Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 19-20: Where We Kinda Want Clemson As Champion.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

    They already have Ohio State.
    I like to make that joke too- more of a reply to "I went to OSU" is "I'm sorry, I'll speak slower"

    (but in practice, I would hire an OSU engineer in a heartbeat- they are one of a handful of universities in this country who has a no-limit annual research grant from my company.)

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

      I think college hockey is wonderful but it would be nice if the athletes actually attended classes and were functionally capable of gaining entry on their academic merit.

      And before anybody whines about Ivy Elitism we've had plenty of door stops too.
      The majority of college athletes never make a penny from their sport once they leave college. I knew more than a handful of athletes that were real students. Some even went to med school believe it or not.

      Comment


      • There's virtually no chance KU ends up in the Big Ten. Only one school in the XII qualifies and it's Texas. Mizzou would also qualify I suppose.

        edit: apparently mizzou isn't aau? I thought they were.

        edit 2: I was right. They are. Apparently isu is too??
        Last edited by dxmnkd316; 07-24-2021, 10:20 AM.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

        Comment


        • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          There's virtually no chance KU ends up in the Big Ten. Only one school in the XII qualifies and it's Texas. Mizzou would also qualify I suppose.

          edit: apparently mizzou isn't aau? I thought they were.

          edit 2: I was right. They are. Apparently isu is too??
          Mizzou is. But they aren't in the Big XII.

          If you're looking at AAU P5 schools to add and only look at schools within the Big Ten map, or that would be contiguous to the Big Ten map if added, you get:

          ACC: Pitt, Virginia
          Big XII: Iowa State, Kansas
          SEC: Mizzou

          And then I always assume Notre Dame is an exception to the AAU rule/guideline.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

          1966, 1986, 2007

          Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

          Comment


          • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            There's virtually no chance KU ends up in the Big Ten. Only one school in the XII qualifies and it's Texas. Mizzou would also qualify I suppose.

            edit: apparently mizzou isn't aau? I thought they were.

            edit 2: I was right. They are. Apparently isu is too??
            The AAU thing will be ignored for the school they want. The old rules no longer apply.

            No ACC school is coming their deal runs through the mid 2030s.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

            "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

            Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

            Comment


            • cripes. I forgot Mizzou went to the sec
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Handyman View Post

                The AAU thing will be ignored for the school they want. The old rules no longer apply.

                No ACC school is coming their deal runs through the mid 2030s.
                I agree with this- Nebraska was taken, for crying out loud. The CIC died in 2016 (which I was not aware of) and is now the Big Ten Academic Alliance- and I'm sure the standards have changed.

                That being said- if just AAU schools joined, I honestly don't think it would matter much to the old CIC members- as they have had the research and information sharing alliance for so long that the economics of that are very long standing. So I see it more as a win to schools like KU and ISU than a real loss to the B1G. Remember, across the board in the Big 10, research outguns athletics by about $10x. It's fun to see the SEC scramble after hundreds of millions for athletics when the B1G is working in the billions for research (I'm quite sure Michigan's research budget still exceeds $1B by quite a way).

                Comment


                • disagree About aau not mattering. Nebraska was an AAU member when they joined. It matters.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    disagree About aau not mattering. Nebraska was an AAU member when they joined. It matters.
                    More that just AAU will be accepted- Nebraska was. But being full former CIC isn't required anymore. So KU and ISU would be fine for the B1G. In theory.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

                      More that just AAU will be accepted- Nebraska was. But being full former CIC isn't required anymore. So KU and ISU would be fine for the B1G. In theory.
                      Am I misunderstanding this? CIC/BTAA is only for Big Ten schools. You’re either in the Big Ten and the BTAA or you’re in neither.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

                      1966, 1986, 2007

                      Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

                        Am I misunderstanding this? CIC/BTAA is only for Big Ten schools. You’re either in the Big Ten and the BTAA or you’re in neither.
                        Maybe I miss wrote that- being fully qualified for the old CIC is no longer required. The BTAA has and probably will accept AAU qualifications. So KU and ISU would meet the basic requirements for the BTAA, and thus the B1G.

                        And as your your latter part- Chicago was a member of the CIC, but not of the BTAA- which is kinda weak to me. They are a collaborator, at least- which should go on for a while considering how much of the research programs are intertwined in the CIC/BTAA have been and are.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          disagree About aau not mattering. Nebraska was an AAU member when they joined. It matters.
                          It won't anymore. Behind the scenes they have been courting non AAU members for this very scenario since the last time the Big XII almost imploded. It is not even really a secret. This isn't even the first time Kansas has been rumored...

                          The academic side of this is losing the war. The Big Ten is not going to stick to their guns in the new reality. Past examples no longer apply.

                          The NCAA is dead and the idea of the student part of student athlete is dying with it in the money sports. Adding the KC market (and Kansas Basketball) matters more than the Big Tens academic ego now.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

                          "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

                          Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Handyman View Post

                            It won't anymore. Behind the scenes they have been courting non AAU members for this very scenario since the last time the Big XII almost imploded. It is not even really a secret. This isn't even the first time Kansas has been rumored...

                            The academic side of this is losing the war. The Big Ten is not going to stick to their guns in the new reality. Past examples no longer apply.

                            The NCAA is dead and the idea of the student part of student athlete is dying with it in the money sports. Adding the KC market (and Kansas Basketball) matters more than the Big Tens academic ego now.
                            I would not say academics is losing- that and the research still dominates massively over athletics. It's more the perception of academics is a little more realistic. But at the same time, I don't see the former CIC members going all out to support the new BTAA members.

                            Go look at the budgets- the KC market matters to BTN, sure. But it's a small research project in Michigan engineering. (and for every single other former CIC school, other than Indiana, you can put in their name into that).

                            Comment


                            • At some point we need to realize that college athletics is a vocational addition with University flavoring.
                              Let's Go Broncos!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

                                His statement says he's not taking for "reasons that remain private".

                                I know of a person who's been advised to not receive the vax because when they got the second shingles shot a few months ago their immune system went berserk for 10 days.
                                I know someone in this situation, too. Except for her, it was the annual flu shot. She became very sick for two weeks. Her doctor said she got an overactive immune system. Which was weird because she's had the flu shot before. Her doctor also advised her not to get the Covid vaccine. And she's in her mid-60s, and she wants it. But for now, won't do it.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X