• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    If these can't reach your soul check your pulse:

Freddie King - Going Down
    Fanny - Ain't That Peculiar
    Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign
    Mayer Hawthorne - A Long Time

Not sure if this will be a duplicate? I posted this once and it never showed up for me.
    None of you cretins have anything to say?

Anyway, Rick Beato on the year that was 1991.

Comment

None of you cretins have anything to say?
      I thought it went without saying they were all amazing.

Freddie King alone has 20 great songs.

And Albert King is what Albert King is.
      Last edited by Kepler; 01-15-2021, 07:44 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Current listening:

The Grifters - https://youtu.be/rLgIe3GEMIw

Future of The Left - https://youtu.be/loBEgPOp03I

and finally giving The Who and Pink Floyd a chance...
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          Current listening:

The Grifters - https://youtu.be/rLgIe3GEMIw

Future of The Left - https://youtu.be/loBEgPOp03I

and finally giving The Who and Pink Floyd a chance...
          I was absolutely fixated on the Who from 15 through 17 so if you have any questions I'm your guy.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I was absolutely fixated on the Who from 15 through 17 so if you have any questions I'm your guy.
            I received “Who’s Next” on vinyl for Xmas and love it. But, for novices like me, where would you suggest I start with their catalog to begin a deep dive?

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

I received “Who’s Next” on vinyl for Xmas and love it. But, for novices like me, where would you suggest I start with their catalog to begin a deep dive?
              Who's Next
              Quadraphenia
              Live At Leeds

Comment

• Probably everyone would say Who's Next.

I never went as deep into the Who as Kep, and to me, I like them well enough, but don't consider myself a diehard fan. Pre-Tommy stuff I'm not that familiar with, and anything after Moon died is probably not necessary. Probably can't go wrong with anything between Tommy and Who Are You. Everyone raves about Tommy as being the definitive 'rock opera' but I always preferred Quadrophenia.

After that would be Townshend's Empty Glass, and maybe Chinese Eyes. The latter is pretentious and arty, but if you have a high enough tolerance for that sort of thing, it's a wonderful record. To me, it's a masterpiece.
                Last edited by rufus; 01-17-2021, 10:19 AM.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

To begin:

See the movie The Kids Are Alright

Who's Next
                  Tommy
                  Quadrophenia

Then see the movie of Quadrophenia, which is the best genre rock and roll movie ever made. Hard Day's Night and Woodstock can suck it.

For depth:

Who Are You
                  Live at Leeds
                  Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy

Then see the movie of Tommy but be warned, this is not good. It's strictly for canon.

After that it gets dicey. There are a few wonderful tracks on Who By Numbers (Blue, Red and Grey, Squeeze Box, Slip Kid) and Odds and Sods (I'm the Face, Long Live Rock), and a lot of misses.

Beginning with Face Dances, Townshend's enormous ego swallowed the band and they became tiresome and unlistenable. (c.f. Genesis, Collins; Pink Floyd, Waters)

Extra Credit: see the BBC production of A Comedy of Errors with Daltrey as Dromio. I think he's hilarious (my theatre brethren do not agree).

The Who were amazing because every one of the four contributed a different, non-overlapping value. Townshend had the musical skill and imagination, Daltrey had the front man power and the cutting sincerity, Entwistle was witty and the personification of cool bass, Moon was clinically insane and hysterically funny. Like a lot of bands (Stones, Beatles, Zep) they excreted great music from the struggle of two titanic and violent egos and for as long as they maintained that tension we got amazing art punctuated by sex and anger. I love this band.

I only saw them in 1981 after they had jumped the shark and were already pretty tired, but my god I wish I had seen them around the time of Live at Leeds. Kids: that was what "rock and roll" was.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 01-17-2021, 11:53 AM.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Who's Next
                    Quadraphenia
                    Live At Leeds
                    Thanks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                      Probably everyone would say Who's Next.

I never went as deep into the Who as Kep, and to me, I like them well enough, but don't consider myself a diehard fan. Pre-Tommy stuff I'm not that familiar with, and anything after Moon died is probably not necessary. Probably can't go wrong with anything between Tommy and Who Are You. Everyone raves about Tommy as being the definitive 'rock opera' but I always preferred Quadrophenia.

After that would be Townshend's Empty Glass, and maybe Chinese Eyes. The latter is pretentious and arty, but if you have a high enough tolerance for that sort of thing, it's a wonderful record. To me, it's a masterpiece.
                      Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

To begin:

See the movie The Kids Are Alright

Who's Next
                        Tommy
                        Quadrophenia

Then see the movie of Quadrophenia, which is the best genre rock and roll movie ever made. Hard Day's Night and Woodstock can suck it.

For depth:

Who Are You
                        Live at Leeds
                        Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy

Then see the movie of Tommy but be warned, this is not good. It's strictly for canon.

After that it gets dicey. There are a few wonderful tracks on Who By Numbers (Blue, Red and Grey, Squeeze Box, Slip Kid) and Odds and Sods (I'm the Face, Long Live Rock), and a lot of misses.

Beginning with Face Dances, Townshend's enormous ego swallowed the band and they became tiresome and unlistenable. (c.f. Genesis, Collins; Pink Floyd, Waters)

Extra Credit: see the BBC production of A Comedy of Errors with Daltrey as Dromio. I think he's hilarious (my theatre brethren do not agree).

The Who were amazing because every one of the four contributed a different, non-overlapping value. Townshend had the musical skill and imagination, Daltrey had the front man power and the cutting sincerity, Entwistle was witty and the personification of cool bass, Moon was clinically insane and hysterically funny. Like a lot of bands (Stones, Beatles, Zep) they excreted great music from the struggle of two titanic and violent egos and for as long as they maintained that tension we got amazing art punctuated by sex and anger. I love this band.

I only saw them in 1981 after they had jumped the shark and were already pretty tired, but my god I wish I had seen them around the time of Live at Leeds. Kids: that was what "rock and roll" was.
                        Thanks Kep! Lots of great info here! This is going to be fun.

Comment

• I always like seeing the Classic Albums episode on Who’s Next. Nice in depth look into the album and it’s making of.

The only later song I’d mention is Eminence Front.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• I saw them in '96 doing Quadrophenia in its entirety, along with an encore of select hits. Billy Idol played the Ace Face. Terrific show.

Also the show that introduced me opening act Ocean Colour Scene. Noel Gallagher's favorite band.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              That was after Pete Townshend become a corporate whore, so bleh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                Guh. De gustibus non est disputandum, but man I hate that song. It's Burning Down the House. Catchy but guh.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 01-18-2021, 10:27 AM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X