Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 19-20: Where We Kinda Want Clemson As Champion.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

Easy to say when you grift off another program. You went to UND right? Stick with that. =^p

ftr I have familial ties to LSU. And I've attended games there a few times because of it.

I was happy for my cousins when they won it all but I'll never go Hoven on the bit and supplant my suffering Fandom of The Gophers because of it. =)
    Not many posts inflict this much collateral damage. :-D
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

ftr I have familial ties to LSU. And I've attended games there a few times because of it.

I was happy for my cousins when they won it all but I'll never go Hoven on the bit and supplant my suffering Fandom of The Gophers because of it. =)
      An LSU home game would be an experience, I'd think. Tiger football is religion down there.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

An LSU home game would be an experience, I'd think. Tiger football is religion down there.
        One of the coolest things ever from a sporting spectacle. A game in Little Rock (vs. LSU no less) wasn't that far behind.

Some background - my father's sister married a man from Baton Rouge and established roots there. My mother's parents retired to Fayetteville, AR (which led to a long lasting friendship with Sam Walton) and often we alternated annual visits to LA and AR over Thanksgiving for many years. When the annual Boot Game (AR vs. LSU) was played the Friday after Thanksgiving (1996 - 2013 or so) we attended several of them including a UA 3OT win in Baton Rouge when LSU was then #1.

I am sure it wouldn't compare but I wish I could have been at TCF for the game vs. PSU in 2019 or vs. UW last season.

Comment

One of the coolest things ever from a sporting spectacle. A game in Little Rock (vs. LSU no less) wasn't that far behind.

Some background - my father's sister married a man from Baton Rouge and established roots there. My mother's parents retired to Fayetteville, AR (which led to a long lasting friendship with Sam Walton) and often we alternated annual visits to LA and AR over Thanksgiving for many years. When the annual Boot Game (AR vs. LSU) was played the Friday after Thanksgiving (1996 - 2013 or so) we attended several of them including a UA 3OT win in Baton Rouge when LSU was then #1.

I am sure it wouldn't compare but I wish I could have been at TCF for the game vs. PSU in 2019 or vs. UW last season.
          Dam. I lived in Joplin, Mo (and met Mrs. burd there) for about 5 years 40+ years ago and became familiar with northwest Ark and northeast Okla. In Missouri they were football nuts, but nothing compared to Baton Rouge and Fayetteville. I still miss the Arkansas Ozarks.

Now that w spend some time in Nola with one of our daughters, I'm used to seeing LSU colors everywhere.

Comment

• I've heard Mountaineer is a hoot, in particular because the adults are drunker than the students.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Easy to say when you grift off another program. You went to UND right? Stick with that.
              I went to Clemson too. *******. ; )
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Dam. I lived in Joplin, Mo (and met Mrs. burd there) for about 5 years 40+ years ago and became familiar with northwest Ark and northeast Okla. In Missouri they were football nuts, but nothing compared to Baton Rouge and Fayetteville. I still miss the Arkansas Ozarks.

Now that w spend some time in Nola with one of our daughters, I'm used to seeing LSU colors everywhere.
                When Joplin had their storm of the century (May 2011 - we were on our way to AR for a funeral) we were driving through the middle of it and it was one of the few times ever in my life I felt significant mortal risk.

Comment

When Joplin had their storm of the century (May 2011 - we were on our way to AR for a funeral) we were driving through the middle of it and it was one of the few times ever in my life I felt significant mortal risk.
                  A mile-wide lawn mower. One of wife's family members had his home just disappear.

I assume you were coming down from KC to Carthage just to the east of Joplin, west a bit on 44, then down to Arkansas?

Comment

• I've actually been to Joplin. I was charmed by it, but my god it was hick.

The median age of the people I met there was 85.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

A mile-wide lawn mower. One of wife's family members had his home just disappear.

I assume you were coming down from KC to Carthage just to the east of Joplin, west a bit on 44, then down to Arkansas?
                      I plead ignorance on Carthage, but it was KC to Joplin then to Bentonville/Rogers, Springdale and finally Fayetteville.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Gross. 12 sucks. 16 sucks even more.

you don't get a claim to national title at 16. It's not how it should work.
                        Except this is a straw man. If done right #16 won't be anywhere near the tourny just like, in reality, the #16 team in the PWR never makes the tourny. (and why being on the bubble in the b-ball tourney, even when you have the supposed ranking, can be a sweat) The proper way to do it is to make sure that along with the expansion you would have the G5 conferences (or at least some of them with the opportunity to earn one later if you feel some arent worthy yet) would get autobids as well. That eliminates the worry that say #16 Minnesota (hey a boy can dream!) is going to make the tourny. Barring some real messed up shenanigans that likely isn't going to happen. Since the G5 schools would be the lowest seeds in most scenarios the bubble would be much higher than 16...more likely around #11. (if you assume all of the G5 get bids) Most likely, if the tournament is done right, the #11 team is going to be the #3 team in a Power 5 conference if Notre Dame doesn't qualify OR a #2 team if they do. The conference championship game loser is probably not that far away from making a run so it isn't that crazy a thought...

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT...that isn't what is happening and the crap they are proposing for this 12 team tournament is a ****ing joke. Last I read there is no provision that the G5 get a representative (and you know the Power 5 will do whatever they can to make it hard for them to qualify) and even if they do there is almost zero chance they get more than one. That means you are doing all of this to make sure that the 3rd or 4th best team in the power conferences are still in the hunt. **** that. First of all we know that because of various factors the SEC and the Big Ten are going to get in way too many teams most years hogging most of the at large bids and unbalancing the whole thing. It is going to be awful. (especially since it will be mostly SEC...lets get that awesome 3rd place SEC West team in...cause ESPN says so!!) The only thing that will be different is now at least the Big 12 and the Pac 12 will be guaranteed representation...other than that this solves none of the actual problems.

The only way to make expansion work is to cap the number of teams from a conference (2 for the 12, maybe 3 for the 16) and only allow in teams that played in their title game if they have one. (for the 12) Rematches are to be avoided as long as possible. Personally I say autobids for the G5 conferences and the Power 5 with either 2 at large (12) or 6 at large. (16) Then at least it is a "national" tournament and it somewhat resembles March Madness in that the little schools still have a chip and a chair and chance. It at least it becomes fun and all it will take is an upset or two and its off to the races. This will also incentivize schools to move up from say FCS. None of this will ever happen though because there is no chance that the networks or the Power 5 would allow it.

Honestly, this experiment of trying to create a tournament is crap and I wish they would abandon it. Go back to the old way. Make the Bowl Games mean something again. The BCS was bad enough but the Fraudulent Four is a crock and expanding it won't fix it.
                        Last edited by Handyman; 06-14-2021, 08:21 PM.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• The point of a 12 team tournament is to make money. The point of a 16 team tournament will be to make more money.

A distant second purpose for each of them will be to make the top teams do something they’re reluctant to do unless forced to — play each other.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Given that we will never go back to 1930 (boo) I would just assume they open it up to 16 and cut the RS down to 10 games.

I assume the End Game is a NC$$ Premier League with around 32 teams who hog all the TV money and all the titles. That is pretty much what we have de facto already.

Have 4 divisions of 8, round robin within division (7) plus one rotating game from each other division (3) for 10 RS games. Then take the top 3 teams from each division (12) plus 4 WCs to fill in a 1-16, 2-15 bracket and play out 4 rounds.

Have some BS face-saving agreement where 25% of the pooled money goes to the non-Premier League schools, or however the EPL freed themselves from the Championship.

A license to print money.

Alabama
                            Clemson
                            Georgia
                            Florida
                            LSU
                            Florida State
                            Tennessee
                            Auburn

Ohio State
                            Notre Dame
                            Michigan State
                            Penn State
                            Minnesota
                            Wisconsin
                            Michigan
                            Iowa

Oklahoma
                            Texas
                            Texas A&M
                            Baylor
                            Nebraska
                            TCU
                            Kansas State
                            Colorado

Oregon
                            Utah
                            Boise State
                            USC
                            UCLA
                            Washington
                            Arizona State
                            Stanford
                            Last edited by Kepler; 06-15-2021, 11:24 AM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

• There will be a Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LA_Bowl

I hope Guillermo and Cousin Sal are the referees.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                                There will be a Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LA_Bowl

I hope Guillermo and Cousin Sal are the referees.
                                Purse is Ben Stein's money?
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X