or MichVandal, any suggestions on local eateries that could use some tourist dollars? Staying in Chesterfield, but will probably drive into the city for a night on the first trip at least. Overall I'll be in the area for six nights over the next month.
          Hotels will be normalish - do not expect a comp breakfast (if typically offered) or daily housekeeping. You will likely see more masks than you might think, but I would say a majority of the vaccinated have given them up unless they are at work, or frequenting a particular business that is still requiring it.

Unfortunately, I'm not a huge help with Macomb County as I avoid going there unless I absolutely have to (let's just say "cultural differences"). Your best bets for chow in the city are going to be in Midtown (starting at LCA and going northwest along Woodward and Cass Ave, up to the Wayne State campus) and Corktown (Michigan Ave/M-12). Lots of good restaurants and bars to pick from in either of those 'hoods.

Comment

• Now Dr. Mrs. found DC-Peru flights for about $250. But then I pointed out to her that her passport is expired. Oops. I assume it will take quite a bit of time to get it renewed given the sh-t state the Nazis deliberately left DOS in.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Now Dr. Mrs. found DC-Peru flights for about $250. But then I pointed out to her that her passport is expired. Oops. I assume it will take quite a bit of time to get it renewed given the sh-t state the Nazis deliberately left DOS in.
              Government Services are at an all time low. It's my we really need to pass the law that requires a government ID to vote.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• I got mine renewed in 2019 without any issues...
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Hotels will be normalish - do not expect a comp breakfast (if typically offered) or daily housekeeping. You will likely see more masks than you might think, but I would say a majority of the vaccinated have given them up unless they are at work, or frequenting a particular business that is still requiring it.

Unfortunately, I'm not a huge help with Macomb County as I avoid going there unless I absolutely have to (let's just say "cultural differences"). Your best bets for chow in the city are going to be in Midtown (starting at LCA and going northwest along Woodward and Cass Ave, up to the Wayne State campus) and Corktown (Michigan Ave/M-12). Lots of good restaurants and bars to pick from in either of those 'hoods.
                  Hrm. I take it that I'll be hanging around many people that feel their FreeDumbs have been infringed upon within the last 18 months or so... I've never beed to that part of the state so I'm just taking a flyer with this deal. Is this Kid Rock's future voting base since he seems to have government aspirations?
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                    Hrm. I take it that I'll be hanging around many people that feel their FreeDumbs have been infringed upon within the last 18 months or so... I've never beed to that part of the state so I'm just taking a flyer with this deal. Is this Kid Rock's future voting base since he seems to have government aspirations?
                    Macomb voted for Trump twice and by a 9-10 point margin both times to boot. The communities that don't directly border Oakland County are basically a northerly extension of Downriver (where it sounds like you're also going). Just follow all the normal conversation rules you'd adhere to when visiting a red state or your racist uncle's house - stick to fishing/hunting/guns/boats/outdoor stuff and don't bite on political comments.

I noticed there is a Bad Brad's BBQ in New Baltimore, not far from Chesterfield. Assuming as it's as good as the other two locations, that's a very good food choice for a night when you don't make the trip into the city. Otherwise, downtown Mt. Clemens will most likely have your best food options in that area.

Comment

• If all goes as planned I'll be in Minnesota for a few weeks toward the end of August - 1st week of September. As such I'm trying to buy FB tickets for the Gophers vs. OSU and the freaking site keeps crashing. grrr..

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        If all goes as planned I'll be in Minnesota for a few weeks toward the end of August - 1st week of September. As such I'm trying to buy FB tickets for the Gophers vs. OSU and the freaking site keeps crashing. grrr..
                        Do you ever come home during hockey season and take in a gopher game?

Comment

If all goes as planned I'll be in Minnesota for a few weeks toward the end of August - 1st week of September. As such I'm trying to buy FB tickets for the Gophers vs. OSU and the freaking site keeps crashing. grrr..
                          Have somebody here buy them for you? It's not like there aren't 10 million Minny fans here.

What else is the Cafe than Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Cornell fans talking about how BC and Michigan suck?
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• burd - my first trip back to MN in 7 years.

Kep - I will do that if I can't through within the day.

Comment

burd - my first trip back to MN in 7 years.

Kep - I will do that if I can't through within the day.
                              I don't recall your kids' ages. Have they been to MN?

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

I don't recall your kids' ages. Have they been to MN?
                                They are 18 and 17, born and raised in MN until we moved here in 2014.

Comment

Working...
                                X