What The Fark 6: FARK OFF!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    A grad school friend and her husband, both PhDs, just shared on Facebook that they lost their life savings to a scam. They finally saved up enough to buy a house in the DC area. The scammer inserted itself in between them and the title company, and basically provided fake account info for them to send the down payment to. They are working with the FBI, but the money is likely just gone. Absolutely horrible. They said all the documentation from the scammer looked perfect - coming from the right email address, right fonts and format, perfect English, etc.

I would certainly have never thought to call the title company directly on a verified number to confirm the transfer details - but you bet your *** I will the next time.
    At all the closings I have been at all the finance people have been adamant about checking everything every step of every way and doing everything in protected transactions. We have completed our transactions by going to the brick and mortar bank and going through the process using their local systems dedicated connections.

This absolutely happens.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I would certainly have never thought to call the title company directly on a verified number to confirm the transfer details - but you bet your *** I will the next time.
      Not sure if it is a more recent thing but when I closed on a house 2 years ago, this was recommended to me several times (and I did do it).

In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
      I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

Not sure if it is a more recent thing but when I closed on a house 2 years ago, this was recommended to me several times (and I did do it).
        Every time I've closed on a house or refinanced, I just had to bring a single check to an in-person meeting that covers all closing related-costs. I'm confused why you need to deal with the title company directly?

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Every time I've closed on a house or refinanced, I just had to bring a single check to an in-person meeting that covers all closing related-costs. I'm confused why you need to deal with the title company directly?
          For the initial purchase, I was in another state and wired money to the title company (or bank, cannot remember the exact details at this time) which I think is similar to the situation described where an scammer inserted themselves and got the money instead. Either way, I made several phone calls the day of transfer to ensure details of the transaction.
          Last edited by WisconsinWildcard; 06-21-2022, 07:31 PM.

I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• That's why I worked directly with the bank.

Thats ****ing tragic though lynah. I don't even know how they recover from that.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              That's why I worked directly with the bank.

Thats ****ing tragic though lynah. I don't even know how they recover from that.
              Absolutely devastating, especially since they were buying the house due to a new, very, very, very long awaited baby. They are absolutely shattered.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Wait, please tell me it wasn't the full value of the home. In dc.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

A grad school friend and her husband, both PhDs, just shared on Facebook that they lost their life savings to a scam. They finally saved up enough to buy a house in the DC area. The scammer inserted itself in between them and the title company, and basically provided fake account info for them to send the down payment to. They are working with the FBI, but the money is likely just gone. Absolutely horrible. They said all the documentation from the scammer looked perfect - coming from the right email address, right fonts and format, perfect English, etc.

If you don't mind me asking, how did the scammer insert themselves? Did the scammer call first?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

For the initial purchase, I was in another state and wired money to the title company (or bank, cannot remember the exact details at this time) which I think is similar to the situation described where an scammer inserted themselves and got the money instead. Either way, I made several phone calls the day of transfer to ensure details of the transaction.
                    Same here. It was April 2021, so I think everything was still being done non-in-person as much as possible. I think I called the person on the other end to check a lot of details, partly because I was nervous and partly because we were getting close to running out of time in the closing period and I wanted to make sure everyone was done without any additional mistakes that would delay things. I also had to go in-person t Chase to do the wire based on the size (#humblebrag) so maybe they would have been able to detect anything.

(None of this is meant to imply LF's friends did anything wrong, a lot of this is there-but-for-the-grace-of-god-go-I, because I knew squat about buying a home and would have been the perfect patsy.)

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

If you don't mind me asking, how did the scammer insert themselves? Did the scammer call first?
                      There were both calls and emails, but I don't know which was first.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Wait, please tell me it wasn't the full value of the home. In dc.
                        Just the downpayment, but these people have only been gainfully employed (grad stipends don't count) for about 10 years, so scraping together a DC downpayment in that time is actually pretty good.

Comment

(None of this is meant to imply LF's friends did anything wrong, a lot of this is there-but-for-the-grace-of-god-go-I, because I knew squat about buying a home and would have been the perfect patsy.)
                          Same here. I just followed my bank's instructions. The bank was SUPER careful and serious, so I was too.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

And to clarify, I was not trying to imply that they did anything wrong. Just that I remember the fear of god being put in me by the professionals helping me through the process.

Comment

• Lots of people on the edge. Arm the sandwich makers

https://***********/phil_lewis_/stat...4VGgNaRNr7wIlw

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                Lots of people on the edge. Arm the sandwich makers

https://***********/phil_lewis_/stat...4VGgNaRNr7wIlw
                                Please, they're "Sandwich Artists." :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X