Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2021, anyone there to watch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was shaping up to be Hamilton’s weekend. Merc was picking up speed every lap, Perez knocked out Q2, then Verstappen had power issues and abandoned his final lap. Then Russell gets pole and… Hamilton never crosses because of a DRS issue that caused him to abandon as well. So P7 on what likely would’ve had a chance at pole, now stuck behind the two Alpines who Hamilton always seems to have issues passing.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      This was shaping up to be Hamilton’s weekend. Merc was picking up speed every lap, Perez knocked out Q2, then Verstappen had power issues and abandoned his final lap. Then Russell gets pole and… Hamilton never crosses because of a DRS issue that caused him to abandon as well. So P7 on what likely would’ve had a chance at pole, now stuck behind the two Alpines who Hamilton always seems to have issues passing.
      Given the nature of the track, he should at least be able to clear on of the cars in front of him- the left side is way better to start on.

Comment

Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

How is he still racing???
        You're joking right?
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Given the nature of the track, he should at least be able to clear on of the cars in front of him- the left side is way better to start on.
          Is this really a thing, like sometimes it's better to be P3 than P2?
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Is this really a thing, like sometimes it's better to be P3 than P2?
            Yeah, some of the others can explain way better (calling Russell Jaslow) but I believe it's because one side is on the racing line and has better grip.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              Yeah, some of the others can explain way better (calling Russell Jaslow) but I believe it's because one side is on the racing line and has better grip.
              Exactly correct.

Comment

You're joking right?
                I know that, but at some point, daddy’s money is not worth it.

Comment

So, that was another interesting race. Dr. Mrs. and I have now seen two, with identical podiums.

Can one of you who knows things tell me what Ferrari's strategy was, and why it didn't work?
                  Cornell University

Comment

So, that was another interesting race. Dr. Mrs. and I have now seen two, with identical podiums.

Can one of you who knows things tell me what Ferrari's strategy was, and why it didn't work?
                    No idea what Ferrari was doing there. Seems to me that you and your wife should be sending your applications into Maranelo to be chief strategists. Given your newbieness into F1 seeing that they did dumb things, well, yea- you are both smarter than Ferrari strategists. These guys are supposed to be pros, and it almost seems that they are selling their pit calls off to rich people who are just getting an expensive car.

They were given an "excuse" that they used up their allotment of medium tires on Friday- which was a nice gesture from Toto Wolfe. Even though Sainz did the same thing Friday, and wasn't given hard tires to struggle on.

Heck, the Ferrari C team (Haas) clearly demonstrated that the hard tires were the exact wrong tires to use- they were not fast enough to cover a second pit stop. How they didn't see that, I don't really know what to say. When I saw that move, I said to myself that was Ferrari handing the WC to Max AND that it's more likely that they will finish 3rd in the team championship- letting the slower Mercedes out point them quite comfortably.

One thing that I do like going into the break- Mercedes sure seems that they will be able to keep Lewis' win streak alive. Kep- something you may not know- Hamilton has won a race in every single season he has competed with- when McLaren struggled in 2010 and beyond as well as the year he moved to Mercedes and everyone could not understand why he did that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I'm no expert, but I don't think they had a strategy. It was purely knee-jerk reaction. Each driver has to use two different compounds of tires. Since Ferrari had used mediums for their first two stops, they were going to have to go to softs or hards for the last one. They got a little flustered by how early Verstappen went in for his final stop, and because it was too early to try to finish on softs, they went with hards, despite the data from other teams that they weren't going to work. Rather than try to catch up on Max late in the race on fresher tires (like Hamilton), they decided to pit as close as possible. Hards weren't working because it was too cool. The interesting thing is that Sainz performed much worse with the softs than Hamilton did.

I was a little confused on Merc's strategy today as well. They went S-M-M for Russell, and M-M-S for Hamilton, which is fine, you don't need to match your drivers, but they only left Hamilton out there three more laps on the starting tire. Seems like they could've started him on softs and maybe he would've had a couple seconds more here or there. Maybe they were expecting a safety car at some point since the commentators said there's a 2/3 chance at Hungary, but one never came.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

I was a little confused on Merc's strategy today as well. They went S-M-M for Russell, and M-M-S for Hamilton, which is fine, you don't need to match your drivers, but they only left Hamilton out there three more laps on the starting tire. Seems like they could've started him on softs and maybe he would've had a couple seconds more here or there. Maybe they were expecting a safety car at some point since the commentators said there's a 2/3 chance at Hungary, but one never came.
                        Seemed that they were trying to keep up with Max a little better- who had undercut him pretty badly by then. If they could have kept up during that middle stint, the end of the race would have been a lot different.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Seemed that they were trying to keep up with Max a little better- who had undercut him pretty badly by then. If they could have kept up during that middle stint, the end of the race would have been a lot different.
                          I wonder if S-M-S might have been the play, especially with how good Hamilton is at conserving tires, but Verstappen was on another level today. Even after ruining his fresh tires with that spin out he was still pulling away from the pack until Hamilton went on softs.

I don't know where Ferrari goes after this. Leclerc has the best car on the track, this was supposed to be their year with Merc struggling, and now Merc can actually take 2nd place in the WCC at Spa and LeClerc could actually fall to fourth in the WDC.

It's really too bad Merc wasn't competitive until the last four or five races. If you take Max out of the picture, there are only 32 points between 2nd and 6th. That would be some insane parity for the championship coming out of the August break.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

I know that, but at some point, daddy’s money is not worth it.
                            The contract ends this year.

Latifi's dad kept Williams alive during the pandemic by paying bills beyond what he was paying for his son's ride. When the Williams family sold it to Dorilton, the new owners say they always honor contracts. They don't do business any other way. So, they kept Latifi through this year.

He'll be gone the minute the checkered flag waves at Abu Dhabi. Which is why you keep hearing rumors of Piastri at Williams next year.
                            Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 07-31-2022, 01:29 PM.
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                              I'm no expert, but I don't think they had a strategy. It was purely knee-jerk reaction. Each driver has to use two different compounds of tires. Since Ferrari had used mediums for their first two stops, they were going to have to go to softs or hards for the last one. They got a little flustered by how early Verstappen went in for his final stop, and because it was too early to try to finish on softs, they went with hards, despite the data from other teams that they weren't going to work. Rather than try to catch up on Max late in the race on fresher tires (like Hamilton), they decided to pit as close as possible. Hards weren't working because it was too cool. The interesting thing is that Sainz performed much worse with the softs than Hamilton did.
                              They made two key mistakes with Leclerc. The first one was to have his first pit stop so early, matching those with the soft tires. The advantage of the medium tire is they can go longer than the softs. So, why waste that advantage (even if there is a short term loss in the middle stint) by going just as long as those with soft tires? They gave away speed to the soft tires and gave away the stint length advantage.

The second one was as you mentioned -- they reacted to Verstappen's second pit stop. It looks like they panicked. They should have just continued running their own race, understood hards were not going to work (it wasn't just Haas which demonstrated the hard tires weren't working, I think Alpine showed that, too), run the second mediums as long as they could, and then go to softs. And if they ran the first set of mediums as long as they should have, this would have perfectly placed them with the softs on a short stint with a light fuel load down to the end.

I think Mercedes was hedging their bets against the weather, so they split their two drivers' strategies.

Since soft tires are the best on wet conditions which don't need rain/intermediate tires, they setup Russell in case it rained early and setup Hamilton in case it rained late. If it never rained (which for all intents and purposes, it did not), Hamilton had the best strategy overall. But, I don't think they were aiming for that. It certainly appeared by the radar that it was going to rain at some point. So, Mercedes took that into consideration and set their drivers up on opposite strategies for opposite times the rain may come. When the rain didn't come early, it appears they adjusted Hamilton's strategy (though it does still seem a bit short for that first stint).
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• TIL the Red Bull principal married a Spice Girl.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X