USCHO Music Thread: We All Have A Crush On Shirley Manson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread: We All Have A Crush On Shirley Manson

If you could possess the body of one musician/singer for just one song from just one live performance who/what/when/where/why would it be?

Who: David Gilmour
    What: Comfortably Numb
    When: July 2, 2005
    Where: Hyde Park, London
    Why: One of the greatest songs of all times, with one of the greatest guitar solos of all time, during the one and only full member reunion of Pink Floyd.

If not:

Who: Billy Preston
    What: I've Got A Feeling
    When: January 30, 1969
    Where: Apple Corps rooftop, London
    Why: If you have to ask

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      If you could possess the body of one musician/singer for just one song from just one live performance who/what/when/where/why would it be?
      Maria Callas, 40, "Vissi d'Arte" at Covent Garden; 22 January 1964. If I'm going to experience life as a woman, it might as well be as the woman.

David Vanian, 20, "New Rose" at Brighton; 15 June 1977. The purest stupidest most violent energy of punk.

Muddy Waters, 47, "Hoochie Coochie Man" at the Newport Jazz Festival; 3 July 1960. Suffering, wisdom, triumph, and the deepest blues, all with a wry smile.
      Last edited by Kepler; 01-09-2020, 04:14 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Who: Adam Duritz
        What: Holiday In Spain
        When: July 2009
        Where: Muskegon, MI
        Why: My favorite Counting Crows song at a venue I used to spend a lot of time at.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Freddie Mercury
          We Are The Champions
          Live Aid
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
            Freddie Mercury
            We Are The Champions
            Live Aid
            Nah, Radio Gaga.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
              Nah, Radio Gaga.
              I hate that *ing chorus, though. If no Champions, then Hammer.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Neil Peart is gone. I’m ****ing crushed.

https://youtu.be/8dvA9AUvy8Y
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Screw their adolescent libertarianism and their asinine regressive junior high school politics. I am a hardcore Marxist here to tell you that Rush was fantastic and Neil Peart was a god.

May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest, Neil. You accomplished 1000x what I ever will.

If any of you can stand almost 20 minutes of the boys just doing their thing with zero attention to commercial appeal, Cygnus is where I would like them to end up. Well, that and Warren Cromartie Secondary School:

You'll be missed, f-cker.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 01-11-2020, 03:04 AM.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/beat...p-vinyl-album/

Nielsen Music's report on U.S. music sales in the '10s confirmed the Beatles' Abbey Road as the best-selling vinyl album of the decade.

Year-to-year album sales increased nearly 15 percent in 2019, up to 18.8 million sold. But new releases made up only 33 percent of total vinyl sales last year, with catalog LPs accounting for the rest.

The decade's Top 10 is likewise dominated by older releases, including classic vinyl from Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac and Miles Davis.

The Beatles bested Floyd's second-place finisher The Dark Side of the Moon by nearly 200,000 units. Only one original album from the '10s appears in the decade-ending tally: Lana Del Rey's Born to Die. The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack, though issued in 2014, is comprised of songs from the '60s and '70s.

Abbey Road returned as an expanded box-set reissue last year in commemoration of its 50th year. That helped the Beatles to the No. 1 spot in U.S. vinyl sales for 2019; Billie Eilish's When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? was runner up.

The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band, which also saw a massive reissue in 2017, made the decade-ending Top 10, as well. Queen rode interest in the Bohemian Rhapsody biopic to two spots on the year-end sales list: Greatest Hits 1 finished third in 2019, and the film's soundtrack ended up at No. 5.

Top 10 Best-Selling Vinyl Albums of the '10s

1. The Beatles – Abbey Road (558,000)
                    2. Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon (376,00)
                    3. Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Vol. 1 (367,000)
                    4. Bob Marley and the Wailers – Legend (364,000)
                    5. Amy Winehouse – Back to Black (351,000)
                    6. Michael Jackson – Thriller (334,000)
                    7. The Beatles – Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (313,000)
                    8. Fleetwood Mac – Rumours (304,000)
                    9. Miles Davis – Kind of Blue (286,000)
                    10. Lana Del Rey – Born to Die (283,000)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Screw their adolescent libertarianism and their asinine regressive junior high school politics. I am a hardcore Marxist here to tell you that Rush was fantastic and Neil Peart was a god.

May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest, Neil. You accomplished 1000x what I ever will.

If any of you can stand almost 20 minutes of the boys just doing their thing with zero attention to commercial appeal, Cygnus is where I would like them to end up. Well, that and Warren Cromartie Secondary School:

You'll be missed, f-cker.
                      Amen brother. If you haven’t seen Beyond The Lighted stage I highly recommend it.

And Cygnus X-1 is one hell of a jam, and a fun sci-fantasy story to boot!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        If you haven’t seen Beyond The Lighted stage I highly recommend it.
                        I haven't. Thanks.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          I haven't. Thanks.
                          😀🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦

https://youtu.be/TKDPdcWdpvc

Comment

The Jayhawks:

Baby, Baby, Baby
                            Save It For A Rainy Day
                            Waiting For The Sun
                            Smile
                            Blue
                            I'm Gonna Make You Love Me

Comment

I'd not heard this before. Very nice.

The discussion with dx got me thinking about Steely Dan as an example of a band I hated in my teens, 20s, and 30s. In my 40s I ran into the story of how they put their music together and how (insanely) meticulous every note and phrase is. It's an example of music which I came to love by studying it. It reminds me of the quote, "Wagner is better than it sounds." Music is not just first listen: you like it or you don't. Like other tastes it changes over time and with context.

When this came out I dismissed it as muzak. Now I think it's one of the finest compositions in rock history, with "depths of no bottom."
                              Last edited by Kepler; 01-14-2020, 09:19 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                I'd not heard this before. Very nice.

The discussion with dx got me thinking about Steely Dan as an example of a band I hated in my teens, 20s, and 30s. In my 40s I ran into the story of how they put their music together and how (insanely) meticulous every note and phrase is. It's an example of music which I came to love by studying it. It reminds me of the quote, "Wagner is better than it sounds." Music is not just first listen: you like it or you don't. Like other tastes it changes over time and with context.

When this came out I dismissed it as muzak. Now I think it's one of the finest compositions in rock history, with "depths of no bottom."
                                Music, in a technical sense, probably could be perfect, and I'm sure there are some examples out there. However, because it IS art, people's opinions vary widely. For the most part, I'm not a fan of classical music overall, but I can appreciate the talent that is there. On the flipside, a LOT of people hate punk or rap, even though I am a huge fan.

Heck, people trash disco all the time, yet that was the precursor to techno, or the snobbish term "Electronic Dance Music," aka EDM that has been the rage for the last few years.

Comment

Working...
                                X