This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread: We All Have A Crush On Shirley Manson

There are videos out there of songs being created using programming to construct the "perfect" song and as expected the results were awful. If you want to study music composition I can point you in the right direction.
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 01-15-2020, 02:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I'd not heard this before. Very nice.

The discussion with dx got me thinking about Steely Dan as an example of a band I hated in my teens, 20s, and 30s. In my 40s I ran into the story of how they put their music together and how (insanely) meticulous every note and phrase is. It's an example of music which I came to love by studying it. It reminds me of the quote, "Wagner is better than it sounds." Music is not just first listen: you like it or you don't. Like other tastes it changes over time and with context.

When this came out I dismissed it as muzak. Now I think it's one of the finest compositions in rock history, with "depths of no bottom."
      One of the first records I ever bought. That album is one of my go-to's when evaluating new additions to my stereo set-up. The electric piano solo is wonderful.

And EDM sucks too, just like disco did.
      Last edited by rufus; 01-15-2020, 04:26 PM.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        There are videos out there of songs being created using programming to construct the "perfect" song and as expected the results were awful. If you want to study music composition I can point you in the right direction.
        Pretending that computers are capable of human emotion and expression is a terrible idea.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          And EDM sucks too, just like disco did.
          But disco gave us rap so it gets a lifetime pass.

I'm not sure what EDM has given us except 20-somethings somehow even less interesting than other times' 20-somethings.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I'm not sure what EDM has given us except 20-somethings somehow even less interesting than other times' 20-somethings.
            Ecstasy.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              Ecstasy.
              By that logic disco also gave us coke.

Fun fact: Merck patented MDMA in 1912.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

EDM is wonderful and likely responsible for me getting laid more than a few times.

Also Sandstorm.
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  EDM is wonderful and likely responsible for me getting laid more than a few times.

Also Sandstorm.
                  Sandstorm rules. I have a remix that blends Sandstorm/Zombie Nation/Blood Is Pumpin' (the last one is from Blade II, the techno club scene). It's friggin' awesome, and about 20 minutes long.

That being said, Skrillex and his dubstep counterparts can eat a dcik.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Rap predates disco. Disco gave us hair bands and eventually grunge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      Disco gave us hair bands
                      I don't follow, unless you're arguing disco was pop, and hair bands were pop, therefore transitive property.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        I don't follow, unless you're arguing disco was pop, and hair bands were pop, therefore transitive property.
                        It was a backlash to how awful and trite disco was. It was a rebellion.

Comment

It was a backlash to how awful and trite disco was. It was a rebellion.
                          This. Musically, as I mentioned before, disco led to techno.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Rap predates disco.
                            The people who created rap say they drew inspiration from disco. I'm gonna go with them.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              The people who created rap say they drew inspiration from disco. I'm gonna go with them.
                              Source? Because this is the first I've heard of this connection.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Source? Because this is the first I've heard of this connection.
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_ho...uence_of_disco

Hip hop music was both influenced by disco music, as disco also emphasized the key role of the DJ in creating tracks and mixes for dancers. As well, hip hop from the late 1970s used disco tracks as beats. At the same time, hip hop music was also a backlash against certain subgenres of late 1970s disco. While the early disco was African-American and Italian-American-created underground music developed by DJs and producers for the dance club subculture, by the late 1970s, disco airwaves were dominated by mainstream, expensively recorded music industry-produced disco songs. According to Kurtis Blow, the early days of hip hop were characterized by divisions between fans and detractors of disco music. Hip hop had largely emerged as "a direct response to the watered down, Europeanised, disco music that permeated the airwaves". The earliest hip hop was mainly based on hard funk loops sourced from vintage funk records. However, by 1979, disco instrumental loops/tracks had become the basis of much hip hop music. This genre was called "disco rap". Ironically, the rise of hip hop music also played a role in the eventual decline in disco's popularity.

The disco sound had a strong influence on early hip hop music. Most of the early rap/hip-hop songs were created by isolating existing disco bass-guitar bass lines and dubbing over them with MC rhymes. The Sugarhill Gang used Chic's "Good Times" as the foundation for their 1979 hit "Rapper's Delight", generally considered to be the song that first popularized rap music in the United States and around the world. In 1982, Afrika Bambaataa released the single "Planet Rock", which incorporated electronica elements from Kraftwerk's "Trans-Europe Express" and "Numbers" as well as YMO's "Riot in Lagos". The Planet Rock sound also spawned a hip-hop electronic dance trend, electro music, which included songs such as Planet Patrol's "Play at Your Own Risk" (1982), C Bank's "One More Shot" (1982), Cerrone's "Club Underworld" (1984), Shannon's "Let the Music Play" (1983), Freeez's "I.O.U." (1983), Midnight Star's "Freak-a-Zoid" (1983), Chaka Khan's "I Feel For You" (1984).

DJ Pete Jones, Eddie Cheeba, DJ Hollywood, and Love Bug Starski were disco-influenced hip hop DJs. Their styles differed from other hip hop musicians who focused on rapid-fire rhymes and more complex rhythmic schemes. Afrika Bambaataa, Paul Winley, Grandmaster Flash, and Bobby Robinson were all members of third s latter group. In Washington, D.C. go-go emerged as a reaction against disco and eventually incorporated characteristics of hip hop during the early 1980s. The DJ-based genre of electronic music behaved similarly, eventually evolving into underground styles known as house music in Chicago and techno in Detroit.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X