X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 52 - 1917: Sonic the Bad Boys of Prey

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    I honestly had no clue if the reviews were good or not. I dont look until after I see a film.

I can guess the reasons why this got reviewed well, and RT is part of the problem. (that is a discussion for another day)

Plenty of bad movies people hate get great reviews so it isnt a big deal or anything. This film is like the twitter version of a thriller...it is 1/4 of the whole story with a few jump scares (clickbait) in there to get your attention. I mean you dont even get enough time where you believe he is dead like 5 minutes after she finds out she goes from super happy to "ZOMG HE FAKED HIS DEATH WE GOTS TA STOP HIM!!!1!!". They should have spent more time with him terrorizing her without her figuring it out...and in way less obvious ways. For a genius this guy was a moron. And the ending...it tried so hard to be clever and "You go girl!" and while it hits the second part it fails horrendously at the first.

I have to think this was originally part of the "Monster Extended Universe" Universal was trying to put together with Tom Cruise's Mummy reboot that failed. When the Universe failed they re-purposed it and that is why the story is so disjointed.
    Probably. The Monster Universe was a good idea. Unfortunately like DC they forgot that they need actual good writing, storylines etc. I liked the Mummy better than most but it was a mess.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
      I liked the Quiet Place, but can see where that was rife for ridicule.
      Same here, it was good and tense and the minimal sound helped. I don't think it needs a sequel though.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Quiet Place was great except for:

1. Krasinski, who is inept, and
        2. The changes he and Blunt made to the script, which were stupid

It was a wonderful original idea by Woods and Beck, spoiled by the stupidity of "a piano which thinks it writes the concerto." Hopefully (presumably) it will be redone with competent acting in 20 years or so. It took 3 tries to get Maltese Falcon right.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          Probably. The Monster Universe was a good idea. Unfortunately like DC they forgot that they need actual good writing, storylines etc. I liked the Mummy better than most but it was a mess.
          No they forgot that no one wanted any of those films. Godzilla can get away with half baked stories as remakes because it has its audience...who was clamoring for a Mummy reboot?

Not everything needs to be a huge universe. (I personally am not a fan) And if you must have it let it arrive organically.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Quiet Place was great except for:

1. Krasinski, who is inept, and
            2. The changes he and Blunt made to the script, which were stupid

blah blah art school crap blah blah
            Yes, yes, we all know of your weird psycho-sexual hate for him. What were these changes?

KDR

gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
              Yes, yes, we all know of your weird psycho-sexual hate for him. What were these changes?
              I gotta admit...watching him as Jack Ryan gets me angry sometimes in a Kepler type way. Not sure why
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Am I the only one who likes Krasinski as young Jack Ryan?

I just wish it had more ties to the Alec Baldwin / Harrison Ford era Jack Ryan. But I (begrudgingly) understand the "reboot."

I swear to God though, if Krasinski NEVER utters "Next time Jack, write a goddammed memo," to himself before the series finale, I'll feel cheated.
                Last edited by aparch; 03-05-2020, 12:05 PM.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

No they forgot that no one wanted any of those films. Godzilla can get away with half baked stories as remakes because it has its audience...who was clamoring for a Mummy reboot?

Not everything needs to be a huge universe. (I personally am not a fan) And if you must have it let it arrive organically.
                  The Mummy reboot with Brendan Fraser was fantastic. It can be done. No one is stating anything has to be. What is being stated is do it right or don't do it at all.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

What were these changes?
                    Woods and Beck's original script does not have the pop out action moments, and much more it is a story about the daughter which only has the parents in as support. K rewrote the script as an ego vehicle for himself and his meh wife. Evidently Woods and Beck were Very Unhappy and on the verge of pulling out so they were mollified with full creative control on a second film (which I guess is Haunt?).

Note that Woods and Beck have nothing to do with QP2 and Krasinski has nothing to do with Haunt. It's hardly the first time a dumb actor swung his ego around and harmed something original and smart with his ineptitude. Tom Cruise does it all the time.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 03-05-2020, 12:21 PM.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The Mummy reboot with Brendan Fraser was fantastic. It can be done. No one is stating anything has to be. What is being stated is do it right or don't do it at all.
                      As a hater of both remakes and movies made since 1959, I agree. Fraser's Mummy was funny AF and really well done all around.

The sequels are a war crime.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Woods and Beck's original script does not have the pop out action moments, and much more it is a story about the daughter which only has the parents in as support. K rewrote the script as an ego vehicle for himself and his meh wife. Evidently Woods and Beck were Very Unhappy and on the verge of pulling out so they were mollified with full creative control on a second film (which I guess is Haunt?).

Note that Woods and Beck have nothing to do with QP2 and Krasinski has nothing to do with Haunt. It's hardly the first time a dumb actor swung his ego around and harmed something original and smart with his ineptitude. Tom Cruise does it all the time.
                        I could have done with less shots of the actual aliens, it would keep us the tenseness if you see them less; I don't mind "action" per se but they're better kept more hidden. I don't feel the movie lost anything, though, by having it focus on the family as a whole (ie. not an ego vehicle) but having not read the source I suppose I have no real comparison.

KDR

Comment

I could have done with less shots of the actual aliens, it would keep us the tenseness if you see them less; I don't mind "action" per se but they're better kept more hidden. I don't feel the movie lost anything, though, by having it focus on the family as a whole (ie. not an ego vehicle) but having not read the source I suppose I have no real comparison.
                          And to be fair I haven't read it either, and my general loathing of Krasinski doesn't help.

Anyway, it's not like I broke down the doors to see Haunt.

I don't know whether the "silent birth" scene was W&B or K but it is without a doubt the dumbest scene of any movie I have ever seen, edging out this.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 03-05-2020, 12:36 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

They should have just left it alone. When the project was announced no one wanted it. More people wanted another Brendan Frasier one and the last one bombed hard if I remember correctly. (I love the first one) Those movies are great, but rebooting them isnt going to get you a Universe. (Start with another monster first and see if people even care)
                            Last edited by Handyman; 03-05-2020, 12:41 PM.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Am I the only one who likes Krasinski as young Jack Ryan?

I just wish it had more ties to the Alec Baldwin / Harrison Ford era Jack Ryan. But I (begrudgingly) understand the "reboot."

I swear to God though, if Krasinski NEVER utters "Next time Jack, write a goddammed memo," to himself before the series finale, I'll feel cheated.
                              I dont mind it...I just think it is ok. The second season had one of the dumbest stories ever though that isnt his fault.

I dunno he just seems so...off. Like you are supposed to believe he is an analyst but he is also buff like a superhero and great at tactical response. Alec Baldwin looked like a guy who wrote books for the CIA. Harrison Ford looked like a career State Department analyst. Krasinski looks like Jim Halpert on Roids trying to pretend he is meek Jim Halpert.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

They should have just left it alone. When the project was announced no one wanted it. More people wanted another Brendan Frasier one and the last one bombed hard if I remember correctly. (I love the first one) Those movies are great, but rebooting them isnt going to get you a Universe. (Start with another monster first and see if people even care)
                                Of the Fraser ones they're all bad sans the first one. But the first one was great. I'm not sure who this no one is that you're talking about. I was intrigued. I couldn't have been the only one.

Comment

Working...
                                X