Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 19-20: Where We Kinda Want Clemson As Champion.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

12 is a way to bridge to 16.

I wish they had just gone to 16.
    My assumption is that they’re assuming that the top 4 will be power conferences, but some of the unwashed masses (UCF, Boise, etc) might sneak into slots 5-8. So they wanted to make it look like they were opening up while still favoring 1-4 to the greatest extent possible.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

My assumption is that they’re assuming that the top 4 will be power conferences, but some of the unwashed masses (UCF, Boise, etc) might sneak into slots 5-8. So they wanted to make it look like they were opening up while still favoring 1-4 to the greatest extent possible.
      Exactly. 8 teams would give us the Power 5 champs and then they'd have to give 2 or 3 spots to the overlooked conferences to not totally seem like dicks, with 1 or 2 left for at-large. Bah, not enough good money there. Open up another 4 and now Texas or Auburn or Florida or FSU or Michigan can still bring in their fanbases even if they drop 3 or so games.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Here are the top 16 in 2019 (2020 was so weird I'm ignoring it):

1 LSU 13-0
        2 Ohio State 13-0
        3 Clemson 13-0
        4 Oklahoma 12-1
        5 Georgia 11-2
        6 Oregon 11-2
        7 Baylor 11-2
        8 Wisconsin 10-3
        9 Florida 10-2
        10 Penn State 10-2
        11 Utah 11-2
        12 Auburn 9-3
        13 Alabama 10-2
        14 Michigan 9-3
        15 Notre Dame 10-2
        16 Iowa 9-3
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• I wonder if this will disincentivise conference title games. If you have say the 1-4 and the 9-12 play, you risk knocking out a team with no gain.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

12 is a way to bridge to 16.

I wish they had just gone to 16.
            Gross. 12 sucks. 16 sucks even more.

you don't get a claim to national title at 16. It's not how it should work.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Genuinely confused by this sentiment. What’s wrong with 16?

Comment

• The University Presidents that give zero farks about sportsball are really going to okay a 17 game season that extends into early February?
                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Every other division has at least a 16 team playoff...why can't the FBS?
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                  Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                  Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                    The University Presidents that give zero farks about sportsball are really going to okay a 17 game season that extends into early February?
                    The University Presidents that give zero farks about sportsball are all in FCS and D-3.
                    Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post

Every other division has at least a 16 team playoff...why can't the FBS?
                      Let's just expand it to 128 then
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• That actually would be kind of cool. Every FBS team in a single elimination tournament. Hell, since it's only 6 rounds, do two each year.

Sure, no one outside of TV makes money, but who cares!
                        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Let's just expand it to 128 then
                          I don’t get it. The only people who should be upset by expansion are teams who have a reasonable expectation of perennially being in the top 4 - Bama, Clemson, and maybe OSU? They would have to win 3 games instead of 2, so their chances at a national championship goes down a bit. For every other team, their chances of a national title go up astronomically - from basically zero to “so you’re saying there’s a chance!” Unless you’re a closet Tide or Tiger fan, expansion should be a good thing.

Comment

I don’t get it. The only people who should be upset by expansion are teams who have a reasonable expectation of perennially being in the top 4 - Bama, Clemson, and maybe OSU? They would have to win 3 games instead of 2, so their chances at a national championship goes down a bit. For every other team, their chances of a national title go up astronomically - from basically zero to “so you’re saying there’s a chance!” Unless you’re a closet Tide or Tiger fan, expansion should be a good thing.
                            I don't think the gophers will ever be eligible. And I don't think anything beyond the top four are necessary.

I'm not saying expanding is wrong. I just don't like it.
                            Code:

Comment

I don't think anyone has a problem with more teams, it's just 8 seemed so much more logical. Or 16. 12 with the byes just seems like a funny way to go but hey I'll take it over 4, don't get me wrong.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• When they went to 4, I don't think they thought it would immediately become the Tiger/Tide Invitational, made even easier by everyone having free transfers where the most talented players go to Clemson/Alabama/Ohio State. The 2011 SEC Championship, er BCS Title game accelerated the playoff because no one outside the SEC watched the game and 2020 OSU-Alabama was the lowest rated title game in 23 years, thus the talk about playoff expansion. I doubt there's an easy way to fix it, since they'll end up with the same few teams in the semis anyway.
                                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X