Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 19-20: Where We Kinda Want Clemson As Champion.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

I knew Nebraska would vote to play. The university cares about football above all else, including academics (thankfully UNMC is treated as a separate entity and is isolated from that). Kinda shocked Iowa did too.
    I am not. I cant put into words why but I would have bet money Iowa voted to play. Of course I would have bet more than 2 would vote as such so my parlay is dead

dx,

I know you are making a joke (and well the "N" on the Nebraska Flag stands for Nowledge) but in truth I think the AAU pulled accreditation because of some issue with location of the Med School. (it is in Omaha not Lincoln) There is also the conspiracy theories that it got yanked because they left the Big XII which makes me laugh :-D
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• According to Dan Patrick the Big XII and the ACC are on the fence. SEC is the only league for sure that is saying they want to play. If either the ACC or Big XII postpone it is all over but the shouting.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• And Now For A Reason The Schools Are Making The Right Decision

Lately, physicians are identifying the condition in young, healthy Americans — including athletes. “The last month or two, even asymptomatic young people are developing myocardial injury,” Martinez says.

Of all the hurdles impeding a 2020 college football season, there is one roadblock that has gone mostly overshadowed, buried beneath the other more prominent obstacles, such as testing, travel, a bubble-less college campus and quarantine requirements. That hurdle? The heart.

“That’s what has been the final straw,” says a team doctor at a prominent college football program. “The commissioners are finally figuring it all out. The commissioners are going, ‘Oh my gosh!’ And the doctors are like, ‘Yeah...’”

University leaders and conference executives are grappling with new information from the medical world about the virus’ after effects on its victims, exacerbating an already difficult conundrum: risk it and play a fall season, or sit out and watch an industry potentially crumble? Revelations from physicians like Martinez have deepened the debate.

In fact, the brewing heart issue is a topic on recent calls among the Power 5 conference medical task force, including commissioners and team doctors. Fear over myocarditis has reached the top level of the sport, with Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby and Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren having both privately expressed serious concern over the condition. One Power 5 team doctor, who is privy to conference commissioner calls, says the heart condition is a primary topic during discussions. “We discuss it on every call,” the doctor says under the condition of anonymity.

The issue reared its head Saturday in what was, to this point, the most significant college football news of the shutdown: The Mid-American Conference became the first FBS league to cancel its fall season. The MAC’s medical advisory board unanimously advised conference leaders to suspend the season. And while financial implications were a factor too (MAC schools, on a normal year, lose money on football), the long term and somewhat unknown health impacts of COVID-19 victims — including myocarditis — was an essential discussion point.

“That’s what people aren’t getting,” says a high-ranking MAC administrator with knowledge of the presidents’ call Saturday. “It’s pulmonary, cardiac issues.”
        Man with how upset the rubes are over not getting to watch a ****ing game...it does give me perverse joy to see their tears.
        Last edited by Handyman; 08-10-2020, 12:26 PM.
        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          According to Dan Patrick the Big XII and the ACC are on the fence. SEC is the only league for sure that is saying they want to play. If either the ACC or Big XII postpone it is all over but the shouting.
          I can imagine the SEC going ahead on their own just for political reasons. Those folks really are that stupid.

Forcing a standoff between the NC$$ and the $EC would be pretty sweet, though. Perhaps it will destroy them both.

My long term hope is once the athletes become professionals the athletic departments will legally separate from the schools, and universities go back to being educational institutions rather than jock factories after a 120-year detour.

Sports, beyond intramural league stuff for frisbee-playing stoners, have nothing to do with education. They are the antithesis of the university mission.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• FWIW Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports is saying the Big Ten told him no vote took place with the Presidents and Chancellors. Either Dan Patrick was catfished or the Big Ten is waffling again. (or the spokesman is lying which is just as likely)

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/statu...70623648260097
            Last edited by Handyman; 08-10-2020, 12:56 PM.
            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

FWIW Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports is saying the Big Ten told him no vote took place with the Presidents and Chancellors. Either Dan Patrick was catfished or the Big Ten is waffling again. (or the spokesman is lying which is just as likely)

I think they took their vote. But I also think they're waffling. We are seeing the tail wag the dog here, as big time college football really controls most of the colleges and universities where it is played. I think the athletic departments are going to win this tussle and they will attempt to play.

Comment

• I think you are right. I think the Big Ten was banking on someone besides the weak *** Pac-12 to join them. There is no way Texas and Flo(R)ida are going to give up their sports (without a fight) just because hundreds are dying in their state every day...and well most people in Bama wouldnt even care if their players got sick for less...ummm...savory reasons. (**cough**RACISM**cough**)
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Hah there are ridiculous rumors that some schools might opt to play a non Big Ten schedule. They include PSU, Nebraska, Michigan and tOSU. The Big Ten better get everyone on the same page because right now they look like the Trump Administration with their stupidity. (I doubt any school would actually do this although Scott Frost intimated that at his PC...but his team will suck no matter where they play)

I can feel the countdown to my losing full interest in college football slowly reaching zero.
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

FWIW Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports is saying the Big Ten told him no vote took place with the Presidents and Chancellors. Either Dan Patrick was catfished or the Big Ten is waffling again. (or the spokesman is lying which is just as likely)

It was probably an informal vote so there wasn't technically a vote.

Now being reported that the Mountain West has canceled. With the reported cancellations of the B1G and Pac 12, we're down to 6/10 FBS conferences.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• SEC isnt going full hog into saying they will play...in fact their comments are quite measured. (the conference itself not the coaches) Meanwhile tools like Saban are putting forth the "the players are safer here" BS.

I figured the SEC would have more bluster...but if even they are taking this somewhat seriously then who knows.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Sounds like the reason the Big Ten pushed to postpone is because 5 athletes have been shown to have myocarditis from the Fall sports. That is also probably why the SEC isnt going whole hog into this because that is a tangible issue. That said the Big Ten coaches want to play...

And the Big Ten is only actively discussing postponing not cancelling. That would prevent Khaki McSleepover, Pedo State and Nowledge U from playing elsewhere.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

Don't kid yourself. At plenty of those schools if it isn't the AD it is the head football coach. Even though they reportedly voted overwhelmingly to cancel, I am still waiting for the actual announcement. Until that comes, I assume the B1G is still planning on trying to play.

Football players/coaches/fans/families are in a world by themselves. The cult-like devotion is scary sometimes. Outside of South Bend last week the local large high school football factory had a kid test positive on Thursday. The coaches and AD did not bother to inform the Superintendent and scheduled practice as normal on Friday. They eventually contacted parents and said the positive kid was isolated and all was well but practice was now "optional." Yeah right, optional. No high school kid who doesn't want to be ostracized by the rest of the group is going to miss an "optional" football practice unless he is dead, or maybe if he is dying. The Superintendent hit the roof, said the athletic department was irresponsible and cancelled all football activity. But within hours parents had pushed their kids into protesting and a #LetUsPlay movement sprung up. Football won of course, and practice will continue today.
                          This just isn't the case in the Big Ten. Or at least for most of the Big Ten. Athletics is under a tenth of their total budgets. The CIC or whatever they call themselves now brings in billions every year. To every school. Football, even if every school was OSU or Michigan, would only be bringing in $150 million or less.

I'm not saying they don't care about athletics, they clearly do. But given the choice of CIC or football, at least 12 of the schools would go the U of Chicago route in a heartbeat and wouldn't even think twice.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Students have legal rights too. In Loco Parentis is dealt with differently in college than it is in lower grades. These are adults...you might think they are dumb kids but if they werent in college they could make the choice to work so why should being enrolled at a college change that?

The players think the schools are making them safe. The players feel it is better to be there than at home. Some of the players have suggested lockdowns and on campus bubbles. (I would assume they would take most classes online) If you keep the rules strict enough it can work...they wont but in theory stuff like that can work.

Personally I think they are nuts, but they want the right to decide for themselves. Lets be honest there wont be Spring Football either most likely so a lot of players are gonna be forced to "retire" because of this. The vaccine isnt going to be ready and the winter is expected to grow this thing in very bad ways. Even if they do play in the Spring no first or second round pick will play. No matter what this season is a joke so better not to play it. That doesnt change the fact though that right now is the best chance the Players have to finally change up the stupid system that is in place. (which is cracking at the seams anyways) So I say let them fight...they cant win. (it is at the school's discretion to field a team and the NCAA's/conference's to sanction games) But if they are all on the same page that is step one to a Union. (which I 100% support) If the players take all the risk they should have a voice in the discussion in all aspects of the sport. In this case though the chances they arent putting others at risk is <.00000000001% so they should not play.

dx,

Dont kid yourself...the NCAA isnt doing this for players safety (I was joking when I said that) they are doing it to mitigate lawsuits. The NCAA has not and does not care about the safety of its players.

You and I are arguing two different things but ultimately want the same thing. (no season) Your points are all valid and dont contradict mine. I am saying the Players should have a say in the decision. Not THE say but A say. They should be able to state their case before the powers that be decide. Their voice wont matter but it should be heard. That is the logic I cant disagree with.
                            Students have rights, but so do the schools. If these players win any kind of employment consideration, any one of them who gets sick and suffers any kind of permanent injury has at least an outside chance at being covered under the General Duty Clause under OSHA. Hell, even athletes aside, how many paid employees are part of the football team that aren't 18-year-olds in prime health? It's a lot. So even if the players get ****ed, the GDC requires reasonable and effective protections be implemented for employees. Regardless of whether the players think they're safe or not. If the universities irradiate the field but tell the players they're fine and they accept that, that's not good enough.

I don't think for a second they're doing this for safety. There isn't an entity in the world that does anything out of the goodness of its heart. Every decision made by an organization is with money at the heart of consideration.

The players aren't the only ones being put at risk by playing the games. Those people have rights too. And it's irresponsible and dangerous to give that decision to a bunch of moron kids.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• I am not disagreeing with you...I am just saying it is complete BS that the players dont have a say in any of this. The NCAA is a joke and should not be able to act with impunity the way it does in pretty much every scenario. The players deserve the right to be part of the discussion. (especially since it seems the coaches are)

Also remember not all players are on the same page as Trevor "White Privilege" Lawrence (yeah that name is kind of mean but that is how he sounds) in that they only want to play if the schools put in the proper protocols to make them safe...which in reality is almost impossible even with all the money the Power 5 have. Heart screenings every day (multiple actually) along with tests 3 times a week for at least 85 players on like 120 teams? (that is just the scholarship players...add another 20 per team for walk ons and red shirts) We dont have the infrastructure to handle that and the colleges certainly dont. Even more players are like our own Coney Durr: https://twitter.com/CD16ERA/status/1292670584275587072

The schools and conferences are (if it happens) making the right call.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Khaki McSleepover
                                Beg pardon? Rutgers?
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X