No announcement yet.

Movies 52 - 1917: Sonic the Bad Boys of Prey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps I'm being obtuse and missed this part, but that doesn't seem to address how they made such a garbage film regardless of the method for release. It had absolutely none of the charm of WW and the opening sequence alone was so poorly executed I thought I was being punked. I didn't expect an exact replica in style and story but I was honestly ****ed off watching it. Even my wife said turn if off and she's far more agreeable and accepting than I am.

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

Eh. Was just an opinion. Nothing serious.

I wonder if the Avatar 2 pitch was, I'd like to make the same movie, only 30 minutes longer.
      The pitch was "The first movie made more money than any other film ever made. Would you like to make even more money?" The executives at Fox thought long and hard before deciding that, yes, they would like to make even more money.

Comment

• Even the first WW isn't quite as good as we all like to think. Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty good, but it's also helped by the other DC stuff being so bad that "pretty good" ends up feeling like "great". It's helped by the WW1 setting and the whole fish-out-of-water plot. But then WW1984 gives us a pointless 80s setting (that they also somehow never really make use of). So it's already knocked down a few pegs. Then there's just so many plot holes and issues (hey remember how in modern times she told Batman she laid low for 100 years but we see her tracking down thieves in a completely crowded mall!). Also apparently if she just jumps a little higher she can, like, fly or something; odd she didn't figure that out until now. Every bad choice they could make they did make.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Perhaps I'm being obtuse and missed this part, but that doesn't seem to address how they made such a garbage film regardless of the method for release. It had absolutely none of the charm of WW and the opening sequence alone was so poorly executed I thought I was being punked. I didn't expect an exact replica in style and story but I was honestly ****ed off watching it. Even my wife said turn if off and she's far more agreeable and accepting than I am.
          Because giving full creative control to a director is almost never a good idea.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

The pitch was "The first movie made more money than any other film ever made. Would you like to make even more money?" The executives at Fox thought long and hard before deciding that, yes, they would like to make even more money.
            Except it cost more too so that isn't true either. And you know that...
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
              Even the first WW isn't quite as good as we all like to think. Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty good, but it's also helped by the other DC stuff being so bad that "pretty good" ends up feeling like "great". It's helped by the WW1 setting and the whole fish-out-of-water plot. But then WW1984 gives us a pointless 80s setting (that they also somehow never really make use of). So it's already knocked down a few pegs. Then there's just so many plot holes and issues (hey remember how in modern times she told Batman she laid low for 100 years but we see her tracking down thieves in a completely crowded mall!). Also apparently if she just jumps a little higher she can, like, fly or something; odd she didn't figure that out until now. Every bad choice they could make they did make.
              It's better than most of the first phase Marvel dreck...all origin films are pretty basic and lame.

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Except it cost more too so that isn't true either. And you know that...
                it had already broken even after about ten days of release. Every dime after that is pure profit.

Comment

• I'm not saying it isn't profitable I am saying it might not end up MORE profitable which is what it seemed you were saying.

Tbe film was never going to lose money but that Diane mean it is performing to the levels that are expected or is as successful as its predecessor. That was my point.
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I'm not saying it isn't profitable I am saying it might not end up MORE profitable which is what it seemed you were saying.

Tbe film was never going to lose money but that Diane mean it is performing to the levels that are expected or is as successful as its predecessor. That was my point.
                    Yes, the film was probably not going to make as much money as the film that made more money than any other movie in history. However, it is still going to make an incredible amount of money, which is what executives at Fox cared about most.

Comment

• Oh of course...I don't begrudge them making the film. I think the ROI is going to continue to drop though so they might want to rethink the 4 follow ups or whatever.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

Yes, the film was probably not going to make as much money as the film that made more money than any other movie in history. However, it is still going to make an incredible amount of money, which is what executives at Fox cared about most.
                        To be fair, even in the golden age of film (1930-1959) when 90% of the greatest movies in history were made, money was still all the studio heads cared about.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Because giving full creative control to a director is almost never a good idea.
                          It's not even* a good idea when his name is Herzog, Welles, Altman, or Kubrick, so it's really not a great idea when they're not even that good.

* TBH though I'd give it to Renoir, Kurosawa, Bergman, Lang, or Bunuel.

Last edited by Kepler; 01-03-2023, 04:05 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

To be fair, even in the golden age of film (1930-1959) when 90% of the greatest movies in history were made, money was still all the studio heads cared about.
                            No, no. It was all about the art. In particular, portraits of dead presidents...

Comment

It's not even* a good idea when his name is Herzog, Welles, Altman, or Kubrick, so it's really not a great idea when they're not even that good.

* TBH though I'd give it to Renoir, Kurosawa, Bergman, Lang, or Bunuel.
                              Its true. What's funny is a lot of people whine about "studio interference" when they like a director but studios saved many of the best movies from being dismal failures.

I mean think of what Prometheus could have been if someone had told Ridley Scott "No".
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I was surprised when reading up on this and learning how much money played a part as far back as it did. I was probably naive or put it out of my had that greed could be so prevalent that early in the industry.

Comment

Working...
                                X