Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 19-20: Where We Kinda Want Clemson As Champion.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

So the check cleared?
    Translation:

"F-ck you. F-ck your kid. This is a business."
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• These will be the same people in the class action lawsuit in 20 years when the same players develop lung and heart problems due to complications of Covid-19.
      Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco View Post
        These will be the same people in the class action lawsuit in 20 years when the same players develop lung and heart problems due to complications of Covid-19.
        After trying to treat it with prayer.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco View Post
          These will be the same people in the class action lawsuit in 20 years when the same players develop lung and heart problems due to complications of Covid-19.
          +keplers post which won’t quote.

That’s exactly how this will play out.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Translation:

"F-ck you. F-ck your kid. This is a business."
            Actually they are saying "F-ck MY kid". That is the parents saying that...

The players want the right to make the decision themselves. They say if they are allowed to opt out they should be allowed to opt in. I cant argue that logic...

Let them sign their life away if that is what they want. They are on record saying they think the schools are doing enough to keep them safe...so there will be no lawsuit.

Sounds like the Big Ten is already chickening out...

Well the good thing that will come out of this is the conferences, the NCAA and the coaches are about to lose all the leverage they had. P5 football will unionize. The players DGAF anymore and if they force the season they will prove they have all the power. Collective bargaining will be next. (which I support)

Ironic the thing that will probably get the players what they want (and deserve) is them throwing a hissy fit because the schools actually are trying to keep them safe :-o
            Last edited by Handyman; 08-09-2020, 10:07 PM.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• You can’t argue that logic?

You absolutely can. There are other people involved and they have just as much right to say no. And if the organization sponsoring the event says no, who the **** are these brats to say everyone else should sacrifice for them? If you want to play so bad, fine. Go play in a league that doesn’t care about your safety and would throw you into a volcano if it would make them money.

There are lots of people hurting during this pandemic. Your stupid football game is worth almost nothing even in normal times.

Go to school. For free. Sans concussions for a year. This is an opportunity to receive without giving anything in return. Paid furloughs don’t come along often.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• It is reasonable to expect the parents of players to want their child to play. If you go to (insert big time college football team) and have NFL aspirations then having a season cancelled has a terrible domino effect to their career path. Too many questions for the player and their family. Does the NFL draft happen? How does it effect my child if it does/n't? Will there be a glut of players in my child's draft class? For many families these players are the golden goose. With the short lifespan (playing time) of an NFL player, any delay is unacceptable. So I do understand why these families would be willing to throw their child into the volcano. The player is willingly leaping into it too. These men don't think anything bad will happen to them. And for the majority of them, that's likely true. For now. Until more data is collected about long term complications with the disease.

The question is what about those players that aren't going to the NFL? It is pretty clear that the rest of the NCAA has decided it isn't worth it. The MAC, Div II, Div III have all decided that it isn't worth the cost. I fully support them. It isn't worth the cost. These athletic departments do not have the money to handle the testing needed, or the lawsuits should the worst happen.

For the P5 universities it is simple math. Does the income from the athletic department/donating alums/student recruitment outweigh the cost of lawsuits and bad PR should the worst happen? I don't know the answer to that one.
                Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  The players want the right to make the decision themselves. They say if they are allowed to opt out they should be allowed to opt in. I cant argue that logic...
                  I can. They're kids. They're jocks so they're dumb kids. The universities have a responsibility to act in loco parentis whether they want to acknowledge it or not. For public schools, we the citizens have that responsibility.

If the parents say play then the state needs to step in and actively say "no," by the same power and motivation behind all public health regulation. That trumps the parents, who at least have some standing to make decisions.

The kids have no standing. They're imbeciles. We have to suck it up and deny ourselves our bullsh-t entertainment and save their lives.
                  Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I can. They're kids. They're jocks so they're dumb kids. The universities have a responsibility to act in loco parentis whether they want to acknowledge it or not. For public schools, we the citizens have that responsibility.

If the parents say play then the state needs to step in and actively say "no," by the same power and motivation behind all public health regulation. That trumps the parents, who at least have some standing to make decisions.

The kids have no standing. They're imbeciles. We have to suck it up and deny ourselves our bullsh-t entertainment and save their lives.
                    Aren't college "kids" adults, with the legal right to vote, to get married, join the army, etc...? So long as they vote D for you, they should be seen, not heard?
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• @Brett_McMurphy
                      Dan Patrick reports Big Ten had internal vote & by 12-2 margin, league members opted on not having a fall football season. Nebraska & Iowa were only schools that voted to play this fall,
                      @dpshow
                      said. Patrick said Big Ten & Pac-12 would cancel fall seasons Tuesday
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                        @Brett_McMurphy
                        Dan Patrick reports Big Ten had internal vote & by 12-2 margin, league members opted on not having a fall football season. Nebraska & Iowa were only schools that voted to play this fall,
                        @dpshow
                        said. Patrick said Big Ten & Pac-12 would cancel fall seasons Tuesday
                        I knew Nebraska would vote to play. The university cares about football above all else, including academics (thankfully UNMC is treated as a separate entity and is isolated from that). Kinda shocked Iowa did too.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

I knew Nebraska would vote to play. The university cares about football above all else, including academics (thankfully UNMC is treated as a separate entity and is isolated from that). Kinda shocked Iowa did too.
                          I suppose there’s a reason Nebraska had their AAU accreditation yanked.

I’m actually shocked more didn’t vote yes. Then again, this was the school presidents voting right? Then that vote would make more sense. Glad we don’t let the AD run the universities north of the Mason-Dixon.
                          Code:

Comment

• My favorite part of this is that people are calling for Nebraska and Iowa to join the Big 12.

Iowa wouldn't leave in a million years. They know where their corn is buttered. Nebraska OTOH...
                            Last edited by dxmnkd316; 08-10-2020, 10:09 AM.
                            Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Glad we don't let the AD run the universities north of the Mason-Dixon.
                              Don't kid yourself. At plenty of those schools if it isn't the AD it is the head football coach. Even though they reportedly voted overwhelmingly to cancel, I am still waiting for the actual announcement. Until that comes, I assume the B1G is still planning on trying to play.

Football players/coaches/fans/families are in a world by themselves. The cult-like devotion is scary sometimes. Outside of South Bend last week the local large high school football factory had a kid test positive on Thursday. The coaches and AD did not bother to inform the Superintendent and scheduled practice as normal on Friday. They eventually contacted parents and said the positive kid was isolated and all was well but practice was now "optional." Yeah right, optional. No high school kid who doesn't want to be ostracized by the rest of the group is going to miss an "optional" football practice unless he is dead, or maybe if he is dying. The Superintendent hit the roof, said the athletic department was irresponsible and cancelled all football activity. But within hours parents had pushed their kids into protesting and a #LetUsPlay movement sprung up. Football won of course, and practice will continue today.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                You can’t argue that logic?

You absolutely can. There are other people involved and they have just as much right to say no. And if the organization sponsoring the event says no, who the **** are these brats to say everyone else should sacrifice for them? If you want to play so bad, fine. Go play in a league that doesn’t care about your safety and would throw you into a volcano if it would make them money.

There are lots of people hurting during this pandemic. Your stupid football game is worth almost nothing even in normal times.

Go to school. For free. Sans concussions for a year. This is an opportunity to receive without giving anything in return. Paid furloughs don’t come along often.
                                Students have legal rights too. In Loco Parentis is dealt with differently in college than it is in lower grades. These are adults...you might think they are dumb kids but if they werent in college they could make the choice to work so why should being enrolled at a college change that?

The players think the schools are making them safe. The players feel it is better to be there than at home. Some of the players have suggested lockdowns and on campus bubbles. (I would assume they would take most classes online) If you keep the rules strict enough it can work...they wont but in theory stuff like that can work.

Personally I think they are nuts, but they want the right to decide for themselves. Lets be honest there wont be Spring Football either most likely so a lot of players are gonna be forced to "retire" because of this. The vaccine isnt going to be ready and the winter is expected to grow this thing in very bad ways. Even if they do play in the Spring no first or second round pick will play. No matter what this season is a joke so better not to play it. That doesnt change the fact though that right now is the best chance the Players have to finally change up the stupid system that is in place. (which is cracking at the seams anyways) So I say let them fight...they cant win. (it is at the school's discretion to field a team and the NCAA's/conference's to sanction games) But if they are all on the same page that is step one to a Union. (which I 100% support) If the players take all the risk they should have a voice in the discussion in all aspects of the sport. In this case though the chances they arent putting others at risk is <.00000000001% so they should not play.

dx,

Dont kid yourself...the NCAA isnt doing this for players safety (I was joking when I said that) they are doing it to mitigate lawsuits. The NCAA has not and does not care about the safety of its players.

You and I are arguing two different things but ultimately want the same thing. (no season) Your points are all valid and dont contradict mine. I am saying the Players should have a say in the decision. Not THE say but A say. They should be able to state their case before the powers that be decide. Their voice wont matter but it should be heard. That is the logic I cant disagree with.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X