X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread: We All Have A Crush On Shirley Manson

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I'll be honest, I think the absence of Columbia House and BMG and whatever other "clubs" there were for music is a real loss for today's generation. They've got their streaming services and whatever else, but I thought those clubs were fun.
    Nah, YouTube alone is worth more than all the distribution systems for music ever invented.

Plus remember that the album system resulted in from 30-60% of all the tracks ever recorded being mail-in pap to satisfy the contract. You ever listen to a Kinks album all the way through? That's an outstanding and serious group, and I'll bet half the songs they recorded they never played again after the album tour.

Of bands of the album era the only one I can think of who never took a song off was the Dead (respect, though I don't care for them a bit) and that was because the whole business model was reversed with the albums selling the tours.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-04-2020, 05:04 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Nah, YouTube alone is worth more than all the distribution systems for music ever invented.

Plus remember that the album system resulted in from 30-60% of all the tracks ever recorded being mail-in pap to satisfy the contract. You ever listen to a Kinks album all the way through? I'll bet 4 out of every 5 songs they recorded they never played again after the album tour.
      Didn't you ever find a song on one of those albums, a song you'd never heard before and probably would never here on any radio station, and just love that song?
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        Didn't you ever find a song on one of those albums, a song you'd never heard before and probably would never here on any radio station, and just love that song?
        That's what Pandora is for.

And yes, that song is "Blue, Red, and Grey" on Who by Numbers. I'm sure it had nothing to do with my unrequited love for a sophomore French horn player. Ah, Stephany, où sont les neiges d'antan?
        Last edited by Kepler; 05-04-2020, 05:09 PM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Dr. Mrs. and her drunky drunk friends are currently doing some Facebook thing where they give the 10 albums that most influenced their taste in music. It's an interesting question because you are supposed to list them based on your whole life; so for example if you really loved that Bee Gees album when you were 16 but grew out of it eventually, be honest and include it.

Mine (in order of age at which I was first influenced):

Quadrophenia, The Who
          Animals, Pink Floyd
          Teenage Head, Flamin' Groovies
          One Nation under a Groove, Funkadelic
          Entertainment, Gang of Four
          Remain in Light, Talking Heads
          The Clash, The Clash
          We're Only in It for the Money, Frank Zappa
          Discipline, King Crimson
          OK Computer, Radiohead
          How many Steely Dan albums are there?

Electric Ladyland Hendrix
          Live at the Filmore East Allman Brothers
          Reelin in the Years Steely Dan
          Captain and Me Doobie Brothers
          Fragile Yes
          Whos Next Who
          Abraxas Santana
          Chicago III Chicago
          Open, Blues Image
          Roadwork Edgar Winter and White Trash
          Aja Steely Dan
          Moonflower Santana
          Woodstock, various Artists
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

That's what Pandora is for.

And yes, that song is "Blue, Red, and Grey" on Who by Numbers. I'm sure it had nothing to do with my unrequited love for a sophomore French horn player. Ah, Stephany, où sont les neiges d'antan?
            Redhead, no doubt.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              Redhead, no doubt.
              Strawberry blonde. My god, heartachingly lovely. A combination of all the best parts of Mandy Pepperidge and Laia Manzanares.

Hey, I asked, anyway. Gather round, lads, and I will tell thee a tale of bravery and foolish desire.
              Last edited by Kepler; 05-04-2020, 05:47 PM.
              Cornell University

Comment

To limit to top 10, as Slap said, is really difficult, if not impossible. I'm sure most of us could rattle off 20-30 without blinking an eye, because of the different phases of our life and when we heard said albums. 10 years ago, I don't think I'd be into someone like Billie Eilish, but here I am, loving it.

The music clubs WERE the "YouTube" of my generation. Easily scammable to max out on the deals, etc. Now, it's simply referred to as "youtubing" where you keep following that next link and maybe hear a new song or new band (at least, new to you).
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                  To limit to top 10, as Slap said, is really difficult, if not impossible. I'm sure most of us could rattle off 20-30 without blinking an eye, because of the different phases of our life and when we heard said albums. 10 years ago, I don't think I'd be into someone like Billie Eilish, but here I am, loving it.

The music clubs WERE the "YouTube" of my generation. Easily scammable to max out on the deals, etc. Now, it's simply referred to as "youtubing" where you keep following that next link and maybe hear a new song or new band (at least, new to you).
                  I know for me, starting hormones enabled me to start listening to Lady Gaga and P!nk.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                    I know for me, starting hormones enabled me to start listening to Lady Gaga and P!nk.
                    Pink is underrated. She jumped through some serious hoops to be able to do what she does now. Not really a fan, but she has my respect.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

The birth of rock and roll, a theory.

1946, boogie woogie, Andrew Sisters

1952, rockabilly, Merrill Moore

1959, rock and roll, Chuck Berry
                      Cornell University

Comment

When my baby girl is crying, we can play Queen to calm her into sleep. It works better in the car than the house, but it still works at home. We learned this from “Don’t Stop Me Now” came up on a YouTube playlist. At first we thought it coincidence, but then we were able to repeat it, and using a variety of their songs.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          When my baby girl is crying, we can play Queen to calm her into sleep. It works better in the car than the house, but it still works at home. We learned this from “Don’t Stop Me Now” came up on a YouTube playlist. At first we thought it coincidence, but then we were able to repeat it, and using a variety of their songs.
                          The hundredth use discovered for Freddy Mercury's mouth.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            I did a science project in Jr High, and found that no matter how heavy/chaotic or calm music is, if you're into it, Your heartbeat lowers, etc. It's a comfort place. For some, it was classical. Others? Hair metal (I said Jr High! ). Etc.

For the bigger study stuff I've seen, Queen has major classical music overlaps, and classical has proven very calming in infants/etc who have not developed their own tastes in music.

Comment

Our 14 month old loves classical and Lizzo. Yep.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

14 month old has good taste.

I'm listening to Lizzo now. Tempo makes me want to dance.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X