No announcement yet.

Movies 52 - 1917: Sonic the Bad Boys of Prey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another note on Promising Young woman- written and directed by one of the Killing Eve writers/show runners
    Last edited by Deutsche Gopher Fan; 01-17-2021, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Made the girlfriend watch Airplane! tonight. She hated it. I might need to move out...
      My wife hates airplane too. She's fine with Naked Gun though. So I don't know what that says about her.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

My wife hates airplane too. She's fine with Naked Gun though. So I don't know what that says about her.
        Huh. That's...

Huh.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• nice beaver
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

That is like enjoying Return of the Jedi but hating Star Wars and Empire...

Or...it would be like loving Airplane 2 but not Airplaine!. (I personally like both for different reasons)
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

That is like enjoying Return of the Jedi but hating Star Wars and Empire...

Or...it would be like loving Airplane 2 but not Airplaine!. (I personally like both for different reasons)
              She says it's because Naked Gun has an underlying plot while Airplane! is just a series of sketches. I guess, but Airplane! is still the alltime greatest comedy imo.

Comment

• I would say that series of sketches is more Kentucky Fried Movie...
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

She says it's because Naked Gun has an underlying plot while Airplane! is just a series of sketches. I guess, but Airplane! is still the alltime greatest comedy imo.
                  Oddly enough, Airplane is a serious disaster movie with almost an identical script made into a parody.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• btw I think critics savaged it but the boys and I (and my wife although she won't admit it) all thought Why Him? with Bryan Cranston and James Franco was quite funny. Even after the inevitable slow turn about 2/3 it finished up strong. It's nothing cerebral but if you laugh at films similar to Superbad I'd recommend.

Comment

• Yesterday afternoon, for the first time in more than a year, my wife and I went to a movie theater to watch a movie. Only six people in the theater, so it wasn't too bad, although getting some popcorn and something to drink was a bit of a chore.

We saw News of the World, the movie starring Tom Hanks. Hanks plays a Civil War vet in Texas who travels around to communities and reads the news to people who otherwise can't read or don't have access to outside newspapers. He comes across a young girl who had been kidnapped by a native american tribe as her family was murdered, then found herself alone when the native americans were killed. Hanks attempts to return her to her aunt and uncle in south Texas, and the movie follows their journey.

I had generally pretty low expectations going in (it was my wife's choice for a movie) but I actually liked the movie. A little slow at times, and somewhat predictable, but good nevertheless.

One thing I thought was interesting is that we saw only two previews for coming films, Nomadland, starring Frances McDormand, which I understand has received some high marks by reviewers, and Land, by Robin Wright of Princess Bride fame. Nomadland is the story of a woman, who due to economic circumstances, ends up living as a nomad in her vehicle and spends time at a nomad encapment in Arizona, I think, that actually exists. Apparently some of the nomads at this site personally appear as themselves in the movie.

Land is the story of a woman who just decides to check out of society and move off the grid. Appears there might be some sort of romance angle to it.

Both movies definitely had a dark vibe to them, which didn't bode well for the film we were about to see, but I also thought said a little bit about the times we're living in.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        My wife hated Spy Hard which was the first movie I ever took her to see. Not sure how we survived.
                        I don’t remember that one. Was it the Leslie Nielsen movie that lampooned Mission Impossible.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by st. Clown View Post

i don’t remember that one. Was it the leslie nielsen movie that lampooned mission impossible.
                          Nick Rivers!
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Finally watched WW84. At least I didn't pay to see that in a theater. Who wrote that dreck, L. Ron Hubbard?
                            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                            Originally posted by Quizmire
                            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                              Finally watched WW84. At least I didn't pay to see that in a theater. Who wrote that dreck, L. Ron Hubbard?
                              I still need to see it before it leaves (temporarily) HBOMax. This.... does not bode well. I had such high hopes.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                                Finally watched WW84. At least I didn't pay to see that in a theater. Who wrote that dreck, L. Ron Hubbard?
                                The first third of the novel Battlefield Earth is pretty good juvenilia.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X