This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 52 - 1917: Sonic the Bad Boys of Prey

Before airing Stan and Ollie, Fox Movies channel ran a retrospective look at movies from the 90's and with '99 ending the decade on a huge bang. What a year.

With Stan and Ollie, the dancing scene from Way Out West had me laughing my *** off - what a wonderful recreation.

It wasn't a great film (a bit saccharine) but it brought back many fond memories, Reilly and Coogan nailed their roles and so it was an enjoyable watch.
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 02-18-2020, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Birds of Prey:
      Interesting way of telling the story. Flashbacks within flashbacks, fourth wall breaks, narration. Not as good as Deadpool but not bad either. It didn't go where I thought it would so I guess some credit for being different. It's a bit of a mess, but I had a good time throughout. Robbie can act in just about anything and it'll be good. Takes a while to get to the whole Birds of Prey thing. It's really Harley's story and that's OK. Save the Birds for the inevitable sequel.

You don't have to rush out to see it, but it is a good time. 7/10.

Comment

The Foreigner:

A humble businessman with a buried past seeks justice when his daughter is killed in an act of terrorism. A cat-and-mouse conflict ensues with a government official, whose past may hold clues to the killers' identities.

A one-man wrecking crew action movie. Pretty much by the numbers. It's passable, but that's about it. We have all seen it before, just in a different arena. I suppose I'd sort this as an average time-killer.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Jackie Chan man!!! How can rube bury the lede?
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            Jackie Chan man!!! How can rube bury the lede?
            I think the story was more about Pierce Brosnan's character, frankly. And there was nothing special about the movie. It didn't stand out. I love me some Jackie Chan, don't get me wrong, but they could have subbed any actors in this, and the result would have been the same.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

What other old “foreigner” woulda laid out the moves like Jackie did?
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                What other old “foreigner” woulda laid out the moves like Jackie did?
                Jet Li.

And the "moves" wouldn't even have to be martial arts. It could have just been a can of whup-arse, and then you really could have stuck anyone in that role.

Comment

Stagecoach:
                  A group of people traveling on a stagecoach find their journey complicated by the threat of Geronimo and learn something about each other in the process.

It was okay. A good afternoon-type time killer, but a step above the normal "time killer" movies. John Wayne is John Wayne light in this, not exactly the bad-arse as he was in future movies. If you like classic westerns, give it a whirl.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    Stagecoach:

It was okay.
                    You are a barbarian. Stagecoach is the greatest western ever made.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Stagecoach is the greatest western ever made.
                      Gotta agree. Although I may have been too young when I watched it to fully appreciate it, even I knew then it was good.

That, Winchester '73, and The Searchers are my top 3.
                      Last edited by aparch; 02-24-2020, 08:12 AM.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

My personal favorite westerns in alpha order:

Bad Day at Black Rock
                        Blazing Saddles
                        Breakheart Pass
                        My Darling Clementine
                        The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
                        Gunfight at OK Corral *
                        The Hateful Eight
                        High Plains Drifter
                        The Magnificent Seven *
                        The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence *
                        Once Upon a Time in the West
                        The Ox-Bow Incident
                        Stagecoach *
                        Support Your Local Sheriff
                        True Grit
                        Winchester 73

Obviously I skew towards older movies in general.

* My Rushmore.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 02-24-2020, 08:32 AM.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          You are a barbarian. Stagecoach is the greatest western ever made.
                          True Grit (original), The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and Tombstone were easily better, IMO. You also have The Good The Bad And The Ugly, The Wild Bunch, and Rio Bravo that are a step up from Stagecoach.

Edit: and a few from Keplers list in the previous post.

Comment

The Searchers is one of my failures in movies. I have tried so many times to enjoy it but for whatever reason I don't. I just do not like it.

My other one is Some Like it Hot.

I don't challenge these as among the greatest movies ever, they just don't work for me.

Oh... Seven Samurai is another one. I've actually fallen asleep watching it.
                            Cornell University

Comment

The Searchers is one of my failures in movies. I have tried so many times to enjoy it but for whatever reason I don't. I just do not like it.

I don't challenge these as among the greatest movies ever, they just don't work for me.

Who's the savage now?? I love that movie.

Comment

Some Like It Hot is one of the greatest movies of all time. Fantastic.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X