X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LynahFan
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Fun fact - I tried to help Yale fix their IT asset management processes a handful of years ago. If they had an automated process and a discovery tool deployed, this woman would have been caught years ago when purchased and supposedly received assets were never tagged and never appeared in production or during an audit of stockroom inventory.
    Yeah, this would have been caught within a quarter or two at any competent government contractor. If I were Yale, I would have just let her get away with it so I didn't have to admit that I was so incompetent at basic business functions.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Where does she find the time?

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/29/10895...from-the-unive

$40M at $10K per transaction is 1.6 fraudulent transactions every single workday for 10 years straight.
    Fun fact - I tried to help Yale fix their IT asset management processes a handful of years ago. If they had an automated process and a discovery tool deployed, this woman would have been caught years ago when purchased and supposedly received assets were never tagged and never appeared in production or during an audit of stockroom inventory.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

Certainly. But knowing what I know about hospital administrations, it would be tough to steal that much without anyone would notice. I work in a relatively large, well funded department and we only get 4K each a year for education/computer/conferences. She was likely doubling our entire departments spending on those things annually, and then stealing all of it.
    Sometimes coworkers and I joke about that. How much could we get away with before getting caught and sent to FPYITA prison?

$40M isn't totally insane. But I think it is at the absolute limit though. $10k per day is beyond credible. I don't disagree with you or Lynah. Someone would notice that. Even $1k per day is pretty crazy. I think the most someone managed to embezzle from our company (ever) was like $2M over a years and years. That was a good 20 years ago though. There are several layers of protection now.

which brings me back to our thought experiment. We usually figure it's at most about $100k before someone would catch it. Not worth it. I'd rather stick to stealing office supplies.

edit: the more I think about it, the more I wonder if this $40M was somehow as inflated as a Yale ego

Leave a comment:

• WisconsinWildcard
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

It's yale. Doesn't their aquatic team practice in cash?
    Certainly. But knowing what I know about hospital administrations, it would be tough to steal that much without anyone would notice. I work in a relatively large, well funded department and we only get 4K each a year for education/computer/conferences. She was likely doubling our entire departments spending on those things annually, and then stealing all of it.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

Yeah the math just doesn't make sense to me. I have no idea how a school, let alone a department of a school, could not see this early on.
    It's yale. Doesn't their aquatic team practice in cash?

Leave a comment:

• Proud2baLaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    What the fuck did I just watch?

Leave a comment:

• WisconsinWildcard
    replied

$40M at $10K per transaction is 1.6 fraudulent transactions every single workday for 10 years straight.
    Yeah the math just doesn't make sense to me. I have no idea how a school, let alone a department of a school, could not see this early on.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

Not to condone her crimes, but I imagine if she even received 10% of the value of the stolen goods (and it was likely higher) it must hqve been the adrenaline that prevented from shutting it all down after she cleared her first million.
    Also after she was questioned and got away with it. I don't mind an embezzler. Just not a reckless one.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied

Not to condone her crimes, but I imagine if she even received 10% of the value of the stolen goods (and it was likely higher) it must hqve been the adrenaline that prevented from shutting it all down after she cleared her first million.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Huh.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I actually saw a discussion on that phrase recently. Who coined it, or something like that.

also, don't these kids have to memorize the preamble anymore?
    No Schoolhouse Rock! anymore. Considered too intellectually demanding.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Overheard while dropping eaves at the airport: college kid behind me was asking/testing his friends about where the phrase, "We the People," came from (don't know why). He was adamant it was from the Declaration of Independence and his friends all agreed with him after the fact.

Worst part is that even though I knew he was wrong, he was so confident I had to double check myself.
    I actually saw a discussion on that phrase recently. Who coined it, or something like that.

also, don't these kids have to memorize the preamble anymore?

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Oh Facebook:

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Overheard while dropping eaves at the airport: college kid behind me was asking/testing his friends about where the phrase, "We the People," came from (don't know why). He was adamant it was from the Declaration of Independence and his friends all agreed with him after the fact.

Worst part is that even though I knew he was wrong, he was so confident I had to double check myself.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X