Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2021, anyone there to watch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Latifi actually being the victim of a bad move for once made me laugh, too.
    Yeah, but the bad move was made by Mick. So, basically it was a battle of the top drivers who make bad moves...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Yeah, but the bad move was made by Mick. So, basically it was a battle of the top drivers who make bad moves...
      If there was anything to confirm why Mick didn't get resigned, there you go. I felt bad for him, but it is what it is. I don't see him back in F1 anytime soon.

Comment

• Better days.

Charlotte is now an ex.

Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Easy come , easy go.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• In the last few days, kind of carnage in the management ranks...

With Binitto being ousted, Sauber principle Vasseur moves to Ferrari.
            And then Vasseur is replaced by McLaren principle Seidle (sort of- apparently not official yet, but rumors abound that he's buying into the team, and he's also close with future partner Audi)
            And Seidle is replaced internally by Stella.

Ferrari, well, yea- just keep firing people until they win- that's how it's been forever.
            Sauber- makes sense if Seidle gets ownership and a better partner with Audi
            And Stella, well, need someone who knows what's going on...

All of that makes sense.

Then there is Williams. Where the top two were told to let go after very underperforming for 2022. Not sure what to make of this, as Williams never has enough money, so the "focus on 2023" work could not happen like it did at Mercedes. Well, that's my theory. But given that Williams is owned by a investment group- maybe they are rethinking their investment??? Do they have any clue what to do?

And if they sell, can the name change? As much as Mike wants to be in F1, would he do it even if the team didn't have Andretti on the title?

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
              In the last few days, kind of carnage in the management ranks...

With Binitto being ousted, Sauber principle Vasseur moves to Ferrari.
              And then Vasseur is replaced by McLaren principle Seidle (sort of- apparently not official yet, but rumors abound that he's buying into the team, and he's also close with future partner Audi)
              And Seidle is replaced internally by Stella.

Ferrari, well, yea- just keep firing people until they win- that's how it's been forever.
              Sauber- makes sense if Seidle gets ownership and a better partner with Audi
              And Stella, well, need someone who knows what's going on...

All of that makes sense.

Then there is Williams. Where the top two were told to let go after very underperforming for 2022. Not sure what to make of this, as Williams never has enough money, so the "focus on 2023" work could not happen like it did at Mercedes. Well, that's my theory. But given that Williams is owned by a investment group- maybe they are rethinking their investment??? Do they have any clue what to do?

And if they sell, can the name change? As much as Mike wants to be in F1, would he do it even if the team didn't have Andretti on the title?
              Whoever thought we would have a silly season for team managers...?

According to Zak Brown, Seidl told McLaren earlier this year he wasn't sticking around past his contract end date of 2025. So, he probably was heading to Audi all the time, and with Vasseur leaving, it accelerated the time line for him. Seidl has a lot of experience with VW Group projects and certainly understands the politics there.

Interesting fact about the investment company that bought Williams -- they have never sold any business they bought. Not exactly what you expect from a capital venture group.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Interesting fact about the investment company that bought Williams -- they have never sold any business they bought. Not exactly what you expect from a capital venture group.
                That is interesting. Given the massive changes, I really wonder what their long term plan is. They really need to find some high end sponsors so that Williams can compete just on the base spending level. And seeing what they did this past season- there's a LONG way to go to do that.

Comment

• FIA is taking a page out of FIFA’s playbook and banning drivers from making “political statements” without prior permission.

Time for Hamilton to bump the rainbow helmet to full-time.

https://www.racefans.net/2022/12/20/...ut-permission/
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• So The Race has come out with two interesting stories in the last few days- one that F1 is likely to open up the bidding process for new teams.

And then this gem- https://the-race.com/formula-1/andre...-f1-entry-bid/

Where one of those possible bids will be Andretti-Cadillac.

Never really saw this one coming.

Comment

So The Race has come out with two interesting stories in the last few days- one that F1 is likely to open up the bidding process for new teams.

And then this gem- https://the-race.com/formula-1/andre...-f1-entry-bid/

Where one of those possible bids will be Andretti-Cadillac.

Never really saw this one coming.
                      Very interesting. Andretti and Cadillac. Racer has 3-4 stories up on it now.

i can’t see how Andretti gets spurned again on this.

and if this does go through Colton Herta will be racing F1 as soon as the team is up and running.

Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

Very interesting. Andretti and Cadillac. Racer has 3-4 stories up on it now.

i can’t see how Andretti gets spurned again on this.

and if this does go through Colton Herta will be racing F1 as soon as the team is up and running.
                        Sorry, but I can. Given Andretti's history of success, there's no real evidence that it can achieve what Haas has, and add a brand new F1 powertrain? Do we really want to see Team Andretti lapped by both Williams cars?

And Colton still needs to earn his F1 points- which is also indicative of Andretti's success.

To get all of the teams to buy in, they would require in advance a massive sponsor for the entire F1 grid to make sure they don't drain the prize money by adding another team. And I do understand that if they finish last, they get nothing.

I really wish I could think otherwise, I really like Mario (and have met him), and recognize that Mike was a great Indycar driver (he's still 4th all time wins). But it's been a decade since RHR won a championship for them, and 5 years since a significant win (Sato at the 500).

Comment

To get all of the teams to buy in, they would require in advance a massive sponsor for the entire F1 grid to make sure they don't drain the prize money by adding another team.
                          Is there a Holy Grail get out there? Is there a glaring absence, like Amazon, Apple, Shell? Dare I say... Toyota?

Could they make enough by adding Walmart for an American team? (I assume its sales are close to zero outside Murica, or has Walmart infested the rest of the planet?)

Edit: OMG. 2750 stores in Mexico. 800 in Central America. 400 in Africa.

"Wherever you find a guy without a grade school education... I'll be there."

Last edited by Kepler; 01-05-2023, 03:20 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Is there a Holy Grail get out there? Is there a glaring absence, like Amazon, Apple, Shell? Dare I say... Toyota?
                            The holy grail is GM. (Forget Toyota. They are never coming back to F1.)

Amazon is already a major sponsor of F1. Shell was, but Aramco took their spot.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Forget Toyota. They are never coming back to F1.
                              Not as a constructor but as power train? A lower order vendor? A sponsor?
                              Cornell University

Comment

Sorry, but I can. Given Andretti's history of success, there's no real evidence that it can achieve what Haas has, and add a brand new F1 powertrain?.
                                Apparently, it's not going to be a Cadillac engine.

It's going to be an already existing powerplant (Renault or Honda). But it won't be just a sponsorship deal like Alfa Romeo with Sauber. GM will provide engine development resources. Which doesn't make any sense. First, why would GM help to develop a rival's engine? And how would it work with F1 rules concerning development when the development has already been done by the engine supplier? I'm confused.
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X