Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 19-20: Where We Kinda Want Clemson As Champion.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I don't think the gophers will ever be eligible. And I don't think anything beyond the top four are necessary.

I'm not saying expanding is wrong. I just don't like it.
    Ah, ok. I kinda agree with you on the “necessary” part, if you’re looking at the purpose of the tournament as settling who the “best team” is. The best team (whatever that means) is very likely in the top 4, so in that sense, more teams are not necessary.

Another angle could be that it diminishes the importance of the regular season games. With just 4 teams, you have to go undefeated to be guaranteed a spot, so virtually every game (at least, the ones with an undefeated or 1-loss team) is a knockout game. For me, the excitement of the longer tournament outweighs that, but I could see how opinions could differ.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

Ah, ok. I kinda agree with you on the “necessary” part, if you’re looking at the purpose of the tournament as settling who the “best team” is. The best team (whatever that means) is very likely in the top 4, so in that sense, more teams are not necessary.

Another angle could be that it diminishes the importance of the regular season games. With just 4 teams, you have to go undefeated to be guaranteed a spot, so virtually every game (at least, the ones with an undefeated or 1-loss team) is a knockout game. For me, the excitement of the longer tournament outweighs that, but I could see how opinions could differ.
      And that's where my opinion has firmly ensconced itself. I think playoffs are awful**. With a few exceptions (Stanley Cup, for example). Single elimination to crown the "best" team? Nah. They're the playoff champions. The best team is whomever is evaluated so by the sum of their accomplishments. Like the Gophers being crowned AP #1 in 60. They lost the Rose Bowl but were still voted #1. Winning the McNaughton was always much more difficult than even winning the NCAA title. You had to churn through 30 games against top caliber (and some dreck) every year.

If we treated playoffs as what they really are, TV fodder, then sure, do whatever. I'm in. And maybe that's MY problem and not everyone else's.

**I guess I don't have a problem with playoffs themselves. I just hate the idea that they give you the best team. It's a RNG. Entertaining and sometimes a lot of fun. But the best team is generally a subjective
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• I like dxmn's reasoning in this (one-and-done context). His analogy to McNaughton is spot on.

Comment

• I agree winning the RS makes sense if the RS is full and balanced, such as it is with European domestic soccer leagues. College football, unfortunately, is far from that if we are looking at the national scale, and with conference expansion it's even lost that distinction there as there are too many teams for full round-robins anymore. Teams in the top 4 probably have a better claim to the best compared to those in the top 8 or 12, but there still is some subjectivity in how the rankings are done, so teams don't go into the season knowing what all of the factors are that will ultimately come into play. At least with a larger playoff it is clear from the start of the playoffs exactly what a team needs to do (i.e. win and win). Yes there is still some subjectivity going into who makes the playoffs, but the sting is less if you move up the point where the goal is "just win until you are champ" and not "satisfy whatever the committee happens to truly like".

Of course this all comes down to what you prefer too. Some people liked the old days when you didn't necessarily have to have a specific NC. I can see the appeal there too, it was more mystical than an exact science who the best was, the debate was half of the fun. And to your point of WCHA RS versus NC, I can see that too. A conference RS champ is the same process every season so there's more of a sense of closeness and history to it. An NC process that seems to change every few years doesn't have the same history, as "winning 12 team tourny", "winning 4 team tourny", "winning CFP NCG", "winning BCS NCG game", "winning Bowl Alliance NCG", "winning Fiesta Bowl aiming to have #1 vs #2", "just winning the last poll", all mean vastly different things over time, so how are you supposed to consider them all the same thing.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Here's what I would do.

Do it how we currently do. Add the eight team playoff on the end. Then hand it to the Massey composite. That's your title winner.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

And that's where my opinion has firmly ensconced itself. I think playoffs are awful**. With a few exceptions (Stanley Cup, for example). Single elimination to crown the "best" team? Nah. They're the playoff champions. The best team is whomever is evaluated so by the sum of their accomplishments. Like the Gophers being crowned AP #1 in 60. They lost the Rose Bowl but were still voted #1. Winning the McNaughton was always much more difficult than even winning the NCAA title. You had to churn through 30 games against top caliber (and some dreck) every year.

If we treated playoffs as what they really are, TV fodder, then sure, do whatever. I'm in. And maybe that's MY problem and not everyone else's.

**I guess I don't have a problem with playoffs themselves. I just hate the idea that they give you the best team. It's a RNG. Entertaining and sometimes a lot of fun. But the best team is generally a subjective
              The Gophers were voted #1 in 1960 before losing in the Rose Bowl. They almost certainly would not have been voted #1 if the poll had been taken after the Rose Bowl. They robbed Ole Miss of a national title. But...that's how they did it back then.

As to going to 12, it's a weird choice. I would have gone to 8 (Power 5 Champions, Top Group of 5 Champion, and 2 at-large). If they go to 12, I can only imagine the outcry (from me and others) when 5 SEC teams get in. But...that's how it looks like they will be doing it going forward.
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Ah. Didn't know that.
                Code:

Comment

Ah. Didn't know that.
                  Yeah, it was one of the oddities of how they voted back then. There were a few teams that benefitted from that set up...I know Minnesota wasn't the only team to lose after getting voted #1.
                  North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Yeah, it was one of the oddities of how they voted back then. There were a few teams that benefitted from that set up...I know Minnesota wasn't the only team to lose after getting voted #1.
                    Oh I'm sure. Either way, I don't believe in the "when" when it comes to ratings. Not that it's what you were suggesting.

Which is why I think a playoff is helpful to get the best teams to play each other for more data in the calcs
                    Code:

Comment

Here's what I would do.
                      Go back to 1930.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Go back to 1930.
                        The Golden era of college football
                        Code:

Comment

• Ahh, Notre Dame and Minnesota fans wanting to go back to college football from 90 years ago when they could win titles. Funny stuff. : p
                          North Dakota

Comment

Ahh, Notre Dame and Minnesota fans wanting to go back to college football from 90 years ago when they could win titles. Funny stuff. : p
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Ahh, Notre Dame and Minnesota fans wanting to go back to college football from 90 years ago when they could win titles. Funny stuff. : p
                              I only want to go back .06.

Comment

Easy to say when you grift off another program. You went to UND right? Stick with that. =^p

ftr I have familial ties to LSU. And I've attended games there a few times because of it.

I was happy for my cousins when they won it all but I'll never go Hoven on the bit and supplant my suffering Fandom of The Gophers because of it. =)

Comment

Working...
                                X