Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 19-20: Where We Kinda Want Clemson As Champion.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heisman finalist Kyle Trask with 3 interceptions in the first quarter of the Cotton Bowl. Oklahoma up on Florida 17-0.

I don't usually care for Oklahoma Football, but it is always nice seeing the SEC's "best" get steamrolled. Here's to hoping OU keeps it up and pours it on.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• OU trounces Florida 55-20. Of course, the talking point is all about how Florida had a few optouts, and they weren't "the same team" as they had been in 2020.

Shove it up your tailpipe SEC apologists. A few optouts doesn't mean you should get spanked by 5 touchdowns against a Big 12 team. Embarrassing loss last night for the SEC. Here's to another tomorrow afternoon! : - )
      North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        OU trounces Florida 55-20. Of course, the talking point is all about how Florida had a few optouts, and they weren't "the same team" as they had been in 2020.

Shove it up your tailpipe SEC apologists. A few optouts doesn't mean you should get spanked by 5 touchdowns against a Big 12 team. Embarrassing loss last night for the SEC. Here's to another tomorrow afternoon! : - )
        It's also a pretty weak problem to have- as I was watching last night, I kept thinking about the "reason" bowls are so important to the players. At least the excuse we have been told over and over again for years. Apparently not. If they were afraid of getting hurt, they should not have played the entire season. Same if they were really worried about COVID- they live in freaking Florida for crying out loud.

A loss is a loss, and a blowout is a blowout- make excuses all you want. Florida was embarrassed by that.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

It's also a pretty weak problem to have- as I was watching last night, I kept thinking about the "reason" bowls are so important to the players. At least the excuse we have been told over and over again for years. Apparently not. If they were afraid of getting hurt, they should not have played the entire season. Same if they were really worried about COVID- they live in freaking Florida for crying out loud.

A loss is a loss, and a blowout is a blowout- make excuses all you want. Florida was embarrassed by that.
          Agreed.

I'm curious to see how the SEC performs in some of the other bowls, such as the Peach Bowl (Georgia v. Cincinnati) and the Citrus Bowl (Auburn v. Northwestern). Alabama has looked very impressive this season, but after last night's performance, perhaps the SEC was just watered down a bit this season? I'm probably just looking for reasons to be hopeful that Notre Dame can knock of Alabama. I'm also a bit concerned that Clemson might suffer the same fate as last year (if they manage to knock of Ohio State) and run into an absolute buzzsaw in the title game.
          North Dakota

Comment

Agreed.

I'm curious to see how the SEC performs in some of the other bowls, such as the Peach Bowl (Georgia v. Cincinnati) and the Citrus Bowl (Auburn v. Northwestern). Alabama has looked very impressive this season, but after last night's performance, perhaps the SEC was just watered down a bit this season? I'm probably just looking for reasons to be hopeful that Notre Dame can knock of Alabama. I'm also a bit concerned that Clemson might suffer the same fate as last year (if they manage to knock of Ohio State) and run into an absolute buzzsaw in the title game.
            I expect Notre Dame to get drilled.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Agreed.

I'm so torn about that game. I honestly can't stand ND, and the hype that surrounds them- IMHO, it's worse than Bama. But I also hate Bama.

As much as I just loath OSU, I kind of hope: 1) Bama embarrasses ND, badly. 2) OSU makes Clemson look like they stayed in Carolina (I know that hurts for you FS23....), and then 3) OSU does that again against bama.

I'd also like to pretend that I won't watch the games, but there's literally nothing else to do tomorrow (need a break from working on our project).

Actually, for the hater of this situation- they would be rooting for COVID cancelations of the games....

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Yeah, me too. Like I said, I'm just looking for reasons to be hopeful.
                North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

I'm so torn about that game. I honestly can't stand ND, and the hype that surrounds them- IMHO, it's worse than Bama. But I also hate Bama.

As much as I just loath OSU, I kind of hope: 1) Bama embarrasses ND, badly. 2) OSU makes Clemson look like they stayed in Carolina (I know that hurts for you FS23....), and then 3) OSU does that again against bama.

I'd also like to pretend that I won't watch the games, but there's literally nothing else to do tomorrow (need a break from working on our project).

Actually, for the hater of this situation- they would be rooting for COVID cancelations of the games....
                  I am relatively indifferent towards Notre Dame. They have a unique tradition in this country. I'm also not surrounded by Notre Dame fanboys.

As for Alabama, I don't have any natural hate towards them, they just have been too good for too long. They aren't my team, and if my team isn't going to win, I'd like to see different teams win it all (preferably those who have not done so, or have not done so in a long time).

If Clemson were not my team, I could be on board with your hope...although Ohio State doesn't really fit the bill that I laid out above about cheering for teams that don't win titles, or at least not very often (although as discussed previously, the B1G does). If Clemson doesn't win it this year, I guess I would prefer Notre Dame over OSU and Alabama.

That being said, my hope is almost exactly the opposite of yours: (1) Notre Dame destroys Alabama in a thorough and embarrassing fashion; (2) Clemson takes down Ohio State...however necessary; and (3) Clemson wins the rubber match with the Irish.

As for watching the games, last night was the first bowl game I've watched thus far. I will probably watch the USA-Sweden World Juniors game tonight, but tomorrow I will definitely be watching some college football.

Go Tigers!
                  North Dakota

Comment

• With respect to the discussion about bowl games, and whether they are important or not to the players and teams, I am of the opinion that the playoff system, even as limited as it is, has killed the bowl games. I'm fine with that.

Before there was a playoff, the bowl games still sort of had some significance. They were a reward at the end of a long season.

But once the playoff format started, if you weren't in the playoffs, the season felt over. At that point bowls ceased to matter.

If I were the bowls, I'd be pushing hard for an expansion of the playoffs, even if it means shifting your bowl from the traditional date on which it is played.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

With respect to the discussion about bowl games, and whether they are important or not to the players and teams, I am of the opinion that the playoff system, even as limited as it is, has killed the bowl games. I'm fine with that.

Before there was a playoff, the bowl games still sort of had some significance. They were a reward at the end of a long season.

But once the playoff format started, if you weren't in the playoffs, the season felt over. At that point bowls ceased to matter.

If I were the bowls, I'd be pushing hard for an expansion of the playoffs, even if it means shifting your bowl from the traditional date on which it is played.
                      It would be an interesting research project to look into the perceived downfall of the bowl games. First, what objective metrics would one apply (ratings, money generated, attendance, etc.) to determine that the bowl games have indeed fallen. I agree with you that the perception of the bowl games has fallen (I don't know if I would go as far as to say that bowls have ceased to matter), but it would be interesting to see what objective criteria actually support that perception. Second, presuming that is the case, I think it would be interesting to analyze the role the playoff played in such downfall. I think there could potentially be other causes, including the proliferation of the bowl system to begin with, the BCS system that started to mess with "traditional" bowl games, and perhaps external forces, such as the role of the NFL Draft and high profile injuries in bowl games. Perhaps even the expansion of the Power 5 conferences, the increase in regular season games, and/or the watering down of bowl eligible teams played a role. Finally, an analysis of what the best solution is going forward. Should we expand the playoff? To 8/16/24/32 teams? Should we scrap the playoff in its entirety? Should we eliminate all bowl games? Should we decrease the number of bowl games? Increase requirements (e.g., must win 10 games, play for conference championship, etc.) for bowl eligible teams? Lots of interesting questions.
                      North Dakota

Comment

I can't see us winning. I guess we can drag the puck against the boards for 60 minutes and hope for one mistake to exploit.

We could beat Ohio State. We could beat Clemson (all we need is Lawrence out!) But Bama is Speed Kills and I'm not even sure our offense can outrun their defense let alone the converse.

I suspect Bama and Clemson will win in blowouts and then have a 91+ point game in the final.

Last edited by Kepler; 12-31-2020, 11:14 AM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

With respect to the discussion about bowl games, and whether they are important or not to the players and teams, I am of the opinion that the playoff system, even as limited as it is, has killed the bowl games. I'm fine with that.

There is still some importance to the NY6 bowls, based on their history and the fact you get to show how you match up against another top-tier teams that in theory cares. But for all of the other bowls, I agree they lose significance in that people care less how you do against another mediocre team, much less a mediocre team that might not even care.

The teams themselves though might value bowls not so much for the game but rather it allows them to hold team practices for another month. That gives them extra time to develop players for the next year, and every little bit counts there.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

OU trounces Florida 55-20. Of course, the talking point is all about how Florida had a few optouts, and they weren't "the same team" as they had been in 2020.

Along the lines of optouts, OkSt had a WR who did well in the first half of their bowl game and then take himself out of the second half, figuring he had done all he needed to to impress scouts.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• The bowls ruined themselves by having 800 different bowls.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

Along the lines of optouts, OkSt had a WR who did well in the first half of their bowl game and then take himself out of the second half, figuring he had done all he needed to to impress scouts.
                                I did not see that, but interesting. I wonder if part of that concept too is because the players aren't getting paid. It would be interesting to see the number of optouts if players were paid and/or schools were permitted to purchase insurance for their players' benefit in the event of injury.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X