Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm also listening to "Hear You Me" by Jimmy Eat World and I'm sobbing because even though my mom passed in September 2010, the holidays just suck without her.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
      Rudolph: my favorite Christmas song about how people are dicks until they need something from you.
      The adults in the Rudolph cartoon are all Republican dirtbags.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Mariah Carey points a claw at another innocent victim. "All I want for Christmas is.... YOU." The sound of screaming is replaced by the sound of bones crunching. We all rest easy tonight, knowing the Mariah has been fed. For now.
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• 39 years old, and the last couple years, I've discovered that many of the Christmas songs I mindlessly sung at 8 years old are so full of sh-t porta-potties couldn't even handle it.

Comment

• So, I've always been a closet Swiftie and I am excited for Taylor Swift re-recording her first six albums. I had thought of buying the Red and 1989 albums, but I'll wait until the re-releases drop.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• I finally have some extra scratch to get records and have been trying to pick up vinyl for albums I bought on cd back in the day.

Bob Mould’s “Workbook” and “Black Sheets of Rain” our of print.

Living Colour’s “Vivid” our of print.

Sweep The Leg Johnny, everything out of print.

Seam, Arcwelder, Brainiac, all out of print.

man, Touch and Go really dropped the ball on maintaining their physical catalog...ugh

Soul Asylum’s “And The Horse They Rose In On”, “Hang Time”, “Grace Dancers Union”, “While You Were Out” all our of print.

Rush “Counterparts” our of print (for now anyway)

Voivod? Forget it. Our of print for “Nothingface” and “Angel Rat”

Why did I ever switch to cds in the first Gd place!!!!????
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Always the used market. Vinyl has become pretty huge right now. Discogs is a good source for older stuff if you don't have the time or inclination to prowl the used bins.

Also many of the new reissues don't sound as good as the originals. Sometimes its the remaster, suffering from the same "loudness wars" that have plagued CDs, and other times it's ****ty cuttings done by ****ty production facilities. A lot of the art of cutting vinyl has been lost as those older companies have gone out of business, and the equipment consigned to the dustbin.

But just to pizz you off, I have both Workbook and Black Sheets of Rain, both amazing records, from their original pressings. Although both Workbook and Black Sheets are pretty pricey on the used market. Coming at the tail end of the 80's/early 90's when CDs were taking over, there were a lot fewer copies pressed, therefore rather more rare in the used market. A real nice pressing of the first Black Crowes record will go for over $100 these days. Also Vivid and all the Soul Asylums except Grave Dancers Union.

Dug out my old copy of The Psychedelic Furs' Forever Now yesterday and played it for the first time in years, on my system which has been substantially upgraded over the past few years. Sounded incredible. And for the first time, I could actually make out what Flo and Eddie were singing in the background counter-melody for Yes I Do.
                Last edited by rufus; 12-24-2020, 07:36 PM.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  Always the used market. Vinyl has become pretty huge right now. Discogs is a good source for older stuff if you don't have the time or inclination to prowl the used bins. Also many of the new reissues don't sound as good as the originals. Sometimes its the remaster, suffering from the same "loudness wars" that have plagued CDs, and other times it's ****ty cuttings done by ****ty production facilities. A lot of the art of cutting vinyl has been lost as those older companies have gone out of business, and the equipment consigned to the dustbin.

But just to pizz you off, I have both Workbook and Black Sheets of Rain, both amazing records, from their original pressings. Also Vivid and all the Soul Asylums except Grave Dancers Union.

Dug out my old copy of The Psychedelic Furs' Forever Now yesterday and played it for the first time in years, on my system which has been substantially upgraded over the past few years. Sounded incredible. And for the first time, I could actually make out what Flo and Eddie were singing in the background counter-melody for Yes I Do.
                  Nice!!! Love those Mould albums plus Vivid and Soul Asylum.

i agree with you on some of the reissues. I think some of them may be using digital files (meaning the files to press cds) to send to vinyl pressing plants to create stampers and test pressings. There’s a huge difference in sound imo if a band or label doesn’t get a separate master for vinyl.

I’ve just started browsing Discogs. That’s a pretty amazing planet of it’s own. I’m going to buy the Living Colour LP and the Mould albums for sure now that I see them available.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

• Also need to pick up Husker DU’s “Candy Apple Grey” which I see is out of print but on Discogs

Comment

• Got all of the Husker albums too, which are also pretty pricey on the used market.

I'm kinda torn on the digital files bit. Yes, if they just take the tracks as they've been mastered for CD, and use them to cut a vinyl record from, they're gonna sound like crap. But I've bought a couple remasters lately, Simple Minds' New Gold Dream, and John Martyn's Solid Air, that were half-speed mastered at Abbey Road studios using digital files made from the original analog tapes, that are two of the best sounding records in my collection. Half-speed mastering using digital files allows the mastering engineer to do things with software, such as de-essing, that he wouldn't be able to do in the analog domain at half-speed, simply because the frequency would be too low at that speed for his equipment to recognize. As long as the mastering engineer knows what he's doing.

Then again, the same guy did the half-speed remasters of the Rolling Stones' catalog that people have been less than impressed with. I think the reason there is that he got the digital files from the Stones' organization instead of being allowed to create them himself, and those files may not have been as good as he might have done himself. Again, depends on who's doing it.

Also just got Joan Armatrading's debut album from a relatively new label called Intervention Records that was remastered completely analog from the original analog masters that is maybe the best sounding album in my collection. Amazingly good, both in the remastering and in the quality of the cutting/pressing. Dead silent record. They're coming out with The Church's Starfish in a couple months that I already have on preorder. Very impressed with what they're doing, their approach to how they want the records to sound, and their commitment to having top quality pressing and packaging.
                      Last edited by rufus; 12-24-2020, 07:59 PM.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Today, listening to some of the bands you've recommended to me over the years, like Young The Giant, TV On The Radio, The Dandy Warhols, St. Vincent, Cloud Cult, and more. Also reliving my teen years and listening to Third Eye Blind, Goo Goo Dolls, Hole, Gin Blossoms, Beck...

Comment

• The Cure.

Spotify is recommending I also check out Peter Murphy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and the Psychedelic Furs.

Comment

The Cure.

Spotify is recommending I also check out Peter Murphy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and the Psychedelic Furs.
                            Welcome to my junior year of HS. :-)

You will love it all!
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The Cure.

Based upon those recommendations I would also suggest Bauhaus, Tones on Tail and Love & Rockets, Echo & The Bunnymen, Modern English, The Church, The Chameleons, Simple Minds, The Teardrop Explodes, Gene Loves Jezebel, New Order, The The...

I know that's a lot but still.

Comment

• That is a lot of good stuff. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X