Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 19-20: Where We Kinda Want Clemson As Champion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Hockey is, by far, #1 at North Dakota. One of the stories I like to tell about my time at UND was in 2001:

The football team was playing in the D2 NCAA National Championship game. They had a tremendous season, and won the game with a last minute (and seemingly improbable) touchdown drive. It was the school's first national title in football. A group of freshman tried to get a rally together to greet the team when they returned. That same weekend, the hockey team was playing in Wisconsin. The hockey team was the worst of the Blais era (I believe his only group that finished below .500), and got swept by the Badgers. The two teams returned to campus at approximately the same time, and the group there to meet the hockey team (then 5-9-1) numbered about 10x the size of the group there to meet the football team.

You can also look at other things to show how hockey towers over the other sports programs at North Dakota (e.g. media coverage, ticket cost, attendance, etc.), but I always felt that story showed the relative importance of hockey to football (the #2 at UND).
    Is meeting the hockey team a regular thing? I’ve only heard of that as a thing for championships/historic wins.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• I assumed that when kep mentioned North Dakota football he was referring to NDSU

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
        I assumed that when kep mentioned North Dakota football he was referring to NDSU
        Yes. I mean, I guess. If it's west of Carnegie Mellon and east of UCLA it's not a university, it's a trade school.

So yeah, I was conflating the Sioux and the... uh... Fighting Frackers?

Last edited by Kepler; 12-26-2020, 07:29 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          I vaguely recall Minnesota was a pioneer in “reassignment” in the early days, but I might be thinking of some other major surgery. Heart transplant? I have no idea.
          Are those guys on the state payroll even when they're at a state hospital or university? I always figure they have fingers in various private pies for the bloatloot.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Yikes.

DALLAS (AP) — Ty Jordan, a star freshman running back for the University of Utah who grew up in the Dallas area, has died, school officials announced Saturday.

Authorities in Texas and Utah have not released details about the circumstances of the Jordan’s death. A day earlier, the 19 year old was named Pac-12’s newcomer of the year.
            Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              If it’s a plastic surgeon in NV, I’m guessing it’s a pioneer in a field like sexual realignment (reassignment didn’t sound great to me and I have no idea what the correct medical term is now). Otherwise I can’t imagine a plastic surgeon being on staff at most universities especially not at the highest paid position.

I vaguely recall Minnesota was a pioneer in “reassignment” in the early days, but I might be thinking of some other major surgery. Heart transplant? I have no idea.
              I remember in Silence of the Lambs when Hannibal lecter is speaking to Jodie foster and talking about a suspect and he said that university of Minnesota was one of the only places to offer the surgery . I think that was based off actual facts back then

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Yeah, terribly sad story. The article I had read indicated that he accidentally shot himself. Terrible, terrible news.
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Yeah it sounds like a gunshot (accidental)

Comment

Are those guys on the state payroll even when they're at a state hospital or university? I always figure they have fingers in various private pies for the bloatloot.
                    Most docs who work at a state hospital get a small portion of their salary from the state/university and then a larger amount from the "private" health care company that basically has the same name. So if you look up a physicians salary, it will be like 50k even though it may be 200K to 500K depending on the specialty (hint plastic/orthopedic/neurosurgeon).

Then if you have appointment at the VA it gets even more complicated and you get 3 separate paychecks and benefits.
                    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

Most docs who work at a state hospital get a small portion of their salary from the state/university and then a larger amount from the "private" health care company that basically has the same name. So if you look up a physicians salary, it will be like 50k even though it may be 200K to 500K depending on the specialty (hint plastic/orthopedic/neurosurgeon).
                      Why do it that way?

I mean, I assume it's a scam, but I can't figure out the scam in this instance.

Is it a way for the institution to run on private donations but still rake in public funding? Or a way to hide their profits so they can duck taxes and qualify for other state and federal goodies?
                      Cornell University

Comment

Why do it that way?

I mean, I assume it's a scam, but I can't figure out the scam in this instance.

Is it a way for the institution to run on private donations but still rake in public funding? Or a way to hide their profits so they can duck taxes and qualify for other state and federal goodies?
                        The short answer is I am not sure how it all started that way. It likely has origins in many of these institutions being separate entities, eventfully merging into large health care systems.

It also gives flexibility in having clinically vs research oriented staff. The fact remains you need to see patients and do things to make money in our health care system. Those who are research oriented may only do 1-2 days of clinic a week, they are a "loss" for revenue for a large health system, but great for a large university. Those staff get a larger proportion of salary from the university and much less from the health system. These physicians are also in a traditional tenure track.

There are also clinical physicians who get much more salary from the health system and much less from the university. They are on a different "tenure track" that does not have similar requirements of publish or perish, and often they can stay as assistant professor for as long as they want. Promotion happens but it is based more on clinical production/teaching/etc.

You will lose so many recruiting battles for top physicians if you were to pay just from a large university pool. A neurosurgeon makes like 400k-1M/year. Offer them a 150K/year professorship and very few will jump at that. But if you offer them a 100K/year university salary and then 200-400K additional based on clinical productivity you can then recruit much better.

I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• It also gives physicians control of salary outside of state budget. If 50K of a 250K salary is state university based with 200K based on the private health system, you can weather budget cuts from the state and not lose all your staff.

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

The short answer is I am not sure how it all started that way. It likely has origins in many of these institutions being separate entities, eventfully merging into large health care systems.

It also gives flexibility in having clinically vs research oriented staff. The fact remains you need to see patients and do things to make money in our health care system. Those who are research oriented may only do 1-2 days of clinic a week, they are a "loss" for revenue for a large health system, but great for a large university. Those staff get a larger proportion of salary from the university and much less from the health system. These physicians are also in a traditional tenure track.

There are also clinical physicians who get much more salary from the health system and much less from the university. They are on a different "tenure track" that does not have similar requirements of publish or perish, and often they can stay as assistant professor for as long as they want. Promotion happens but it is based more on clinical production/teaching/etc.

You will lose so many recruiting battles for top physicians if you were to pay just from a large university pool. A neurosurgeon makes like 400k-1M/year. Offer them a 150K/year professorship and very few will jump at that. But if you offer them a 100K/year university salary and then 200-400K additional based on clinical productivity you can then recruit much better.
                            not that you need anyone to vouch for this, but that’s exactly how my doctor’s practice works. She’s teaching 3-4 days a week and sees patients on Mondays. PITA for scheduling appointments, but she’s amazing and needs to be spreading her knowledge and methods to others.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Is anyone aware of the COVID protocol difference between the B1G and the ACC?

I hate the bucks as any other Michigan fan, but man, the grief that Dabo is laying on OSU for playing so few games is kind of interesting. Yea, the B1G didn't do a great job, but it would be interesting to hear if Clemson would have not played games with a different set of standards.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
                                Is anyone aware of the COVID protocol difference between the B1G and the ACC?

I hate the bucks as any other Michigan fan, but man, the grief that Dabo is laying on OSU for playing so few games is kind of interesting. Yea, the B1G didn't do a great job, but it would be interesting to hear if Clemson would have not played games with a different set of standards.
                                I don’t know the details, but from what I read, it certainly seems the B1G had the toughest protocols of any conference.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X