Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL 2019-20: The Patriots Are A Terrible 11-3 Team!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

    If they get to year 5, they win. That should be pretty obvious. If there's a year 10, then there may be real discussions to tie to the NFL.

    Again, even if I'm underestimating by 100%, it's still a long way from $1,000,000,000. And if the player salaries are as low as reported, I'm really not sure how you come close to $100M in just expenses- there's not enough salary between the players and other people + Travel to get near $100M right now.

    Also, if it gets anywhere NEAR the expenses as one super star NFL player for each team, that would be a massive win. Anywhere near your expectations would have to be a massive win, as it will take some time to add up $100M of total expenses.

    I can even add charter plane fights to and from each location with 5 hour fights at 50k/hour- or @250k/flight, $2M per weekend for all teams, $20M for the entire league season, that still leave $30M for all of the rest of the expenses. Which none of that will be needed for season one. Let alone a high estimate due to ~$30K/hr for a 737 (which is too big for a USFL team of 35) and the tiny issue that the teams are all WAY closer than a 5 hour flight apart from each other.

    How about coming up with some alternative numbers instead of just saying I'm under estimating it? This is a $45k average salary league with 35 players. There's not much there to add up. My estimated salary was 30% higher than that, and then rounded up to $20M. For year 2, the $20M flight estimate is way to high, which leave $10M for the stadium.

    Are you really worried that this will take eyes off of soccer or something? Not sure why you care if billionaires spend money like this. If it gives a chance to good college FB players when we see some real losers in the NFL, seems like an overall win.
    Because you’re assuming my “$1 billion” number was only the upfront cost. My one billion number is a long term number, like the total at year 10. That’s the thing where most people balk at. If people want to make money in this venture, that’s how much time and money it’s going to take.

    Also, you assume costs are going to be static the entire. Player salaries aren’t going to stay at $4500 a week the entire time, the season isn’t going to stay at 10 games the entire time, and the league can’t stay at 8 teams the entire time.

    And once they move out of their “bubble” set up and into host cities their costs are going to increase greatly with nearly no revenue. Even at five games you’re looking at $5-10 a year just in stadium costs alone, and that’s only likely on any cheap deal. You start adding in practice facilities and office space and it only gets worse.

    For me, I just don’t see the point of it, for anyone. The likelihood of ownership making money is slim. The players have to spend months destroying their bodies for $4500 a week, and realistically they’re only taking home maybe $10-15k of that. The coaches I guess get a check and maybe a shot at something else. It’s all just wasteful to me, especially since it’s tried so many times before. Tax these fuckers so this stupid s- doesn’t keep popping up.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

    Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

    Comment


    • Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

      Clearly, to dominate the MLS.... That's the plan.
      You’re the one bringing this up, not me. Spring football has zero bearing on MLS.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

      Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        Because you’re assuming my “$1 billion” number was only the upfront cost. My one billion number is a long term number, like the total at year 10. That’s the thing where most people balk at. If people want to make money in this venture, that’s how much time and money it’s going to take.

        Also, you assume costs are going to be static the entire. Player salaries aren’t going to stay at $4500 a week the entire time, the season isn’t going to stay at 10 games the entire time, and the league can’t stay at 8 teams the entire time.
        If they get to year 10, they win. The AFL ran that long then it merged with the NFL. So by then, the cost/expense/profit thing will be worked out pretty darned well.

        And for the purposes of survival of the league, the costs will be relatively static- we are talking 3 years max- the original USFL closed after 3 seasons when it was proposed to move to the fall.

        The only way that salaries expand before closing is if everything is working out.

        Given all of the failures of spring football, it will never get to the point of $1B in losses.

        So, yes, expenses/salaries will be pretty static until they have some success. There won't be additional teams until there's success.

        This isn't that complicated.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          You’re the one bringing this up, not me. Spring football has zero bearing on MLS.
          someone pee-ed into your cheerios. Just thinking it was about your sport.

          Given the number of billionaires in the US alone, there it plenty of money out there to run up billions of expenses these days for the sake of saying you have a pro-football team. Which is what drove dumpy into the USFL.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

            If they get to year 10, they win. The AFL ran that long then it merged with the NFL. So by then, the cost/expense/profit thing will be worked out pretty darned well.

            And for the purposes of survival of the league, the costs will be relatively static- we are talking 3 years max- the original USFL closed after 3 seasons when it was proposed to move to the fall.

            The only way that salaries expand before closing is if everything is working out.

            Given all of the failures of spring football, it will never get to the point of $1B in losses.

            So, yes, expenses/salaries will be pretty static until they have some success. There won't be additional teams until there's success.

            This isn't that complicated.
            The NFL isn't going to merge with anyone. Adding teams just takes away their ability to extort cities for stadium funding. They might add teams in Europe one day but even that's a stretch. So if the whole point of starting a spring football league is to force a merger, well the idea is even dumber than I thought. And the NFL already had the most successful spring league ever in NFL Europe and even that folded after losing $30 million a year for ten years.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

            Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              The NFL isn't going to merge with anyone. Adding teams just takes away their ability to extort cities for stadium funding. They might add teams in Europe one day but even that's a stretch. So if the whole point of starting a spring football league is to force a merger, well the idea is even dumber than I thought. And the NFL already had the most successful spring league ever in NFL Europe and even that folded after losing $30 million a year for ten years.
              Uh, never said they were going to merge. You bring up a long term "problem" and I contend that if they get to $1B in expenses, the league will be winning. 5 years would be winning. 10 years would be exceptional. 10 years is how long the AFL lasted until it became the AFC, 3 years is how long the original USFL lasted- and it had astronomical salaries, none of the most recent spring leagues ever got close to that. So just getting to $1B in expenses would mean that the league would be on a path that is probably more sustainable than the original USFL, and maybe as staying (and interesting) as the AFL was.

              Heck the freaking Arena Football League has been mostly on and (now) off since the 80s. And I'd bet that outdoor spring football will be more popular than that.

              Your making a bar that if they can even chin up to, it would be pretty epic.

              The USFL and XFL have to be focused on very short term survival. If they get past that, it will be a win.
              Last edited by MichVandal; 04-13-2022, 02:48 PM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by French Rage View Post

                Like, how? No one ever really made use of the new rules. It was just mediocre spring football.
                Receivers only needed one foot in bounds
                College football OT rules
                There were others I can't remember. I thought the coinflip rules were fun back then but whatever.

                There were also the experience changes
                They pioneered the over-the-field cam
                I liked that they had nicknames on the back

                **** was way more fun in that respect
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                Comment


                • Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

                  One thing that was nice- none of the players were primadonnas. The pay wasn't high enough. Which also meant that some even knew this was their only chance. So it was kinda like college football vs. NFL. And it didn't take itself so serious to not have any fun. Unlike the NoFunLeague.
                  THis too, but can't fix that in the NFL :-)
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                  Comment


                  • A $billion? Shiiiiit - Musk wastes more than that on tweets before breakfast.

                    A million seconds is 11.5 days. A billion seconds is 31.7 years. A trillion seconds is 317 *centuries*. US billionaires are hoarding $3T. A new football league is exactly like an expansion NCAA team - just takes the right sponsor.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                      A $billion? Shiiiiit - Musk wastes more than that on tweets before breakfast.

                      A million seconds is 11.5 days. A billion seconds is 31.7 years. A trillion seconds is 317 *centuries*. US billionaires are hoarding $3T. A new football league is exactly like an expansion NCAA team - just takes the right sponsor.
                      Median American wealth is the height of the ridge of a Toblerone bar.

                      Jeff Bezos' wealth is the height of Mount Everest. Five times.

                      Eat the rich.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                      Comment


                      • The arguments that this time they surely won't fail come off a lot like wishful thinking.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          The arguments that this time they surely won't fail come off a lot like wishful thinking.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc4IFIXcDcs
                          A bad cause requires many words.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            The arguments that this time they surely won't fail come off a lot like wishful thinking.
                            For me, it's not so much will they fail- the odds are quite high that they will. But if they manage to lose $1B, that would either mean someone embezzled a lot of money or they were around for a lot longer than anyone projected they would be. And to complain that this is some kind of colossal waste of money- this is going to pay a few hundred people a decent salary in a country were burning $1B to put back into the economy would be a great thing.

                            Essentially, why are people so upset about this?

                            We really NEED billionaires to put money back into the economy, and in this method, at least people are going to be entertained.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                              Median American wealth is the height of the ridge of a Toblerone bar.

                              Jeff Bezos' wealth is the height of Mount Everest. Five times.

                              Eat the rich.
                              Yeah but one of those airport toblerones, right?
                              the state of hockey is good

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

                                For me, it's not so much will they fail- the odds are quite high that they will. But if they manage to lose $1B, that would either mean someone embezzled a lot of money or they were around for a lot longer than anyone projected they would be. And to complain that this is some kind of colossal waste of money- this is going to pay a few hundred people a decent salary in a country were burning $1B to put back into the economy would be a great thing.

                                Essentially, why are people so upset about this?

                                We really NEED billionaires to put money back into the economy, and in this method, at least people are going to be entertained.
                                I can think of a lot better ways to inject $1B into the economy than trying to start another professional football league. I'm also not upset about it - more like amused.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X