Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Gun-Maverick. Quite entertaining, and a lot of fun to watch- especially if you have a good memory of the original.

But I'm not really sure why it's gotten so many nominations. Especially for the story- since a great deal of it are scenes directly from the movie in 1986.

Editing for sure- the flying scenes are pretty spectacular- and I read that most are real. And the acting was in the seat of a plane doing multiple G's. Tom Cruise may be old, but he's in amazing shape. The rest of the cast must have really worked hard to survive those scenes without passing out.

Oh, and Lady Ga Ga's song is, well, Lada GaGa. Good chance of winning.

Comment

• Glad to see Everything Everywhere All At Once lead the way in Oscar noms. Loved that move. Really pulling for Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan to win for actress and supporting actor. Stephanie Hsu and Jamie Lee Curtis are both deserving of supporting actress but could split votes.

Farrell should wind for Banshees, which is also deserving of it's nominations.

I do feel like Banshees and Everything will be leading the way in wins as well.

Comment

• I love EEAAO and hope it wins. Banshee too deserves the noms

just saw triangle of sadness and was a little bummed- I often like movies that fit it’s profile but something about it for me was off. I also think Tar is a crime.

Comment

• If you are counting, that's 16 series books, 7 spinoffs books, 2 comic books, 5 movies, 4 video games, a kids' spin-off book and movie, and a "music from" soundtrack album.

When Tim LaHaye died in 2016 he was worth over $20 million.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Is that Hawk from First Contact?
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• I forgot that McDonough has the Jesus disease. Ugh.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                When Tim LaHaye died in 2016 he was worth over $20 million.
                So this guy mookie never heard of was middle class?? Big deal
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Wasn’t Kirk Cameron the star of those nut job movies?

Comment

• The Four Feathers on TCM at 2:30. No, it's not a Marx Brothers movie but a pretty good story of a man accused of cowardice.
                    A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                      The Four Feathers on TCM at 2:30. No, it's not a Marx Brothers movie but a pretty good story of a man accused of cowardice.
                      This movie is undistinguishable to me from Beau Geste.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                        I love EEAAO and hope it wins. Banshee too deserves the noms

just saw triangle of sadness and was a little bummed- I often like movies that fit it’s profile but something about it for me was off. I also think Tar is a crime.
                        In what way do you think Tar is a crime? For me, it was a hard movie to keep up on- what is real, what is fantasy- there was a lot of mix that was kind of hard to keep aware of. Like when she followed the character into the building, and then found ruins and was followed by a black dog- apparently that was all fantasy according to thinks my wife read.

I also thought Triangle of Sadness was odd- the concept and ideas were really good- putting the power to the people who do the actual work and all. But...

We just saw Blonde... kind of like Tar where it was hard to understand the transition from reality to fantasy. I thought for a while it was color vs black and white, but it wasn't. The acting was good, but I can see how it was only nominated for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

In what way do you think Tar is a crime? For me, it was a hard movie to keep up on- what is real, what is fantasy- there was a lot of mix that was kind of hard to keep aware of. Like when she followed the character into the building, and then found ruins and was followed by a black dog- apparently that was all fantasy according to thinks my wife read.

I also thought Triangle of Sadness was odd- the concept and ideas were really good- putting the power to the people who do the actual work and all. But...

We just saw Blonde... kind of like Tar where it was hard to understand the transition from reality to fantasy. I thought for a while it was color vs black and white, but it wasn't. The acting was good, but I can see how it was only nominated for that.
                          Tar has a fantastic premise and top notch cast- so I was just overall incredibly disappointed. Felt there was was too much stuff in there that wasn’t necessary- and it goes over 2.5 hours I think? I get less harsh on it the more I think but I’ll never likely watch again. But the very final scene? Just brilliant!

I also didn’t think the whale was very good the more I’ve thought about it- but again, fantastic acting - just won’t ever want to watch again

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Tar has a fantastic premise and top notch cast- so I was just overall incredibly disappointed. Felt there was was too much stuff in there that wasn’t necessary- and it goes over 2.5 hours I think? I get less harsh on it the more I think but I’ll never likely watch again. But the very final scene? Just brilliant!

I also didn’t think the whale was very good the more I’ve thought about it- but again, fantastic acting - just won’t ever want to watch again
                            My wife did watch it a second time, and she liked it a lot less then- it was really flat. I could not really bring myself to look for all of those "clues" a second time.

The Whale was hard to watch- especially seeing him. But the way Brandon was who he was, I really liked. But that was the acting.

Comment

• First class horse opera on Turner this morning, The Terror Of Tiny Town. One of the numerous highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyw8...oontownexpress

A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                                First class horse opera on Turner this morning, The Terror Of Tiny Town. One of the numerous highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyw8...oontownexpress

The greatest moment in that movie is when the hero walks into the saloon through the swinging doors... right under them.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X