Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL 2019-20: The Patriots Are A Terrible 11-3 Team!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

And the OPI missed call was somewhat just based on how it occurred. The only official that had a chance at a good line of sight on it was the back judge, and depending on who his primary responsibility was before the pass, he may not have been in great position to see it either. The side judge who was closest wouldn't have seen it without xray vision, and ditto the line judge behind the play.
    Not sure how it was just missed like that, the receiver reached back and forward, defender goes the direction of his arms, then he reaches back catches the ball and runs. With the defender on the ground. It wasn't as if he just lost his footing. The addition of his head turning around in an unnatural direction was just icing on the cake.

There were more than the one ref on the field, and more than one could have called that.

In the end, it was good that the missed call didn't win the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Not sure how it was just missed like that, the receiver reached back and forward, defender goes the direction of his arms, then he reaches back catches the ball and runs. With the defender on the ground. It wasn't as if he just lost his footing. The addition of his head turning around in an unnatural direction was just icing on the cake.

There were more than the one ref on the field, and more than one could have called that.

In the end, it was good that the missed call didn't win the game.
      ... you can't call a penalty you don't see. As I explained, given the way it occurred, only 1 official could've reasonably been expected to see the tug on the face mask - the back judge. And he's on the far hashmarks looking over his shoulder. You can argue he should've been closer, but my guess is his primary duty prior to the pass was to watch for holding on the guy cutting across the middle going towards the far side.

The side judge was in decent position but couldn't have seen the face mask since the receiver's body was in the way. The line judge was 30 yards behind the play and no way he sees it. The side judge on the far side had 5 people between him and the ball, and again he had other primary responsibilities to be looking at.
      Last edited by unofan; 02-14-2022, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• OBJ with a torn ACL.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Pretty much all major sporting events are geared towards the TV audiences these days, the live crowd is just a prop for the tv broadcast. I've been saying for years at some point they'll finally cross the line and people will stop going to live sports.
          Many years ago, Bernie Ecclestone, who was the Boss (with a capital "B") of Formula 1, said his dream event was nobody showing up in person while having the whole world watch the race on TV.

He knew the live audience wasn't where the money was. It was the TV audience that brought in the real money.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Many years ago, Bernie Ecclestone, who was the Boss (with a capital "B") of Formula 1, said his dream event was nobody showing up in person while having the whole world watch the race on TV.

He knew the live audience wasn't where the money was. It was the TV audience that brought in the real money.
            MLB is almost there.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
              OBJ with a torn ACL.
              Out for the remainder of the season.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

... you can't call a penalty you don't see. As I explained, given the way it occurred, only 1 official could've reasonably been expected to see the tug on the face mask - the back judge. And he's on the far hashmarks looking over his shoulder. You can argue he should've been closer, but my guess is his primary duty prior to the pass was to watch for holding on the guy cutting across the middle going towards the far side.

The side judge was in decent position but couldn't have seen the face mask since the receiver's body was in the way. The line judge was 30 yards behind the play and no way he sees it. The side judge on the far side had 5 people between him and the ball, and again he had other primary responsibilities to be looking at.
                It was still OPI. Missed or not, it was pretty darned obvious that something was up when the best 1:1 defender went down like that. Maybe I have different expectations, but this was the ONLY NFL game played Sunday, right? So they could put the best of the best refs in place? Meaning that there were multiple eyes that should have seen the play.

As far as I am concerned, the questionable holding call was fine because of that. The missed call gave Cincy 6 points, the Rams still had to put the ball into the end zone- so Cincy still had a chance to prevent that.

Comment

Why don’t they just review scoring plays for potential penalties by the offense? If ****ing soccer can do it then surely the NFL can right?
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                    Why don’t they just review scoring plays for potential penalties by the offense? If ****ing soccer can do it then surely the NFL can right?
                    Because no one wants to watch a 5-hour game?

While my interest in football was already waining, I will forever remember a Colorado-Kansas game in Boulder and at least 3 times there was a clear touchdown, like patently obvious, and they stopped the game for a review just to confirm nothing happened. I left at the end of the 3rd quarter and it was already well over 3:30 hours since kickoff. Review in football already makes the games tedious, I can't imagine adding in that many more.

If they want to add the ability to challenge penalty calls/non-calls, I'm fine with that.

Comment

• They should have review... but keep the clock running.

I've always thought football should just run the clock from opening kickoff. 60 minutes game time, 60 minutes run time.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

MLB is almost there.
                        People watch that boring crap on TV??
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

People watch that boring crap on TV??
                          Fair point.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• How exciting for all of the Rams' fan: https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...-bowl/2825390/

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Aaron Rogan resigns with GB, 4 yrs $200 mil; $153 mil guaranteed.
                              A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                                Aaron Rogan resigns with GB, 4 yrs $200 mil; $153 mil guaranteed.
                                Bad for Chicago. Good for the NFL elite- as I don't see a path where GB actually competes for a SB. Blowing the entire budget on one guy makes it impossible to assemble a total team.

Comment

Working...
                                X