Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 19-20: Where We Kinda Want Clemson As Champion.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    The bowls ruined themselves by having 800 different bowls.
    I do think that played a role. It would be nice if we limited the number of bowl games to about 10. The number of bowl eligible teams would dwindle to 20 (with another 4-8 playoff teams). You could limit the Power 5 conferences to no more than 3 teams (you could implement certain requirements, such as needing to win 10 games or appear in your conference's championship game), and provide tie-ins for each of the Group of 5 conference champions. At the very least, making a bowl game would become a lot more of an accomplishment.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

There is still some importance to the NY6 bowls, based on their history and the fact you get to show how you match up against another top-tier teams that in theory cares. But for all of the other bowls, I agree they lose significance in that people care less how you do against another mediocre team, much less a mediocre team that might not even care.

The teams themselves though might value bowls not so much for the game but rather it allows them to hold team practices for another month. That gives them extra time to develop players for the next year, and every little bit counts there.
      A lot of it is program dependent too. For example, if Minnesota made the Rose Bowl, that would be huge for the university. The same was true for Clemson in 2011 when they finally made it back to the Orange Bowl. They got destroyed by West Virginia, but it provided the impetus for the school to get back on top. Of course, today, if Clemson had lost to Notre Dame and had to settle for the Orange Bowl, it would not pique the program/fanbase's interest. However, North Carolina getting that bid this year may be the spark that program needs to get back to contending for conference titles and perhaps playoff opportunities. Finally, there are some programs that do not truly aspire to the top echelon of the playoff, but can make that once in a generation run to the big bowl. See, e.g., Wake Forest in 2007 Orange Bowl or Arizona State in the 1997 Rose Bowl.

I completely agree with you regarding the value of additional practices. That is an overlooked and underappreciated benefit for making a bowl game.
      North Dakota

Comment

• I think it might be better if the playoff separated from the current bowls. A little like when the BCS decided to create a new "BCS National Title" that rotated sites rather than one of the bowls being the national title game.

One problem with the current system is that the semifinal bowls end up losing their role as a destination. The whole point of the bowls is to cap off the season. For the winning team, the "prestigious" bowl ends up becoming just another step on the way to the title. The other issue is the rotation of the NY6 reintroduced the problem the BCS had before the introduction of the championship as its own bowl game. Every three years, the Rose Bowl isn't Big Ten/Pac 12, the Sugar Bowl isn't SEC/Big XII, and the Orange Bowl misses an ACC team. Bowls have prestige because of tradition, and that tradition is usually based on conference tie-ins.

Separate the semis into other bowls. That could be the BCS model of an additional game at a current bowl site, or make those bid sites like the national championship that change each year. Another option is to go to a Final Four model with everything at the same site, but no NFL team is going to want three extra games on their field in seven days. Plus, these games have enough interest to fill a stadium for one game, so either you'd have to play the games day/night and empty it between games, or play them a day apart and give a team an extra day of rest/scouting.
        Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 12-31-2020, 01:32 PM.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• I’ve always said if Minnesota makes the rose bowl, it would be the first year I would miss my family’s NYE party.

(2020 aside....)
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I’ve always said if Minnesota makes the rose bowl, it would be the first year I would miss my family’s NYE party.

(2020 aside....)
            Yeah it's a pretty cool experience. I know when Iowa made it a few years back their fans really enjoyed the lead-up to the game and getting to see some sights after the game.

:P

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

The bowls ruined themselves by having 800 different bowls.
              That wasn't the Big Four's fault.

Rose (Big10 - Pac10)
              Cotton (SWC)
              Orange (Big8)
              Sugar (SEC)

Those are the only legit bowls. Even the Sun is bogus.
              Last edited by Kepler; 12-31-2020, 01:41 PM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                I think it might be better if the playoff separated from the current bowls. A little like when the BCS decided to create a new "BCS National Title" that rotated sites rather than one of the bowls being the national title game.

One problem with the current system is that the semifinal bowls end up losing their role as a destination. The whole point of the bowls is to cap off the season. For the winning team, the "prestigious" bowl ends up becoming just another step on the way to the title. The other issue is the rotation of the NY6 reintroduced the problem the BCS had before the introduction of the championship as its own bowl game. Every three years, the Rose Bowl isn't Big Ten/Pac 12, the Sugar Bowl isn't SEC/Big XII, and the Orange Bowl misses an ACC team. Bowls have prestige because of tradition, and that tradition is usually based on conference tie-ins.

Separate the semis into other bowls. That could be the BCS model of an additional game at a current bowl site, or make those bid sites like the national championship that change each year. Another option is to go to a Final Four model with everything at the same site, but no NFL team is going to want three extra games on their field in seven days. Plus, these games have enough interest to fill a stadium for one game, so either you'd have to play the games day/night and empty it between games, or play them a day apart and give a team an extra day of rest/scouting.
                I completely agree the Playoff should be separate from the bowls. For example, there is no reason why the Rose Bowl this year should be between Alabama and Notre Dame. The Rose Bowl means something for the B1G and Pac 12. As you stated, it is nothing more than a stepping stone for Alabama and Notre Dame in their quest for a national title, and I doubt Alabama and Notre Dame care whether it is called the Rose Bowl or the College Football Playoff Semifinal Game (it is perhaps fitting that the game is played in Texas this year, which further adds to the irrelevancy of what "bowl" game it is).

Moreover, the fact that the Rose Bowl is between Alabama and Notre Dame as part of the Semifinal also hurts the bowl experience for the top B1G and Pac 12 teams. Quite simply, the Rose Bowl this year should have been Northwestern v. Oregon (presuming we are okay with Ohio State getting bypassed for the Playoff, and Oregon getting the nod based on their victory in the Pac 12 Title game).

The same is also true for the other major bowls and their traditional tie-ins.
                North Dakota

Comment

I’ve always said if Minnesota makes the rose bowl, it would be the first year I would miss my family’s NYE party.

(2020 aside....)
                  Yeah, I have a lot of family/friends that feel similarly. It is truly unfortunate that the Gophers have not been able to pull together that magical season in so long. I was hoping last year was going to be their year. And I don't care for the Gophers. : - )
                  North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

I completely agree the Playoff should be separate from the bowls. For example, there is no reason why the Rose Bowl this year should be between Alabama and Notre Dame. The Rose Bowl means something for the B1G and Pac 12. As you stated, it is nothing more than a stepping stone for Alabama and Notre Dame in their quest for a national title, and I doubt Alabama and Notre Dame care whether it is called the Rose Bowl or the College Football Playoff Semifinal Game (it is perhaps fitting that the game is played in Texas this year, which further adds to the irrelevancy of what "bowl" game it is).

Moreover, the fact that the Rose Bowl is between Alabama and Notre Dame as part of the Semifinal also hurts the bowl experience for the top B1G and Pac 12 teams. Quite simply, the Rose Bowl this year should have been Northwestern v. Oregon (presuming we are okay with Ohio State getting bypassed for the Playoff, and Oregon getting the nod based on their victory in the Pac 12 Title game).

The same is also true for the other major bowls and their traditional tie-ins.
                    Right. I'm sure a trip to Pasadena was great for the Oklahoma and Georgia fans a couple years ago, but would they have cared one way or the other if they were in Pasadena or Arlington? Meanwhile Ohio State and USC were sent for a de facto Rose Bowl at the Cotton Bowl.

Assuming you keep the NY6, but create separate games for the playoffs, this year could be:
                    CFP
                    Semi 1 - #1 Bama vs #4 ND
                    Semi 2 - #2 Clemson vs #3 OSU
                    Title - TBD vs TBD

NY6
                    (Going with higher rankings for autobids, even though you could argue IU/NU and A&M/UF)
                    Rose - #11 Indiana - #25 Oregon
                    Sugar - #5 Texas A&M - #6 Oklahoma
                    Cotton - #10 Iowa State - #15 Iowa (ordinarily this wouldn't happen, but special case since it was canceled this year)
                    Orange - #13 UNC - #7 Florida
                    Peach - #8 Cincinnati - #9 Georgia
                    Fiesta - #12 Coastal Carolina - #14 Northwestern
                    Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 12-31-2020, 04:16 PM.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

(2020 aside....)
                      Seems about as likely as kep and his wife having a threesome with chuck Todd

Comment

• The other problem with the playoffs- it randomizes the bowls too much. No in terms of who and what, but WHEN.

For most of my life, the Rose Bowl started at the same time on Jan 1. Along side it, Cotton Bowl. Then the evening game tended to be the Sugar Bowl and the late game the Orange Bowl. Somehow, the Fiesta got worked into that- but big deal.

Now the games are just whenever- like when the games are not even on Jan 1. Who heard of any of those Bowls not on Jan 1 (except when that was a Sunday)???

Had to look it up- the Orange Bowl is Jan 2 at some time (who cares when).

The fact that the games move around a LOT sucks bad. Don't even know when to look forward to a game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

Right. I'm sure a trip to Pasadena was great for the Oklahoma and Georgia fans a couple years ago, but would they have cared one way or the other if they were in Pasadena or Arlington? Meanwhile Ohio State and USC were sent for a de facto Rose Bowl at the Cotton Bowl.

Assuming you keep the NY6, but create separate games for the playoffs, this year could be:
                          CFP
                          Semi 1 - #1 Bama vs #4 ND
                          Semi 2 - #2 Clemson vs #3 OSU
                          Title - TBD vs TBD

NY6
                          (Going with higher rankings for autobids, even though you could argue IU/NU and A&M/UF)
                          Rose - #11 Indiana - #25 Oregon
                          Sugar - #5 Texas A&M - #6 Oklahoma
                          Cotton - #10 Iowa State - #15 Iowa (ordinarily this wouldn't happen, but special case since it was canceled this year)
                          Orange - #13 UNC - #7 Florida
                          Peach - #8 Cincinnati - #9 Georgia
                          Fiesta - #12 Coastal Carolina - #14 Northwestern
                          And that would be a much more palatable lineup for the traditional college football fans. I would throw in a couple other bowls (maybe some combination of the Sun Bowl, Gator Bowl, Citrus Bowl, Holiday Bowl) to accommodate the conference champions for the other Group of 5 conferences, but I think going to that lineup would be a much more enjoyable bowl season for the traditional fan.

Also, to MichVandal's point, they could have all of the "NY6" games during their traditional Dec 31/Jan 1 timeslots. The "other bowls" could be a few days earlier (maybe the Saturday before NYE?). Then play the Semifinals the Monday after New Years Day (there is no MNF in the NFL in the last week of the season anyway), as that would give everyone a small breather. Then the title game the Monday after that.
                          North Dakota

Comment

• If the Bowls were still traditional, these would have been the matchups (approximately):

Rose (#3 Ohio State vs #17 USC)
                            Cotton (#5 Texas A&M vs #4 Notre Dame)
                            Orange (#6 Oklahoma vs #7 Florida)
                            Sugar (#1 Alabama vs #2 Clemson) <-- winner is probably national champion

Looks fine to me.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Seems about as likely as kep and his wife having a threesome with chuck Todd
                              You seem really obsessed with Dr. Mrs. and my sex life. You trying to tell me something?

Fig. 1 DGF (Artist's Conception)
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

You seem really obsessed with Dr. Mrs. and my sex lives. You trying to tell me something?
                                No I just can’t get over someone finding chuck Todd attractive. It’s fascinating

Comment

Working...
                                X