Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2021, anyone there to watch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    So, the FIA and race stewards dun goofed and ****ed up the World Championship?
    That sounds... bad. Anybody like to summarize? Last I heard there were two racers going into the final vroom vroom with the title on the line.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

That sounds... bad. Anybody like to summarize? Last I heard there were two racers going into the final vroom vroom with the title on the line.
      Going into the end of the race, Hamilton was ahead by ~11 seconds, and then there was a pretty bad accident that clearly required a safety car. The lead was not quite enough to pit under the SC and still keep the lead had Verstappen not pitted.

Normally, SC's wait until all of the workers are off the track, and then let all of the lapped cars unlap themselves. Had that completely happened, the race would have finished under yellow. They could have chosen to not allow the lapped cars get by, but that would have kept 5 cars between Lewis and Max.

What they chose was to let JUST the cars between Hamilton and Verstappen by, ignoring Carlos Sainz in 3d behind Verstappen who could have pressured for 2nd, too. As well as all of the rest of the cars down to about 7th or so.

Once the gap between 1st and 2nd was eliminated, they decided to restart the race for one lap. It was a very easy pass on fresh soft tires vs. worn hard tires. Since Verstappen won, he won the drivers championship. So a decisions to partially apply the rules ended up deciding the championship.

Comment

Just watched on replay and I have a feeling this whole thing is going to end up in the CAS (because Mercedes had their appeal denied).
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Just watched on replay and I have a feeling this whole thing is going to end up in the CAS (because Mercedes had their appeal denied).
          You’re jumping ahead of yourself.

Mercedes had their original protest denied.

They have filed a motion to appeal to the FIA appeals court. They have 72 hours to notify the FIA whether they will go through with the appeal. If they do, a date will be set. They must present new evidence which was not available at the time the original protest was heard. I have no idea how they could possibly fulfill this requirement. If not, their appeal "will not be heard." If so, their appeal can be presented.

At that point, they could go to CAS. But I don’t think they will. The FIA has a way of "making sure" it never gets that far. Know what I mean? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

The one thing this will stop, though, is taking any Red Bull complaints about favoritism for Mercedes and Hamilton. They were just given the ultimate gift ruling.

Kep- one thing I forgot to mention- early in that next to last lap, when they were under the safety car, the officials announced that the lapped cars would not be let pass. So Horner complained about it. And then the officials suddenly changed their minds, and the procedure.

The announcers went through the procedure many times in the comments- if they let the lapped cars go by, the race would end under yellow, if they didn't, it would have had one green flag lap. What changed is they let some of the cars through on a late decision just for the top two cars. And by then, everyone on the planet knew it was not an even fight at all. Including the officials- they knew they handed the win to Verstappen.

Comment

Andretti Autosport has applied to the FIA for an F1 team.

Liberty Media rejoices.
              I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Andretti Autosport has applied to the FIA for an F1 team.

Liberty Media rejoices.
                It’s a long, long ways between an application and actually putting a team together. But Michael sure is committed to getting into F1.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

It’s a long, long ways between an application and actually putting a team together. But Michael sure is committed to getting into F1.
                  It sure seems that their best bet is to take over Haas. We know Gene is getting tired of spending money for these results, and Haas can't seem to get a really solid sponsorship. This year will be very key for the team staying the same name.

The cost to enter F1 as a new team is so high, I just can't fathom starting a team from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

It sure seems that their best bet is to take over Haas. We know Gene is getting tired of spending money for these results, and Haas can't seem to get a really solid sponsorship. This year will be very key for the team staying the same name.

The cost to enter F1 as a new team is so high, I just can't fathom starting a team from scratch.
                    No team is being sold because the value is way too high compared to the $200 million it takes to buy in.

With the cost caps is now significantly cheaper to start new than in the past.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

No team is being sold because the value is way too high compared to the $200 million it takes to buy in.

With the cost caps is now significantly cheaper to start new than in the past.
                      Except that it's the cost of building everything, literally everything, PLUST $200M. Way cheaper to acquire Haas.

It's one thing to design the car, it's another to build the entire infrastructure to build it.

Comment

I understand Andretti’s desire to run an F1 team but what happens IF he gets in whether it be by buying HAAS or some extraordinary luck in getting $$ to start from scratch? Does Michael believe he can stay in America while running an F1 team? Or does he go to Europe and someone else runs his Indy teams?

financially I don’t see how it makes sense to Andretti.

on another note the St. Pete Indy race was awesome!

Scott M with his first win and a very clean race and 200,000+ weekend attendance up 40% over 2019.

also, what’s this? https://youtu.be/UvWVaTXEhYs

a sponsor activating? About damn time!
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                          I understand Andretti’s desire to run an F1 team but what happens IF he gets in whether it be by buying HAAS or some extraordinary luck in getting $$ to start from scratch? Does Michael believe he can stay in America while running an F1 team? Or does he go to Europe and someone else runs his Indy teams?

on another note the St. Pete Indy race was awesome!

Scott M with his first win and a very clean race and 200,000+ weekend attendance up 40% over 2019.

also, what’s this? https://youtu.be/UvWVaTXEhYs

a sponsor activating? About damn time!
                          Given the race yesterday, shouldn't there be a new thread for 2022? Or just keep going with 2021?

I'm not really sure what Mike thinks he can get out of F1- from other boards, this really was a ground up proposal, with Renault being the powertrain supplier. But Haas just makes more sense- other than moving HQ from NC to Indy- which makes a lot of sense since open wheel racing in the US is there. I have little doubt he will follow the Haas model to minimise the unique work they would have to do.

Comment

He's not going to be the team manager.

Just like Gene Haas continues to live in the States (remember he also has NASCAR teams), occasionally showing up at races, and has Guenther Steiner run the team from Europe, Andretti will have a similar setup.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Just when F1 is getting exciting again (imo) Toto Wolff, Liberty Media and others have to ruin it.

why are they ****ing on the Indy 500 tv coverage and Andretti’s attempt to start an F1 team? Are they really that insecure?

in 3 weeks INDY will have a crowd that absolutely dwarfs the biggest crowds that either F1 or nascar can get at ANY race. Is that still bothersome to these guys?

serious question. This weekend they’re going out of their way to publicly dismiss INDYCAR.
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Just when F1 is getting exciting again (imo) Toto Wolff, Liberty Media and others have to ruin it.

why are they ****ing on the Indy 500 tv coverage and Andretti’s attempt to start an F1 team? Are they really that insecure?

in 3 weeks INDY will have a crowd that absolutely dwarfs the biggest crowds that either F1 or nascar can get at ANY race. Is that still bothersome to these guys?

serious question. This weekend they’re going out of their way to publicly dismiss INDYCAR.
                                Money.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X