Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead Thread 2021 -- If you're reading this, it isn't you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suffer, Pope!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=I...ature=youtu.be

RIP Judy, Judy, Juuuuudy.

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
      Rapper Coolio.

Had some hits in the 1990s, including "Gangsta's Paradise" and "Fantastic Voyage."
      Coolio also voiced Kwanza Bot on Futurama (only appeared on a few episodes I think). Apparently he recorded some lines for it for the new 20 episode run and they will use them. May have been one of the last things he did as they said he recorded then only about 2 weeks before his death.

Comment

• Former Imus in the Morning producer Bernard McGuirk. Cancer at 64.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• "Right Turn on Red" in DC has died. Actually it still needs the Mayor's signature and will happen in 2025.

The same bill will allow bicyclists to do an Idaho stop (treat stop signs as yield signs).
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• I honestly don't see the pros to allowing Idaho stops.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              I honestly don't see the pros to allowing Idaho stops.
              For a cyclist it saves a lot of energy not having to repeatedly start from a dead stop every block. It is much more efficient to slow down to say 5 MPH than to actually stop.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

For a cyclist it saves a lot of energy not having to repeatedly start from a dead stop every block. It is much more efficient to slow down to say 5 MPH than to actually stop.
                I guess I'm still of the opinion that if bikers want to be treated like cars they should follow the same rules.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I guess I'm still of the opinion that if bikers want to be treated like cars they should follow the same rules.
                  Yeah, cause cars always come to a full stop at stop signs. Always.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Ban cars from cities, ban bikes from country roads, and let them duel on suburban streets.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

The problem with making rolling stops legal is that you go from that to just blowing through the intersection because humans when given an inch take a mile.
                      Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Ban cars from cities, ban bikes from country roads, and let them duel on suburban streets.
                        Yes
                        Code:

Comment

A few years ago, I got a ticket while bike riding here https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8785...7i16384!8i8192. Note the signs beneath the stop signs. I ride there almost everyday, and no cyclists and maybe a quarter of the motorized vehicles actually come to a complete stop unless there is traffic which is fairly rare. The USNPS police officer who issued the ticket was not in a patrol car but rather standing on the sidewalk.

Edit: And virtually none of the cars come close to obeying the current 15 MPH speed limit. (Changed this year from 20 in most places in East Potomac Park a.k.a. Hains Point)
                          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 10-10-2022, 01:10 AM.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The problem with making rolling stops legal is that you go from that to just blowing through the intersection because humans when given an inch take a mile.
                            So then ticket those who do. it's not rocket surgery.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

A few years ago, I got a ticket while bike riding here https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8785...7i16384!8i8192. Note the signs beneath the stop signs. I ride there almost everyday, and no cyclists and maybe a quarter of the motorized vehicles actually come to a complete stop unless there is traffic which is fairly rare. The USNPS police officer who issued the ticket was not in a patrol car but rather standing on the sidewalk.

Edit: And virtually none of the cars come close to obeying the current 15 MPH speed limit. (Changed this year from 20 in most places in East Potomac Park a.k.a. Hains Point)
                              As you should have.

Look, I'm a cyclist. Nothing pizzes me off more than to see another cyclist blow through a stop sign or a red light. Most of the time, it's done by kids or adults who are occasional riders, not the hard core fitness types, and usually it's because they don't know any better. But when I see someone who's a more serious rider do it, yeah, it bugs me. That's what makes drivers resent and even hate us, and one day, they might take that resentment out by cutting me off, or passing me too close, just for kicks. I saw a local teacher, who's also the coach of the ;ocal school's mountain bike team, just ride through a red light one day. He should know better, and he should be setting an example.

That said, if i come to a stop sign, and there's no one coming, and I'm making a right turn, I'm not fully stopping. Even if I'm going straight through, if it's clear, I'm slowing down, almost to a stop, but I'm not putting a foot down unless I absolutely have to. I can guarantee you my rolling stop is a lot slower than any cars who do the same. Safer too, because if I'm screwing up by doing so, I'm gonna be the one who gets schwacked, not anyone else.

Comment

As you should have.

Look, I'm a cyclist. Nothing pizzes me off more than to see another cyclist blow through a stop sign or a red light. Most of the time, it's done by kids or adults who are occasional riders, not the hard core fitness types, and usually it's because they don't know any better. But when I see someone who's a more serious rider do it, yeah, it bugs me. That's what makes drivers resent and even hate us, and one day, they might take that resentment out by cutting me off, or passing me too close, just for kicks. I saw a local teacher, who's also the coach of the ;ocal school's mountain bike team, just ride through a red light one day. He should know better, and he should be setting an example.

That said, if i come to a stop sign, and there's no one coming, and I'm making a right turn, I'm not fully stopping. Even if I'm going straight through, if it's clear, I'm slowing down, almost to a stop, but I'm not putting a foot down unless I absolutely have to. I can guarantee you my rolling stop is a lot slower than any cars who do the same. Safer too, because if I'm screwing up by doing so, I'm gonna be the one who gets schwacked, not anyone else.
                                I certainly was guilty, but from what you wrote in the remainder of your post, you would have done the same thing which I am sure that you would. I still have the ticket. It states "passing stop sign without coming to a full stop". That is, I did slow down and look. I did not say so in my earlier message, but I was making a right turn. Considering how many times I go through that stop sign and the two others when going around the 3.27 mile-loop, I would be broke at $50 each time. :-) And riders in pelotons do the same thing while also breaking the 15-MPH speed limit. BTW, if I am turning left which I do to go home, I often stop completely in the median because cars (and bikes) coming from the right don't have a stop sign. (And if I am going straight I will end up in the Washington Channel which is not a good idea. :-D )
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X