Movies 52 - 1917: Sonic the Bad Boys of Prey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 52 - 1917: Sonic the Bad Boys of Prey

Bad Education is excellent; Jackman is a fine actor but the woman who played Gluckin (Allison Janney) stole the show.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Bad Education is excellent; Jackman is a fine actor but the woman who played Gluckin (Allison Janney) stole the show.
      Haven't seen this, but she's a good actress.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        Haven't seen this, but she's a good actress.
        I’m guessing he hasn’t seen the West Wing.

Janney is great actress. Heck, Janney is even great as the voice of Goldie O’Gilt in DuckTales.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

Janney is great actress. Heck, Janney is even great as the voice of Goldie O’Gilt in DuckTales.
          AMAZING in "I, Tonya."
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

I looked her up, she's done a ton of voice work including Robot Chicken!

I have never seen one minute of West Wing. It wasn't on purpose, I just never did.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              I looked her up, she's done a ton of voice work including Robot Chicken!

I have never seen one minute of West Wing. It wasn't on purpose, I just never did.
              She was CJ Cregg, the White House Press Secretary on the show.

She was so famous with the role Obama invited her to do the press briefing in 2016.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

You would absolutely love it.

The pilot episode is fantastic. And 20 Hours In America (Season 4, Episodes 1 & 2) is my personal favorite episode(s). Mostly because of this one scene.

But it has many gems through its seven seasons.

Although, watching it now would lead you to throw your remote through your TV because you'll wish the current administration had *half* as much talent as that show.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

My wife and I are going through West Wing for the first time. Almost done (on season 7) but it is really excellent. Drops off a bit when Sorkin leaves but still great television.
                  In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                  I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Ad Astra:
                    Astronaut Roy McBride undertakes a mission across an unforgiving solar system to uncover the truth about his missing father and his doomed expedition that now, 30 years later, threatens the universe.

Solid movie. It's all about discovery, science and self. It's not TOO science fiction-y, for those not into that. Think: Apollo movie on steroids. Or "The Martian" with Matt Damon. That sorta thing as for the sci-fi part.

Slow burn, makes you actually think about some things, including mortality and purpose of you existing. I liked it.

Comment

That movie was a waste of time. It was pretty but made zero sense for about 12k reasons. It tried so hard to be smart...oops.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        That movie was a waste of time. It was pretty but made zero sense for about 12k reasons. It tried so hard to be smart...oops.
                        There were many holes in the science, but as "Thank You For Smoking" said, "Hey, thank God for the whatever device" and problem solved. To me, it wasn't about the actual plot. It was about the characters, or specifically, Brad Pitt's character. That was what drove the movie.

Comment

His character was akin to a robot. And his arch was boring until the climax...which lasts like a minute.

I dont care about the science so much...it was the story and ending that made me hate it.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I watched two movies on Netflix last night.

The first was The Rachel Divide. This one has been around for awhile. It's the story of Rachel Dolezal (spoiler alert: she has since changed her name). Dolezal is the woman who was the head of the Spokane, WA, office of the NAACP, and was "outed" as the birth child of white parents. She defended herself by claiming she "identified" as a black woman.

I can't say the movie is great. There is certainly a voyeuristic aspect to it, because this woman and her family are a hot mess. Certainly the moral of the movie is that when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

I don't know that I'd recommend it, but I won't warn anyone away from it either. I thought it did an excellent job, through various African American talking heads interviewed, of explaining the significant objection from the African American community to her actions. But you could see, she just never seemed to get it, and kept plowing forward.

The second movie was Nobody Speak, the movie principally about the attack on the press by the ultra wealthy, but largely centered around the Hulk Hogan vs. Gawker lawsuit financed by Peter Thiel. This movie has also been around for a few years.

I was familiar with the Gawker lawsuit, although I did not remember or didn't know about the question asked of the AJ Daulerio, an editor at Gawker, in which he flippantly responded "4" when asked if there was an age cut off for a celebrity in a sex tape at which he'd refuse to publish it. A very Gawkeresque response that probably cost Gawker it's corporate life.

I actually enjoyed the portion of the movie about Sheldon Adelson's purchase of the Las Vegas Review-Journal a little more, mostly because all I really knew about the story was that Adelson had purchased the paper, and he basically ruined it (imho). I didn't know any of the behind the scenes stuff that this movie reveals.

Personally I don't think the Gawker situation and the Review-Journal situation are necessarily identical. In the Review-Journal case, Adelson basically bought the paper, an entity that covered primarily the very business in which Adelson operates, and forbade them from covering him. That is clearly a case of a wealthy individual silencing the free press.

I get that in Gawker Peter Thiel bankrolled Hogan's case because he hated Gawker and what it was saying about him. On the other hand, Gawker spent $13 million on its own defense, and only went bankrupt when they were nailed with a astronomical jury verdict. It's not like they were some schmuck relying upon a public defender to keep him out of jail. Gawker got the best defense money can buy, too. Furthermore, you can't defend the case the way that Gawker would write a blog post skewering someone. That can put people off, and it obviously did here.

But I'd certainly recommend the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

He byeat me.
                              Stryaight up.
                              Pyay that myan his myoney.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• NYET!!!

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                                He byeat me.
                                Stryaight up.
                                Pyay that myan his myoney.
                                (Don’t forget the first line )
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X