USCHO Music Thread: We All Have A Crush On Shirley Manson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread: We All Have A Crush On Shirley Manson

Pretty cool documentary from Netflix on the Beatles. I dare Kep to watch with an open mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Pretty cool documentary from Netflix on the Beatles. I dare Kep to watch with an open mind.
      Anybody who thinks The Beatles were "the voice of the counter culture" must get their cultural orientation from the New York Times.

The Beatles were the acceptable, white suburban face of the 60's. As such they have an important place in the history of commercial music. I have no problem with them. Every decade has a Monster Pop Group that also did very good music (and outsells at least one other superstar band that made superior music).

20s Al Jolson (Jelly Roll Morton)
      30s Louis Armstrong (Duke Ellington)
      40s Glenn Miller (Benny Goodman)
      50s Elvis (Miles Davis)
      60s The Beatles (Rolling Stones)
      70s Led Zeppelin (Pink Floyd)
      80s Michael Jackson (Prince)
      90s Metallica (Nirvana)
      00s Beyonce (Dr. Dre)
      10s Drake (Kanye, I guess, though I don't get it)

All very talented acts. Nothing wrong with any of them. All 20 belong in the HOF.

So what? Big deal.
      Last edited by Kepler; 12-29-2019, 08:11 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So learned. Except when you don't want to.

Comment

"Cannonball"- The Breeders
          Some L7 (I forget the song, but they are amazing)
          Veruca Salt- "Volcano Girls"
          "Celebrity Skin"- Hole
          "You Oughta Know"- Alanis
          "#1 Crush"- Garbage
          "Extraordinary"- Liz Phair
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

My favorite song by L7 is "Shirley." Close second is "Sh*list"
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

So learned. Except when you don't want to.
              This isn't an information problem, Slap. De gustibus non est disputandum. I'll listen to the Fab Four, but I'll listen to 500 other bands from the 60s too. I know this hurts you deeply, and I'm sorry.

I'm sure your daddy can beat up my daddy. Mine's dead. Find some other way to bolster your ego, please. This is unhealthy.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                This isn't an information problem, Slap. De gustibus non est disputandum. I'll listen to the Fab Four, but I'll listen to 500 other bands from the 60s too. I know this hurts you deeply, and I'm sorry.

I'm sure your daddy can beat up my daddy. Mine's dead. Find some other way to bolster your ego, please. This is unhealthy.
                Holy s**t. Perhaps you need to look in the mirror because you talk about them as if one of them slept with your mother rather than just being a band to enjoy or not.

People like what they like I have never taken offense to that. You will never see me rip into someone for what they like. You don't have to like them, but when discussing their legacy or historical significance perhaps you'd prefer to not come across as woefully uneducated if not outright idiotic.

Seriously I didn't make this personal but if that's your game gfy.

Comment

Holy s**t. Perhaps you need to look in the mirror because you talk about them as if one of them slept with your mother rather than just being a band to enjoy or not.
                  No.

I don't care about them either way. They're in the top 10 of anybody sane's '60s bands. They don't make my '60s Rushmore and they make your all-time Rushmore and I am fine with that difference. You are not. You get viscerally angry and go out of your way to call me out when they are mentioned like Handy getting angry that I don't worship Scorsese (the movie equivalent to the Beatles, in many ways).

The thing you need to keep in mind is you're the only one fighting. I doubt I give the Beatles any thought at all between the times you give me snark. This is living in your head, son. Now chill... til the next episode.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    My favorite song by L7 is "Shirley." Close second is "Sh*list"
                    It was "Pretend We're Dead." Awesome song.
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                      It was "Pretend We're Dead." Awesome song.
                      Given your recent tastes, check out Shirley.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        No.

I don't care about them either way. They're in the top 10 of anybody sane's '60s bands. They don't make my '60s Rushmore and they make your all-time Rushmore and I am fine with that difference. You are not. You get viscerally angry and go out of your way to call me out when they are mentioned like Handy getting angry that I don't worship Scorsese (the movie equivalent to the Beatles, in many ways).

The thing you need to keep in mind is you're the only one fighting. I doubt I give the Beatles any thought at all between the times you give me snark. This is living in your head, son. Now chill... til the next episode.
                        No.

Apparently the lack of exclamation points, mad faces and all caps made me look angry?

Again I don't care if anyone likes what I like. What I object to are people speaking to a subject they're clearly uninformed about. The documentary was well written and informative and I would have shared it had you existed here or not. Get over yourself.

Oh and no they don't make my musical Rushmore for the record. I just openly recognize what they actually accomplished (rather than the made up narrative in your head) and appreciate their significance. I would argue the same way if someone were to try and reduce the influences of Robert Johnson, Dylan, James Brown, 2Pac, Michael Jackson, Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Prince, etc., and only PF would likely make my musical Rushmore.

Finally you took this to a level I had not so asking me to chill is a bit disingenuous. Que sera, sera.

Comment

Given that it's almost midnight, I have the Dance Party playlist going on Spotify... even though my doctor doesn't want me dancing

Comment

Sexy back, Justin Timberlake?

*looks in mirror* **** never left.

Comment

Listened to the reissued Abbey Road...Uhm, guitars and vocals A+, drums and bass D. *** are they thinking??? For each time you hear a vocal or guitar more clearly it’s to the detriment of the rhythm section somehow. It’s a very odd listen. Andci’m Listening via Bose speakers connected to my turntable...
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                                Listened to the reissued Abbey Road...Uhm, guitars and vocals A+, drums and bass D. *** are they thinking??? For each time you hear a vocal or guitar more clearly it’s to the detriment of the rhythm section somehow. It’s a very odd listen. Andci’m Listening via Bose speakers connected to my turntable...
                                It's probably not fair to critique music created by studio engineers who don't have access to audio equipment as good as yours. :-)
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X