Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 19-20: Where We Kinda Want Clemson As Champion.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    With their entire state budget in shambles, they’re in a unique situation compared to other schools. I believe one of the solutions to their budget problem is merging campuses/athletic departments. It’s possible both programs fold and a new, third program rises, or since Fairbanks is the flagship their history may be the successor for any combined team in that situation.

But Jim probably has better insight into that.
    The smart thing would be to fold all athletics at UAF and keep most stuff at UAA. UAF sucks hardcore at all sports not named hockey or riflery and trying to keep sports in a tiny market like Fairbanks is a recipe for disaster.

But this is the UA system so they’ll do something stupid.

The one thing to note is that UAA is already at the minimum of sports so who knows.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      The smart thing would be to fold all athletics at UAF and keep most stuff at UAA. UAF sucks hardcore at all sports not named hockey or riflery and trying to keep sports in a tiny market like Fairbanks is a recipe for disaster.

The one thing to note is that UAA is already at the minimum of sports so who knows.
      I look forward to seeing the UA-Fairchorage NanWolves in action.
      UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

• Re: College Football 19-20: Where We Kinda Want Clemson As Champion.

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
        The midpoint is Cantwell. Merge them and move them there.

Tell me about Cantwell. I'll bet it's hoppin'.

(Looks.)

Oh holy f-ck, Igloo City! Let's roll!

Last edited by Kepler; 05-23-2020, 03:16 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
          NanWolves suck! Go Anbanks Sea-Ooks!

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

So Michigan President Mark Schlissel has come out and said the elephant in the room- no students = no sports https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...us/5252621002/

Which makes sense, since the athletes are students, not professionals. So they should not be forced to go back w/o other students.

Although, if there are students on campus, Harbaugh is ok playing in front of nobody.

(Get Up this morning also mentioned he pointed out that college football is a small part of the university, less than 10%, and the university would be fine w/o sports for a year- but I can't find a quote. I thought that was interesting because it's been posted many more than once that all sports, including football, is a small part of a University's budget. And for most, it's completely independently funded. So university presidents need to focus on the big picture, not football)

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

There is some precedent with LIU in merging campuses and splitting the hosting duties for sports, but distance throws a huge wrench into that. 350 miles is a lot different than 25.

Do you get the feeling that people would unite behind a single Alaska team, or would whichever town that gets left out be resentful?
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                So Michigan President Mark Schlissel has come out and said the elephant in the room- no students = no sports https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...us/5252621002/

Which makes sense, since the athletes are students, not professionals. So they should not be forced to go back w/o other students.

Although, if there are students on campus, Harbaugh is ok playing in front of nobody.

(Get Up this morning also mentioned he pointed out that college football is a small part of the university, less than 10%, and the university would be fine w/o sports for a year- but I can't find a quote. I thought that was interesting because it's been posted many more than once that all sports, including football, is a small part of a University's budget. And for most, it's completely independently funded. So university presidents need to focus on the big picture, not football)
                Everyone is announcing their plans to come back with in-person classes and some schools are even changing their schedule to limit the time students can go home. But I don't know if I've yet seen a school come out with their proposals if there is an outbreak on campus. Shut it down and send everyone home? Quarantine a specific dorm if that's the source? What happens if it's an off campus student or a frat?

If a school has to shut down in the middle of October, is that the end of the season? Forfeit the games? Or is the goal just to start with students and then if something happens try your hardest to keep student-athletes around to continue the season?
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I’ve paid for my gopher football season tickets in full fir this coming fall. Not a peep yet from athletic office, which isn’t surprising.

What I’m not going to do is give a cent for hockey tickets until they communicate what they’re doing- I’ll be concerned about what money I get back and sure as heck not sending them more while they hold onto my football money

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

Football is barely a line item on a university’s income statement. Big ten schools get 10-25 times more in grants alone.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      I’ve paid for my gopher football season tickets in full fir this coming fall. Not a peep yet from athletic office, which isn’t surprising.

What I’m not going to do is give a cent for hockey tickets until they communicate what they’re doing- I’ll be concerned about what money I get back and sure as heck not sending them more while they hold onto my football money
                      We have been told as ticket holders that we would either be reimbursed, moved to the next season, or donated- and it would be up to the ticket holder. So I'll be renewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                        Everyone is announcing their plans to come back with in-person classes and some schools are even changing their schedule to limit the time students can go home. But I don't know if I've yet seen a school come out with their proposals if there is an outbreak on campus. Shut it down and send everyone home? Quarantine a specific dorm if that's the source? What happens if it's an off campus student or a frat?

If a school has to shut down in the middle of October, is that the end of the season? Forfeit the games? Or is the goal just to start with students and then if something happens try your hardest to keep student-athletes around to continue the season?
                        The hard part is how to bring students to campus in a safe way- considering they are coming from all over the world. If you can find a method to bring in students safely, and then keep them among themselves- there can be on-campus learning. I'm sure schools are figuring out ways to test students to find carriers and separate them for some time.

If there are students, then there can be athletics, even without fans.

But the top priority for all schools is to get the research back going again and teaching- that's virtually all of the money on campus.

Comment

There is some precedent with LIU in merging campuses and splitting the hosting duties for sports, but distance throws a huge wrench into that. 350 miles is a lot different than 25.

Do you get the feeling that people would unite behind a single Alaska team, or would whichever town that gets left out be resentful?
                          If they merge and put the hockey team in Fairbanks then the UA will never get another dime from me. And I’m someone who also attends plenty of volleyball and basketball games.

And I’m not the only one who feels that way.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Have you seen the vitriol over the years in UAA/UAF series threads? No way.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              I can't tell if this is tongue in cheek.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                To be fair, we both hate the CCHA schools a lot more than each other right now.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X