Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2021, anyone there to watch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

From what I understand, DTS will pick a team to follow each weekend, which is why you end up following the middle of the pack team because that’s whose week it was. Plus at least Verstappen refuses to be on it because he doesn’t like how it’s edited.

The show itself is definitely manufactured content. Some of the criticism I’ve seen from other fans who follow the sport more intently is that the selective editing tells more of a story than there actually is, but that’s to be expected with a reality show. I’m sure Last Chance U used their film room selectively as well.

I don’t want to spoil anything, but my manufactured content comment was about the actual race itself, not the show. I don’t know how to expound further without giving it away, but it’s the closest thing I’ve seen to a fixed sporting event live.
    I've been following F1 since the early 80s, back when Rosberg was a Finnish driver who won Finland's first WC. If you know recent F1, Nico Rosberg won a WC for Mercedes- him being a German son of Keke.

Anyway, I do like DTS. Yes, there is a lot of manufactured drama, but most of that is pretty easy to see through, and you can see a lot of the real drama behind the scenes. It's kind of funny that it helped my view of Red Bull as a bunch of whiners lead by lead whiners Helmut Marko and Christian Horner. I got that back when Vettel was winning championships for them and how they managed to always blame the other driver- even if it was their own- to Seb. The bad wrap I got for Vettel has lasted his career for me.

But if you can see through the BS, the show is pretty interesting. Seeing more of a side of the racing than one would normally get. Got a lot of insight to how Haas went from a promising tiny team to a garbage dump (see Rich Energy)- and seeing their progress this season makes me want to watch 2022. I'm also interested in seeing some of the drama behind teams that everyone thought would do well this season- McLaren and Force India (or Racing Point, or Aston Martin, if you prefer). Don't know much about the Stroll clan, but what I do see (not on DTS), I really don't like them. Worse yet, I'm appalled that a person like Lawrence Stroll could have control over a marque that I have actual work history with- I worked with Aston Martin putting the V12 into the DB7- kind of relaunching the company that they are now.

It's just that all of the BS rules that ended with that debacle at the end of the season seemed so NASCAR like that I don't want to re-watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

The racing is fun. But man the intrigue and politics and flat out junior high school b1tchiness rivals The Bachelorette. That's just as much fun.

Dr. Mrs., myself, and my sister-in-law are making a date to go see the Vegas GP next November. I would greatly appreciate all advice on where to get seats and how to get the most out of the experience.
      Funny- have been to 5 F1 races- 3 at Indy- which were all great, one at Spa and one at Monza. Hope to get to Silverstone and Monaco before they get dumped based on the history. Vegas is far from our list of places to see an F1 race. I probably won't even stay up to watch it. The only way I we would consider Miami is to also go on a cruise.

Comment

Dr. Mrs. & I started watching F1: Drive to Survive from the beginning (2018 season) and we love it. We even got up early to watch the Austrian GP Sunday.
        Welcome aboard Kep!!!!

if you’re interested in the history I highly recommend the documentary Senna. Just amazing amazing stuff.

Prior to watching if you do, get pumped: https://youtu.be/9U_K76vPGYo
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
          one at Spa and one at Monza
          Wow, I am envious.

Vegas is our only choice because it's close to Phoenix while Miami and Austin are in slave states. I looked at the circuit and it seems boring, but I also know nothing.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Oh man….talk about drama and *****iness…you just had to know McLaren would bring it to INDYCAR! Now both McLaren and Ganassi are claiming Alex Palou under contract for 2023. Jesus Christ the press (and lawyers) will have a field day with this one.
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I think the biggest thing someone new to racing needs to realize when attending a race is that it's more of the social experience than the actual racing. And this applies to all forms of motorsport, not just F1 (Indycar, NASCAR, Dirt Track in Slave States, etc.). It's an entire weekend, not just something you show up an hour before the race and then expect to be on the road 45 minutes after the conclusion.

It's a pretty different mindset when compared to the stick and ball sports.
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Wow, I am envious.

Vegas is our only choice because it's close to Phoenix while Miami and Austin are in slave states. I looked at the circuit and it seems boring, but I also know nothing.
                It's odd to think about, but it was quite a while ago- Spa was 2007- when Alonso was part of McLaren, and Monza was 2010 when he was at Ferrari. Which made 2010's race pretty cool- Alonso is my wife's favorite driver, and he won at Monza- and the celebration there was pretty epic.

Time flies, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                  I think the biggest thing someone new to racing needs to realize when attending a race is that it's more of the social experience than the actual racing. And this applies to all forms of motorsport, not just F1 (Indycar, NASCAR, Dirt Track in Slave States, etc.). It's an entire weekend, not just something you show up an hour before the race and then expect to be on the road 45 minutes after the conclusion.

It's a pretty different mindset when compared to the stick and ball sports.
                  I guess that is more of a European view of sports. I'm not sure that I would really appreciate it, then, unless we latched on to a group of established fans. Even then, it's not like we are partiers -- we are all older and well-scrubbed. Though my sister-in-law is newly divorced and, it must be said, hot as a baker for a 39-year old.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I guess that is more of a European view of sports. I'm not sure that I would really appreciate it, then, unless we latched on to a group of established fans. Even then, it's not like we are partiers -- we are all older and well-scrubbed. Though my sister-in-law is newly divorced and, it must be said, hot as a baker for a 39-year old.
                    It's not partying in the sense that you think of when thinking of 21-25 year olds... Think an entire weekend of tailgating... But 4 or 5-star...

Sure, drinks are to be had... But race fans tend to go all out on food... Way more then just the usual burgers and dogs/brats... It's also set up as some place you will spend 12 hours of your 25-30 hours of your time in the venue weekend. It's pretty laid back for the most part, although some will have more beverages than they should...

There is also a lot to take in around the circuit from sponsors/presenters. It's also Vegas, so you have the whole strip at your disposal...
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

It's not partying in the sense that you think of when thinking of 21-25 year olds... Think an entire weekend of tailgating... But 4 or 5-star...

Sure, drinks are to be had... But race fans tend to go all out on food... Way more then just the usual burgers and dogs/brats... It's also set up as some place you will spend 12 hours of your 25-30 hours of your time in the venue weekend. It's pretty laid back for the most part, although some will have more beverages than they should...

There is also a lot to take in around the circuit from sponsors/presenters. It's also Vegas, so you have the whole strip at your disposal...
                      Yeah, I can confidently say none of that is my scene. Despite 50 years as an avid sports fan I have never had any interest in tailgating. Enjoyment as a function of group size n quickly decreases to zero as n increases beyond say 6.

Meh, I just save a few thousand bucks.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Yeah, I can confidently say none of that is my scene. Despite 50 years as an avid sports fan I have never had any interest in tailgating. Enjoyment as a function of group size n quickly decreases to zero as n increases beyond say 6.

Meh, I just save a few thousand bucks.
                        If you somehow find a way to get pit passes, or access to one of the teams- that's a dream I'd love to do.

Comment

Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

If you somehow find a way to get pit passes, or access to one of the teams- that's a dream I'd love to do.
                          Since those are rare tickets I wouldn't deny them to somebody who could understand and appreciate what he was seeing. I'll never be more than the most superficial of race dilettantes -- I do not deserve that kind of access.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

From what I understand, DTS will pick a team to follow each weekend, which is why you end up following the middle of the pack team because that’s whose week it was. Plus at least Verstappen refuses to be on it because he doesn’t like how it’s edited.

The show itself is definitely manufactured content. Some of the criticism I’ve seen from other fans who follow the sport more intently is that the selective editing tells more of a story than there actually is, but that’s to be expected with a reality show. I’m sure Last Chance U used their film room selectively as well.
                            I understand Max will take part in this season being filmed, but with some conditions.

He was most upset about the manufactured rivalry DTS built up between Norris and Ricciardo which just wasn't true.
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              Oh man….talk about drama and *****iness…you just had to know McLaren would bring it to INDYCAR! Now both McLaren and Ganassi are claiming Alex Palou under contract for 2023. Jesus Christ the press (and lawyers) will have a field day with this one.
                              And Zach Brown and Chip Ganassi hate each other. So, this is very personal. Which makes it all the more fun to watch from the sidelines...
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

Welcome aboard Kep!!!!

if you’re interested in the history I highly recommend the documentary Senna. Just amazing amazing stuff.

Prior to watching if you do, get pumped: https://youtu.be/9U_K76vPGYo
                                Also, the documentary "1" (a name which makes it almost impossible to search on in catalogs or movie listings...). It goes into the history of the safety of F1 and how it improved (in attitude just as much as in technology) over the years while also going through an excellent historical overview of the sport.
                                Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 07-19-2022, 04:00 PM.
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X