USCHO Music Thread: We All Have A Crush On Shirley Manson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread: We All Have A Crush On Shirley Manson

Found an RATM ticket for $160 in Milwaukee.

Gilets Jaunes!!!
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

"Give Up" by the Postal Service

Such a good album. Better than anything Death Cab ever put out.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Not even The Ramones could do more in two minutes. Argue otherwise I know a witch doctor do you know where I live?

Comment

Remembered Stabbing Westward tonight and am listening to Darkest Days on Spotify.
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            Not even The Ramones could do more in two minutes. Argue otherwise I know a witch doctor do you know where I live?
            The beauty of the Ramones is not what they did in 2 minutes...it's what they DIDN'T do in two minutes.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Youtubing, and came across this classic gem. The album is magnificent, this track is underrated. I 95% guarantee you he did this freestyle. Just off the cuff. NSFW, the ODB:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATbB...EdfjhJ7Vj_kXaA
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                Youtubing, and came across this classic gem. The album is magnificent, this track is underrated. I 95% guarantee you he did this freestyle. Just off the cuff. NSFW, the ODB:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATbB...EdfjhJ7Vj_kXaA
                Fantastic. Thank you.

If you see the bootlegs of him freestyling in the streets in Philly and Atlantic City (I think?) it looks like the crazy persona (I mean other than the fact he was actually bipolar) was a technique he used to unnerve opponents. He gets real close and the other guy looks like he doesn't know whether ODB is going to hit him. Pretty hard to keep a good flow under those circumstances.

Also explains how a skinny, comparatively slight guy held his own against monsters who did nothing but lift during their prison stretches. Those men were truly nothin' to f-ck with.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Fantastic. Thank you.

If you see the bootlegs of him freestyling in the streets in Philly and Atlantic City (I think?) it looks like the crazy persona (I mean other than the fact he was actually bipolar) was a technique he used to unnerve opponents. He gets real close and the other guy looks like he doesn't know whether ODB is going to hit him. Pretty hard to keep a good flow under those circumstances.

Also explains how a skinny, comparatively slight guy held his own against monsters who did nothing but lift during their prison stretches. Those men were truly nothin' to f-ck with.
                  That, and the drugs.

He just rattled off rhymes...

Very much the opposite of Chuck D (Public Enemy). The local public radio station here mentioned a story where Chuck met up with Atmosphere (MPLS rap duo, VERY good, link of a fave below) and Brother Ali (MPLS rapper, actually went to high school with him), and the latter artists started free-styling. Asked Chuck D to join them onstage, and Chuck said, "I don't do free-style."

Point is, some people can, and some can't. Free-styling is a very difficult thing to do well. I suppose it's much like improv/ad-libbing in acting. You either have it, or you don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT5XrYLo3-I

Comment

Chuck D was doing it from his head. ODB was doing it from various other parts of his anatomy.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Lady Gaga is back!

Comment

Speaking of Shirley Manson......

In my collection I have roughly 150-200 records that I bought back in the day, and either never got around to listening to, or listened to maybe once but they never registered with me enough to file in my main collection, they just stayed with the batch of unlistened. Over the past year or so, I've been slowly working my way through them. One that I dug out the other day was a band called Fire Town, from Wisconsin, released in 1987, still unopened in its shrink wrap.

Those of you outside of the Midwest probably never have even heard of them. I have no idea what compelled me to buy this in the first place. I don't think I had ever heard a song by them. Maybe I was just looking for something different, maybe I just liked the cover, maybe I had read a review or had heard of them and just don't remember now, I don't know. But anyway, I looked at the back cover to see who might have been in the band, and they had a very young-looking drummer by the name of Butch Vig. So I had to look into them more.

Fire Town formed out of the breakup of a band called Spooner, which included Vig and a guitarist named Duke Erikson, released two albums, the second in 1989, and then broke up. Vig went on to produce a bunch of well known albums, and then got back together with Erikson and another friend/former bandmate of his, Steve Marker, to form a band that basically just played fill-in gigs when other bands couldn't make it.

Then they changed their name and asked Shirley Manson to join them. And the rest is............
                        Last edited by rufus; 03-01-2020, 06:14 PM.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Thanks to a tweeter thing...got me youtubing again...and this still blows my mind after all these years (NSFW, btw):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFwt97z_S0U

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                            Thanks to a tweeter thing...got me youtubing again...and this still blows my mind after all these years (NSFW, btw):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFwt97z_S0U
                            That's some bad hat, Harry.
                            Cornell University

Comment

On this day in 1983 the compact disc debuted, eventually forcing everyone to buy Abbey Road again.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                On this day in 1983 the compact disc debuted, eventually forcing everyone to buy Abbey Road again.
                                Not everyone.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X